Getting ready to stop using Vetsulin, Questions!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by curbdiggercarl, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curbdiggercarl

curbdiggercarl New Member

First time posting, brand new member. I'm about to stop using Vetsulin, after reading of the ban. I've been going to Banfield out here in Denver, and feel that I've gotten the run-around. They never told me about the recall, never that I could use human syringes, basically lied about everything. Not happy.
    Questions...

1. Should I go to a new vet, and explain situation, starting from scratch with all my cats' testings?
    2. Switching from Vetsulin to a new form of insulin, will the iu amounts be the same?
    3. Can I demand a prescription (to be purchased elsewhere),for the new insulin from Banfield, if I stay with them?
    4. Any other help would be appreciated.

I realize that many of these question probably have already been asked, so i appologize in advance.
    Carl

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

There was never a recall of Vetsulin. An advisory was issued but it was not recalled. A lot of vets do not want client using U100 (human) syringes with U40 insulin because it can lead to confusion about what dose is being given. This is especially try if one has to go to an ER. Therefore, it is not clear to me that Bainfield lid to you.

However, from reports Bainfield does not get god marks from most people but one can find a good vet there occasionally. Since you seem not to have faith in Bainfield I would probably find a new vet. I do not understand what you mean by "starting from scratch with all my cats' testings". I would get a copy of all your cat's records from Bainfield and bring them to your new vet. Depending upon the available information, a plan can be developed.

When switching insulin the amounts are not generally the same. The starting dose for the new insulin will depend upon how well the kitty is doing with the old insulin and the specific new insulin. In a lot of cases if the cat is on a dose of greater than 1 unit of insulin but not on a high dose, starting at one unit is probably appropriate. It really depends upon the the cat's history.

About half the states' veterinarian laws require the vet write a prescription if asked.

Are you home testing your cat's blood glucose levels? If not, it is recommended that you start. You can save money and do a better job.

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Greetings from Colorado Springs! We have several members in Denver. If you put Denver on your subject line, maybe one of our members can suggest a feline diabetes vet for you.

Yes, in Colorado, you need a vet to prescribe insulin. If you check out the Insulin Support groups on this site: viewforum.php?f=5 you'll see that most people are using Lantus, Levemir or PZI. Looking at the stickies at the top of each page and reading some of the posts will give you an idea of how the insulins work, and how they are alike and different.

Second Larry on hometesting. One of the most important things we do for our cats is to hometest them: http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/harry/bgtest.htm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zE12-4fVn8

Don't worry - we all asked the same things at the beginning. Start doing some research here with the FAQ's and come back often with questions: http://www.felinediabetes.com/fdmb-faq.htm

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.