Getting the Prozac IN the cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock

carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock Well-Known Member

I'm going to be moving to a rental soon and realized that the owners would probably not appreciate cats that spray. :sad: The spraying is totally behavioral and has been going on for years.

I got a prescription for Prozac for 4 of my cats. Wizard is the major sprayer, Kenny pees on bedding (these 2 stay in the catio and are not allowed in the house), Danny sprays - he's easily intimidated by everyone (especially Wizard and Kenny) and will pee on my bed. And Spock is my DCIN kitty that still does not want to meet my other cats and can still be mean to me.

I got Pill Pockets (the vet only had chicken). I gave everyone a small bit with no pill. Kenny and Spock gobbled it up. Wizard and Danny refused to eat it. I can pill Wizard if I have to, but no way I could pill Danny.

So my question is - how does one get a pill into their cat without adding stress????

Thanks for any advice!

2. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

I have put the pills in a little soft velveeta cheese or cream cheese and they have taken it without problems

3. Melissa and Bailey

Melissa and Bailey Well-Known Member

You might try crushing it and mixing with a little tuna - I have had luck with that. Prozac is really bitter though, so it may not work.

We burrito Bailey to pill her (she won't eat pill pockets either). It is likely to be stressful at first, I realize, but once you get a few doses of Prozac into them that won't be such a big deal. Good luck!

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Try putting it a #4 gelcap pilling the cat with a pill gun. As other have said, it tastes awful.

5. Melissa and Bailey

Melissa and Bailey Well-Known Member

Larry is right - the gelcaps help a lot. I do use them, and #4 is usually the smallest you can find which is good. I use my finger instead of a pill gun. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you are successful!

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Prozac can be compounded into an ointment you rub inside the ears.

7. nwnews

nwnews Member

Most vets give pill poppers - basically its a large syringe with the end cut off. You stick the pill popper either in a really mushy food (like Hills AD) or baby food (heinz has chicken, beef, ham, lamb varieties) and draw a bit of food up. Then put the pill in the middle - open kitties mouth and push the lever. Most will taste the food and the swallow reflex kicks in. I have also done the gelcaps if its a bad tasting medication - any healthfood store (especially whole foods) sells them.

8. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

petco has the duck and pea pill pockets and they are safe for diabetics. i wrapped punkin's AB in the pill pockets and pushed them down his throat with my hand for 18 days, then he woke up and grabbed the pill pocket from me. decided it was good and now i throw them on the floor.

see if you have any luck with a different flavor, especially for spock or jesse. there's at least 1 more flavor too - i've seen 3 in the store, i think.

9. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Laughing cow soft cheese.
    It's gooey and just about impossible to spit back out.
    I give any pills in the cheese, giving a small piece of plain cheese first, then a couple pieces after the piece with the pill.
    Crushing will leave the taste in the cat's mouth; revenge will follow shortly afterward.
    The gel caps are a great idea though if you want to prepare the pills... one of the meds I got were pieces in gel caps and they went down easily with a thin coat of cheese on it.

10. carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock

carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock Well-Known Member

Thanks for the ideas - I think I'll try the gooey cheese.
    I wouldn't dare try to restrain Danny or try to put anything in his mouth! :eek:

11. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I get Mittens compounded into the PLO gel that gets rubbed into his ear.

12. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Check with the vet or pharmacy if the pills can be crushed. Some medication should not be crushed because it is time released. If it can be crushed, here is the method I use to give Callie her medication. I crush the pill and then crush a few pieces of dry kitten chow with the pill. I then sprinkle the pill mixture on top of her canned food. The kitten chow pieces hide the taste of the pills.

13. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

When Gabby stopped eating pill pockets I would put the pill in something squishy I could mold around the pill like American cheese, and then roll it in tuna, canned salmon, turkey, etc. Any thing is good as long as your cat loves it enough to gobble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.