GI Upset- advice?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Libby T, Jul 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Libby T

Libby T New Member

I posted a few days ago to the facebook page and I got some good insight, but my saga continues... A little background- Pete was DX at the end of July. He seems to be diet controlled based on home testing. He eats FF. Years ago he seemed to have an issue with beef FF so I only give him turkey or chicken. On Wednesday evening I gave him half a can of FF Turkey and giblets before bed. On Thursday (7/11) I woke up to a massive amount of vomit on the floor. I seriously thought he was terribly ill by how bad it looked. He was clearly a bit lethargic, but mostly just hungry. I fed him chicken FF and all seemed well until he tried to use the litter box. I watched him enter 2-3 times in an hour and then come out and scoot across the floor :( Someone suggested constipation so I gave him some miralax with dinner around 5pm. Around 9pm I found a soft poo in my closet on the floor.
    Yesterday, 7/12, he did not poop but he ate and drank as normal, although a bit more snuggly than usual. Today, he woke me up at 5am to eat and there was a normal poo in his box. YAY! Except a few hours later he had some diarrhea in his box. Now, he is refusing to eat. He usually eats 4 smalls meals per day and so far he only wanted his first one at 5am. Just out of curiosity I checked his BG (96) and gave him a tiny piece of dried salmon treat, which he ate right away. He then threw it up 10 minutes later :(

Could this still be constipation even if he's had diarrhea? Clearly his tummy is upset, but I'm not sure how long to wait before taking him to the vet or if there is something I can do at home to help him.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Libby, yes cats can have diarrhea when they are constipated. Here’s some info on constipation
    https://felineconstipation.org/
    A vet visit is probably in order since this has been going on for a few days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.