Giardia supplements?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by laur+danny+horde, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

Looking for any tips, especially any supplements that may assist with healing the intestines of giardia.

Long story short -- finally, after severals months of almost daily diarrhea and multiple vet visits and fecal tests, food allergy trials, deworming and a course of metronodiazole, Cocofang was just dx with giardia. He's my 3 year old boy that suffered a spinal/tail injury last May, leaving him unable to urinate or defecate on his own. Luckily he's extremely good natured and allowed whatever was needed, even several baths a day. OVer the year, his nerves healed enough so he is now able to do his business fairly reliably. He's been getting Fortiflora every day for weeks. The vet proposes panacur dosing which looks reasonable based on what I've read.

Does any one have experience with any of the following, sold as giardia remedies?
    - Karbo essentials
    - PetAlive
    - Nature's Herbs
    - Kocci Free

thanks in advance,
    laur

2. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I always thought Giardia needed strong anti-biotics.

I've had it and it's very unpleasant.

I wouldn't mess around with Snake Oil remedies. I'd get
    the proper meds from the vet.

3. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

Karen,

thanks and I'll ask about antibiotics. Sorry to be unclear, I wasn't suggesting using remedies instead of vet-provided meds (I picked up the panacur this morning) but rather to use in addition to the vet meds. I am a big believer in supplements after seeing how much they helped Danny during his chemotherapy, but I don't know what's the right thing for giardia.

laur

4. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Laur

I wouldn't bother with any giardia-specific supplements; standard intestinal or immune support should be fine. And panacur is good for giardia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.