Gigi's Lymphoma and Treatment Protocol

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sufi-Lynn, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sufi-Lynn

Sufi-Lynn New Member

Hi, Everyone -

Just to reiterate what's been happening with Gigi since I discovered the lumps on her throat, it was confirmed that she has lymphoma. The oncologist found a mass in her abdomen, along with abdominal lymph nodes that were swollen.

Gigi celebrated her 7th birthday on April 2nd, and is such a wonderfully playful and sweet girl. All the tests the oncologist ran showed that Gigi is in perfect health in every other aspect, which makes her a great candidate for the aggressive cancer treatment called the Wisconsin Protocol. She has a very good chance at attaining complete remission.

As many of you know, I've been unemployed since last April. The treatment protocol for Gigi costs over $5,300.00 in addition to the $1,600.00 in costs for diagnosis. It is very difficult for me to ask for help, but I don't know how else to save Gigi's life. I am so very grateful for the generous contributions made on Gigi's behalf so far. Venita has worked so hard to get the word out about Gigi's situation and needs. I'll forever be in her debt.

If you are able to make a donation, in any amount, you may do so through Venita's non-profit organization (http://fdmb-cin.blogspot.com/p/donatefundraising.html).

Gigi and I greatly appreciate your support and prayers...

Hugs to each of you and your precious furbabies,
    Lynn

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Hi ((((Lynn))))

Just to add some additional information that is documented on Lynn's blog here.

I have given Lynn IMOM's list of local fundraising ideas, and a list of organizations that might be able to provide grants, and Lynn sold her bead inventory to finance 2 weeks of chemo. Gigi doesn't qualify for IMOM help because even though she has a life-threatening condition, IMOM doesn't cover cancer. If you have other ideas for fundraisers, please let Lynn or me know.

DCIN has ~$550 restricted for Gigi, and that was raised for (and falls short of financing) the diagnostic phase. Those diagnostic costs were put on a line-of-credit that DCIN will pay once the interest-free period expires.

DCIN does not normally finance the needs of non-diabetic cats, but Lynn is a long-term, special member of this community and Gigi is a young, healthy cat. I am not asking for help for Gigi to the detriment of fundraisers for DCIN's sponsored diabetics, and Lynn knows that.

But if there is anything you can do to help Lynn pay for these treatments for Gigi, and would like to donate through DCIN for the tax deduction, please do so.

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear this Lynn but glad to hear she's in such good health and a plan is in motion

The Wisconsin Protocol is the one we used with my late Spazzie. I assume you will pay as you go along, with each treatment i mean? that's what my vet did (Dr. Hodgkins' old clinic). it didn't seem to sting as bad that way. we did do all the treatments at the vet clinic except for one, which she couldn't do at her clinic (the doxorubicin). For that I had to go to a cancer center.

the first week and the one where i had to go to the cancer center were the more expensive weeks of treatment. the Asparaginase the first week is expensive and sadly used only once in the protocol.

my vet helped cut costs by having me do the sub-q's before the treatments instead of paying them to do them. and one of the drugs were in pill form so the day we did our pre-chemo bloodwork, the vet sent me home with latex gloves and the pills and if the bloodwork was good, she called me and gave me the thumbs up to administer the pills. she also didn't charge "office visit" charges for all the bloodwork appointments or chemo days. just some ideas to maybe mention to your vet.

the cancer center did have some supplements i got to help with her anemia she developed. i have some of it left if you are interested. i'll get the names tonight when i get home and pm you the info so you can look into them if you want. (totally got pulled away by customers and lost my train of thought now)

4. Sufi-Lynn

Sufi-Lynn New Member

Hi Cindy!

Thank you SO MUCH for your generous offer!! I am so grateful for your thoughtfullness and for the cost-cutting tips. I truly wish that Dr. Hodgkins was still practicing :( But the Angel Care Cancer Center has been wonderful and the drive is much shorter for us. They don't charge for office visits, but I'll talk to them next Wednesday about giving Gigi the pills myself. That was her treatment this week; a pill and an intramuscular injection. I don't know if they have been giving her any sub-q fluids. It's not listed on the detailed treatment plan, but I'll be sure to ask about that, too. Anything to help lower the cost will help :) It's a good thing they let me pay each week for the treatment done at that time. Otherwise there would be no way I could do this.

I'll send you a PM with my address.

((Hugs)),
    Lynn and Gigi (sitting in mom's lap, snoozing happily as she types...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.