Ginger and Mr. Meow Meow

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gingembre1, Nov 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gingembre1

Gingembre1 Member

Hi, Ginger here with Mr. Meow Meow. Received the diabetes diagnosis today, have been in tears over the cost of managing this disease. I don’t know that I can afford it.

Attached Files:

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Ginger, and Mr Meow Meow. Welcome!

First off, reassuring (((((hugs)))))) to you. :bighug:

Quite a few folks are managing on a tight budget. There are ways of saving money when managing diabetes.
    Many of the supplies can be bought online cheaper than from your vet.
    And if you learn to test your cat's blood glucose at home (way easier than it sounds, and we DO recommend it) you shouldn't have to take your cat to the vet for 'curve' tests, and fructosamine tests.
    Furthermore, quite a number of cats will go into remission from their diabetes (and have their diabetes diet-controlled). And your cat might just be one of the lucky ones...

Do post on the main forum if you have any specific questions or concerns.

More hugs!

Eliz

3. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Ginger, I feel you on that fear. I remain absolutely terrified that I will have to let River go if she needs to be hospitalized again. I hope you find some good advice here. I can't recommend shopping on eBay for your BG test strips once you start monitoring at home. They're so much cheaper and just like you would get at the pharmacy. I paid $35 for 150 of them just the other day — I use the OneTouch Verio. Good luck! We are here for you!!:cat:

Gingembre1 likes this.
  4. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you tried contacting Diabetic Cats in Need? If you are on a low income, you may qualify for help through their organization. I am tagging @Chris & China as she works for the organization. She may be able to provide information and resources.

Also, here in our "supply closet" forum, people are always selling or giving away insulin and other supplies for a much lower cost than what you buy at the vet or a pharmacy. When my sweet Frosty passed, I gave away so many supplies either free or for a very low cost. Most of us want to pay it forward for all the wonderful advice and help we received here.

Hope this helps. Hang in there. :bighug: <3

Gingembre1 and Paigeworthy like this.
  5. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

I have my fingers crossed that River will go into remission at some point so I can pay it forward with a donation to DCIN!!

6. Gingembre1

Gingembre1 Member

Thank you, everyone! It helps so much to hear other peoples' experiences, fears, and successes.

I will definitely check out the supply closet forum, and I'm trying to figure out which glucose monitor to get. I'll be posting on the main forum with lots of questions as I try to figure all of this out.

So glad I found this amazing community!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.