Glad to be here.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Suzanne Burton, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suzanne Burton

Suzanne Burton Well-Known Member

Hi! I'm glad to be a part of this group - thanks for letting me join. My cat, LT, about 14 years old, was diagnosed today at a 451 and was started on Lantus, 1.0 U tonight. I tried testing tonight, but probably got a short sample. He's a black cat and has black pigment at the edge of his ears. Do any of you use the large foot pad for testing? I'm sure I'll get it with time. I'm looking to find out more about feeding and testing tips. BTW, I have a diabetic dog and I'm not as panicked as I was when he was diagnosed. However, I've a lot to learn because dogs and cats have different types of diabetes. Thanks again.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Suzanne and LT. I'm also glad you found FDMB and you will find lots of information and support here. We can definitely provide testing and feeding tips and you are going to get a lot more response if you post the questions in the Main Health forum. This Intro forum is just the welcome mat and more members monitor the Main Health forum in order to help.

If you would, please take a few minutes to create a signature so that LT's pertinent info is available whenever you post.
    1. Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the country/time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished. You can edit the signature if anything changes or needs to be added.

2. Another thing that will help us help you now that you have started BG testing at home is to set up a spreadsheet like the one we use here. You will see how the trends and patterns emerge, and members can review his progress before offering suggestions or advice:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

It's interesting that you have a diabetic dog too, and I think you are correct that each species diabetes are treated differently. I did some research for a neighbor with a diabetic dog this last winter and was pretty surprised at what I learned. I had hoped to find another resource just like this one for dogs, but I wasn't successful. If you like you can include the dog in your profile information (in which you can provide much more info than in the signature), because he's part of the family too! We love all the fuzzy four foots.

Just so you know, testing does get easier with practice and patience. It's just a new process that you and LT have to learn.
    Best wishes going forward Suzanne, I think you are going to find what you need here and we will help all we can. :cat:

Suzanne Burton likes this.
  3. Suzanne Burton

I've made a signature and, later today, will read up on the spreadsheet and get it started. I'll also include Tucker's information in my personal information. I'm a moderator on CDSI, the FB page which is the best FB resource for canine diabetes if anyone wants to know. We don't have a forum like this, but we have around 14 mods and admins on the page which watch for questions and problems 24/7.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

@Suzanne Burton ...you need to give us permission to see your spreadsheet. Go to the "share" in the top right corner and set it at "anyone with the link can view"

Looking forward to you adding a picture for your avatar pic too!

5. Suzanne Burton

I lost my pics when my old computer died. My husband will send me some that he has and then I'll post. I'll fix the spreadsheet.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  6. Suzanne Burton

Hmm, it doesn't give me the anyone with the link can view option.

7. Suzanne Burton

8. Chris & China (GA)

upload_2019-8-10_20-53-25.png

OR

click on "advanced" (in the bottom right corner) and change it here:

upload_2019-8-10_20-54-44.png

9. Suzanne Burton

Ok, got it figured out I think. Can someone check to make sure I did it right?

10. Chris & China (GA)

Good job!!

Now that you've got your spreadsheet going and your signature set, let's move you over to the Lantus forum....that's where you'll get the most experienced people to help you out!

Suzanne Burton likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.