Glucometer and strip pricing stress

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SpencerLindley, Dec 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpencerLindley

SpencerLindley Member

So I'm stressing about my glucometer strips/costs. The vet charges me 107$ for 50 strips and I use 6-10 a day right now because she is stabilizing. There is no way I can afford that over time. Especially right now because I'm not picking up shifts to be home with her. I've thought about a few different options

1. Using the freestyle lite strips in my AlphaTrak meter- My concern is that they won't be accurate or give me wrong readings or ruin the meter :/

2. Get a freestyle lite meter and freestyle lite strips- My concern is that Ill have to learn the conversion between human and kitty values in mmols because that is what my vet works with. I'm not sure if there is anyone on this site that can help me out with learning the conversion in mmol?

3. Get a Pettest meter and strips- the cost seems really good.. again I've heard mixed reviews about accuracy and that concerns me.

Any suggestions would be very helpful. She is of my utmost concern but I really feel like I can't do 107 dollars per week just on strips :(

2. nmveasey

nmveasey Member

$107 is outrageous for the test strips. Highway robbery there!

You can find the Alphatrak strips much cheaper on the internet. While not as cost effective as other strips (approx $1 per strip), I like that I’m using the same meter as my vet.

I purchased my last bottle of strips from AWD.com:
    https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/6971/alphatrak-pet-glucose-test-strips

AWD Diabetes also has coupons too.

I don’t have any experience with human meters, so I’m not much help there. There is a different spreadsheet if you go with a human meter.

I believe @JeffJ uses the freestyle lite strips with the Alphatrak meter.

I’m sure others will chime in soon.

Ballooee sure is a pretty girl!

SpencerLindley likes this.
  3. SpencerLindley

SpencerLindley Member

Thank you for your reply.. yeah it did seem really pricey.

I wanted to order from AWD but they don't ship to Canada that I am aware of.

@JeffJ Would I be able to ask you some more questions about using the freestyle lite strips? or does anyone have opinions/experience with this?

nmveasey likes this.
  4. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I would stress too. In your earlier thread I posted this:
    Tester = Alphatrack 2
    Strips = FreeStyle Lite, I get them off ebay. Last batch was $93 for 300 of them. So $0.30 apiece. Search the forums for previous threads on Alphatrak and FreeStyle - it is a common topic.

Other people use the Relion meter (from Walmart) and the strips are $0.10 or less there.

SpencerLindley likes this.
  5. SpencerLindley

SpencerLindley Member

Yes, thank you. I would love to use those strips but read different opinions on the accuracy which is what scares me. You have obviously found it to be accurate though? Which code do you use with them if you don't mind me asking (sorry if that is posted somewhere else).

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Here are some suggestions:
    • keep the AT meter for doing curves for your vet. Use a human meter for to day testing.
    • don't try to convert pet meter numbers to human and vice versa - there's no good conversion factor. They read closer at low BGs and farther apart (100+ points) at high BGs. Just learn the high/OK/low ranges on each. "Getting too low so take action" is 50 on a human meter and 68 on a pet meter.
    • converting from dg/mL to mmol/L is easy: take dg/mL number and divide it by 18 to get the equivalent in mmol/L. Multiply by 18 to convert the other way.

7. SpencerLindley

SpencerLindley Member

Thank you for your replies and patience with me. I realize that I probably sound like a dummy right now.. I've just been so stressed with her lately it's been difficult just to take a breath and think clearly at times.

8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

No, you don't sound like a dummy at all. There's SO much to absorb at the beginning - on top of getting used to the idea of having a diabetic kitty. Keep on asking questions! :):bighug:

Re human meters: many people in the US buy one of Walmart's ReliOn models. The strips are economical and readily available. I can't get these in Canada even though we have Walmart stores. I use a Freestyle Lite meter with Freestyle Lite strips and I like it. I have an AphaTrak meter but the test strip cost would put me in the poor house. :confused:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Critter Mom and Vader723 like this.
  9. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I used the freestyle light strips in my Alpha trek meeter and I didn't see any difference, even when I compared them using the same drop of blood.

I bought a Pettest meter as a spare in case the Alphatest had any problems. I liked the Pettest so much more I use it all the time. I found it to be more reliable and the numbers were more. Consistent.

10. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

"You have obviously found it to be accurate though? Which code do you use with them if you don't mind me asking (sorry if that is posted somewhere else)."

I agree with Donna - I see no difference in accuracy at all.
    I use code = 38

This is a lot to absorb, keep asking questions but remember the answers :) I have been using FreeStyle Lite in Alphatrak2 for 1.5 years now. They are accurate. There is history on the forum. Either someone confirmed, or concluded, that Freestyle Lite are the same strips, but not as well tested. Heck, even I can't remember. But I do know they work.

You can always do 2 tests to get started - one with AlphaTrak strips, (1 minute later) and 1 with FreeStyle Lite strips.

It is worth noting that all brands of strips, in all brands of meters have a 20% variation. So a reading of 200 could be:
    160 (200 - (.2 x 200))
    0r
    240 (200 + (.2 x 200))

We all use the results to guide us. Also you can test the same cat 10 or 20 minutes later and get some variation.

11. SpencerLindley

SpencerLindley Member

Thank you, I really appreciate it <3

Thank you for the information, I'm going tonight to buy the strips.

12. RamaMoo22

RamaMoo22 New Member

13. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It's cheaper on Adwdiabetes.com if you use a discount coupon from Retailmenot.com.

14. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I get Carepoint VET syringes at ADSdiabetics for under $13. They have half unit markings. That makes it easier to measure out the doses.

15. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Oh wow! Any pointers on if I can order them from anywhere to Switzerland would be most helpful. (I'll hunt around but if somebody knows...)

So, do we already have US people on the board ordering US stuff and shipping it to poor us in Europe?

16. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.