Glucometers--Freestyle Lite? Something Else?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Arkali, Aug 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkali

Arkali Member

So okay. I'm pretty inept so far at ear pricking. After this morning's fiasco, I figured I'd look at my other test meter. I developed diabetes myself as a result of crap eating habits and lupus. I'm off the juice thanks to eating keto, but I already had a OneTouch Delica and also a Freestyle Lite meter lying around. The OneTouch is what I used myself, so I've been using that, but it requires a bit more blood, though it does have the sipping action. But one of the selling points of the Freestyle Lite is that it requires very little blood. So I dusted it off (it's been on the shelf for 5+ years) and it needed a new battery. Raided the one from the Delica and used it. Gypsy's readings were really low this morning--79. Then her PreShot was also low, so I grabbed the Delica again and tested with that, and it was like a 60-point differential. I will say the lancet that came with the Freestyle works *much* better--heavier gauge and has a clear cap. Also, my vet's tech recommended the Contour Next. So, questions:

1) Would you stick with the Delica and just use the different lancet?
    2) Would you go with the Freestyle after getting a new one (you can get a free meter on their website)
    3) Would you switch to the Contour, which apparently needs a small sample and the strips are cheaper?

Thanks for reading my novel and for any advice :)

2. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

I use the FreeStyle Lite and order the strips off Amazon. Still they are pricey. If I had it to do over again, I would get a Walmart Reli-On Micro as their strips are apparently much cheaper. Although when I was in Walmart the other day I did not see the strips over the counter. Maybe one has to ask for them behind the pharmacy counter. Anyone know?

Arkali likes this.
  3. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I use alpha track and I do keep a bottle of the AT strips if Dre is running low but otherwise I use freestyle lite strips from eBay usually. I just got 100 for 47$
    if using the FS strips do not code just leave it on the feline code. I tried a human meter but I am too paranoid.

Arkali likes this.
  4. Arkali

Arkali Member

Thanks, @Bama Kitty Mom (AL) I'll have to look. $20 for 100 strips is a far cry from $1 / strip for OneTouch Delica strips.

5. Arkali

Arkali Member

@jayla-n-Drevon , whoa. It looks like Abbott makes both the Freestyle Lite and the AlphaTrak?

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

No longer true, been manufactured by separate companies for a couple years now.

7. Arkali

Arkali Member

Thanks, Wendy--good to know. My vet's tech recommended the Contour Next by Bayer. Apparently it also has cheaper strips / smaller sample size / second-chance testing, so I'll probably get one of those once I run out of the OneTouch strips.

8. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

9. Arkali

Arkali Member

Thank you, Jill!

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  10. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I thought they did but I see from reading they aren't--I can tell you I have tested side by side with the AT strips and they are most often within 5-10

AT uses a teeny bit of blood but I think region does too and probably others:cat:

Arkali likes this.
  11. Arkali

Arkali Member

Update: I got a Relion Micro tonight. My OneTouch is older than the hills and takes a HUGE drop of blood and Gypsy (and I) were having a hard time with it. After looking at the meter comparisons, it seemed like the Relion was the best bang for the buck. I'd love to get her a Freestyle, but $2500 a year made certain parts of me pucker :p Anyway, got 100 strips for $35 I think and the meter itself for like $15. It was easy-peasy to set up and the drop of blood it needed was downright microscopic compared to the One Touch. I'm pretty sure testing is going to be much less stressful from here on out :)

Rardito, Bama Kitty Mom (GA) and Esi like this.
  12. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

When I first got the Freestyle Lite I compared a reading with the vet's AT and there was 9 points difference. Now I have forgotten which one was actually the lower reading.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Arkali likes this.
  13. Arkali

Arkali Member

My FreeStyle Lite is WAY inaccurate. It's probably that the test strips are older than Methuselah. I'd have probably gotten new strips for it and tried again, but when I compared the price of strips vs. some of the other options, I decided to switch. It looks like the Relion is testing about 10 - 15 points lower than the OneTouch, but I'm okay with that. Not sure how it tests compared to the vet. I'll probably take it up there for her next checkup.

14. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I used the Micro and was very happy with it. I used to buy test strips on eBay often and saved a bundle. You just have to check the expiration dates before purchasing.

15. Arkali

Arkali Member

I just noticed a discrepancy in the two meters. 15 points-ish for me, 30 points for Gypsy. I'm not sure how worried I should be.

16. tiffmaxee

Meters can be 20% off. Nothing to worry about.you can’t really compare meters because of the variance. If you test again you will likely but not always get different numbers. You are looking for trends. If I ever got a really off number be it high or low I would retest with a backup meter.

Arkali likes this.
  17. Arkali

Arkali Member

I guess I'm just freaking out a little bit because while there's not a lot of difference between 220 and 250, there's a huge difference between 47 and 78, you know? I'll try to calm down though :)

18. tiffmaxee

They read closer at lower numbers. Try not to let this get you concerned.

Arkali likes this.
  19. Arkali

Arkali Member

I'm still freaking out a little about this. It also just occurred to me that this is more than a 20% difference--way more. At 100, 20% would be plus / minus 20. But it was 47 on the Relion, 78 on the One Touch. That's significant, at least to me. In fairness, when I tested it on myself, it was within the 20% (88 Relion, 101 OneTouch) Is the fact that she's a cat causing the extra jump? Sorry to be such a worrywart, but it's a little :eek: to me. I may call my vet tomorrow just to put my mind at ease.

EDIT: I've decided I need to just stop it. I'm going to drive myself, y'all, and the cat all nuts if I don't :p I'll just bear in mind that the Relion is probably testing a bit low and go from there. Thanks everyone for your patience!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  20. tiffmaxee

What if one tested 20% high and the other 20% lie on that one test? So many here have used the Telion and it’s worked. Perhaps it will help you to know human meters test lower on a cat than pet meters. That helps keep them safe since a 47 for example would be higher on a pet meter. Comparing meters will truly drive you nuts. I had s backup meter for times when the test was low to double check. That sometimes did drive me nuts too. Max never had a symptomatic hypo. If you follow the guidelines your cat will be safe.

Arkali likes this.
  21. Arkali

Arkali Member

Thanks, @tiffmaxee . I'm trying to not stress about this. Just holding her dose and monitoring for hypo since the numbers are low, but she seems to be doing well :)

22. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

You make me laugh, thank you! I agree that testing is going to be easier now, plus you are going to be more relaxed and i found that was half the battle.

23. Arkali

Arkali Member

Ha! I get that a lot (about making people laugh). It's the country girl in me, I swear. And yes, testing has gone much easier, plus I'm using a lancet device with a clear cap now, which makes it easier to aim. Testing / shots is (mostly) less than five minutes now. Although this morning it did not go well. That "better aim" is apparently only after caffeine :)

Esi and Idjit's mom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.