Glucose Meter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ann & Maggie11 (GA), Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I just found this message board and am so happy to have some info and support. My cat, Maggie, was just diagnosed with diabetes mellitus January 5, so I am a newbie to all of this and anxious to learn how to care for her. I've had limited contact with her Vet since the day after her diagnosis he was gone for 10 days, so mostly I've been talking to his Vet techs. Her glucose was 421 when she was first tested, and after a week of 2 units every 12 days, her glucose was 126 (2 days ago). My instructions so far are to bring her in weekly for glucose tests, but I really want to get started using a glucometer. I read somewhere on the site about Freestyle meters. There is a website http://www.animaldiabetes.com where an animal glucometer is being sold. It sounds from as much as I have read that the Free Style human one would be sufficient, right! I hesitate buying the one on line, as then I will need to buy the test strips online also. Has anyone heard about this one on animaldiabetes.com? Also, 1-800petmeds sells a pet glucometer. I need a meter right away as I may have to make a quick trip to my Mom's home, and if I get a cat sitter I want her to have a meter. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi

welcome to the FDMB

just passing by and thought I'd give u this link on human meter comparison's from Consumer Reports.

http://docs.google.com/View?docID=dd5ck ... on=_latest

The AlphTrak is quite pricey as are the strips, and typically only available at at vet's offices.

Are u located in the U.S?
    I highly recommend the Relion meters sold at U.S Walmarts.
    Many here use this one as it it reliable and inexpensive for strips.
    One Touch is also a good meter, but strips will be a bit more expensive.

Getting readings at the vets will get expensive, plus give u inaccurate results due to vet stress for kitty. You can test at home and I'm glad to hear u want to do this!
    Others will be along to guide u and offer feedback.
    :)

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

You can also request a newbie kit from here http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6. Several members donate meters to pass on to new members who would like to begin hometesting.

I also recommend the Walmart Relion meter. I have used it for several years and been very pleased with it.

4. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Thank you Ronnie & Luna and thank you also to Lisa & Witn,
    I live in southern California, so I am up early since 2:30 am! I will check out the Relion Meter today; I have a Walmart nearby. I take it that is fairly easy to use. Does the blood sample slide easily onto the strip?

I am so thankful for your support, as I have not had that much contact with my Vet, as he was out of pocket for a week and then tied up in surgery. Most of my communication has been with a Vet Assistant, so it's great to get others who have first hand and experience with sugarcats, as someone lovingly used that term to describe them. You can bet I will stay in touch.

5. Ronnie & Luna

With the Relion meter, there are a couple , maybe 3...the ones many use is the Relion Ultima, and the newest one is Relion Metric, I dont think this one is in the Consumer list, its pretty new.

But anyway, when u pick out your meter, u will want to make sure the test strips are compatible to that specific meter, so before u pay and walk out the door - check the box for that.

I've heard they are easy to use, I think it is easy to draw up the blood, but not sure on that, maybe others will chime in about that.

Other than it's a reliable meter, I'm assuming it's not a problem to suck up the blood.

Good luck to u and come back and ask more questions!
    :)

6. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Thank you Ronnie & Luna. I saw one of those Youtube videos demonstrating a blood sample, and the strip just sucked up the blood. Thanks again for your support.

7. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Hi,
    A question on the meter -- I looked at the consumer comparison chart, and the "Ease of using" was just a white circle while others had partially red. Does this mean the Relion is not that easy to use?

8. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Where in S. CA - there are several members in CA and some may be near you. They can provide in person support if you need help learning how to test.

Also, check out this photo, this where you want to aim for when poking:

[​IMG]

Additionally, there are two ways to poke, using the device that comes with the meter or doing it free hand. If you opt to do it free hand, you want to poke at an upward 45 degree angle - not straight into the ear: like this:

[​IMG]

Also make a warming sock:

Take one sock
    Add 1/4 cup of rice, oatmeal or dry beans
    Knot the top
    Put in microwave for 20-30 seconds until warm/hot
    Place behind cat's ear and hold for 30 seconds until ear is warm

I always kept it there when poking, so if I pierced the ear, I didn't poke my finger, just the sock.

And definitely home test - you need to know what the BG's are doing yourself so you become in control of the situation. Plus weekly testing at the vet is neither accurate or pleasant for the cat, plus it's costly to you.

Hope this helps.

9. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Hi Hillary & Maui
    Oh many thanks! That is great with the pictures and instructions. I live in San Diego. I agree; I want to be in control and know her glucose. Most cats seem to get so frightened as soon as they see their pet carrier.

10. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I started out with a Contour meter but switched to the Walmart Reli-On MICRO...
    Walmart has two meters, I think...the Ultima and the Micro that I know of...

I have the micro and LOVE it. It doesn't need a very large drop of blood at all and the test strips are readily available at Walmart and are quite reasonable. It costs $12 or $13 I think and while the Ultima is only $9, I went with the micro.
    One can go crazy doing comparisons on the different meters....it is a topic that many get involved with and they all go on and
    on about the subject. pick one that others recommend and just stick with that one. :D
    (the price and ease of getting more helped me with my decision....now I don't have to order online and wait by the mailbox for my new strips...I test like crazy and just go to Walmart for more...LOL)
    I have read many posts where people are "conserving" their test strips and put off doing a test they would have wanted to do just because of the price and availability of their test strips. "I only have two test strips left and I am waiting to get more" and such. :roll:
    I like to have plenty on hand at all times and the Reli-On allows me to do just that...

11. Ronnie & Luna

Thank u Pat for ur input!!! :RAHCAT

12. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Thank you Pat+Raja+Shadow for the suggestion of the Micro. I was also looking at it on the link. I can't thank all of you enough for the wonderful support, as I have just discovered this message board. I am on my way out for errands and then Walmart. Many thanks, and I will be back soon.

13. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I love my little meter.....
    I really really love it...
    I don't wear it around my neck like Ronnie does, but I have it always handy....
    Need to go to Walmart again...Mr Walmart loves me....need some MORE strips.... :roll:
    I need back up boxes.... LOL

14. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

hey there fellow so cal-er :D i'm up in xxxx county myself but we do have a couple people down your way. if you need some help let us know and we can try tracking them down for you. most of the so cal-ers are in the los angeles area but there's a few of us that are spread out a bit from there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.