glucose meters

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by redchief, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redchief

redchief New Member

I just came home from my vet. I asked my vet to teach me how to lance my cat for blood to test. She told me that she don't think the one step ultra 2 is right for cats. The strips have a code of 25. She did however teach me how to draw blood and her sugar was 434 on 7 units of humilin n. She took a fructosamine level blood test. Does anyone know what that is? She told me but I really didn't understand. She may change the insulin. Thanks for ur help everyone.

Robert And Missy

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Any Human blood glucose meter works. Do you mean you have the One Touch Ultra 2? That's a good meter but has a lot of bells and whistles you don't need for a cat. A basic meter is fine, like the One Touch Ultra Mini or the ReliOn .

7 units of any insulin is too much for most diabetic cats.

Was the 434 reading taken at the vet's office? You have to account for some vet stress in that number.

A fructosamine test tells you what the average blood glucose level has been over the past few weeks. Most people here don't bother with it, especially if they are hometesting daily.

Lantus is a great insulin for diabetic cats. Ask your vet about it.

3. redchief

redchief New Member

The doctor called me today to tell me missy's fructosamine level was over 900. She told me she is totally unregulated. She is changing her inusullin to Lantus. She would like to see her pre inusulin at 180 to 300. I'm just so confused. I asked her if she thought Missy life was in dager she told me no. She hopes to get her in remission. Any thought you might have would be greatly appreciated. By the way the dose is 1.5 units of lantus. One more question are there better syringes then the u100 it's so hard to do 1.5 units in them. Thanks again for your help.

Robert and Missy.....

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Robert are you currently feeding her wet canned food. We STRONGLY reccomend that as it alone will bring down some of those bg's, i will link you to our food chart. aim for the one's under 7% carbs.
    has she tested for ketones.
    I did'nt understand, are you testing her at home yet?
    7U's will be inappropriate once your on the correct food. as it is it sounds quite high.

5. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

It sounds like you have a good vet. Lantus is a good insulin and 1.5u is a reasonable starting dose. Some start even lower, but since you have been on a much larger dose of another insulin, the vet may have taken that into account. Too many vets prescribe inappropriate insulins at insane doses and give up on diabetic cats too easily.

For measuring 1.5u, you will have a better experience if you get u100 syringes with 1/2-unit markings. Also be sure you are getting small syringes (3/10cc) rather than larger ones. People may need the larger ones, for larger doses, but for cats, the small syringes are more appropriate.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hey rob, where in so. cal. are you? city? i am too and can if you need assistance with testing etc....

7. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Most Lantus newbies start at just 1 unit twice a day and slowly increase as needed. Some even start a more conservative dose of 0.5 units. Since you're not hometesting, it's better to start at a very low dose while you learn how to test. I suggest 1 unit twice a day but check in over on the Lantus group for more opnions.

You want U100 insulin syringes that are 3/10 cc (max 30 unit capacity) with half unit markings. This is what the half unit markings look like:

[​IMG]

There are a bunch of different brands you can buy. Here is a thread with members' preferred brands and where to buy: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12053
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... 22,1959486

Hocks.com is one popular online pharmacy to buy insulin syringes and test strips and other diabetic needs, if you live in the US. Click on the green ad that is at the top of the page and make a purchase. That way FDMB will get a commission :smile: AmericanDiabetesWholeSale.com is another place. Neither web site requires a prescription for insulin syringes.

Your local Human pharmacy may require one. Call and ask. Your vet can write the script for you. Some pharmacists have no idea what half unit marked insulin syringes are and may insist that you really want 1/2 cc (max 50 unit capacity) insulin sringes or ones with 1/2 inch long needles :roll: If you prefer to buy from the local pharmacy, it's a good idea to print out an online product description for the half unit marked insulin syringes you want and show it to the pharmacist so he/she doesn't think you're crazy. I think all the ReliOn 3/10 cc insulin syringes have half unit markings. ReliOn is Wal Mart only brand and isn't expensive to buy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.