? Glucose Testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by GinnyBarr, Apr 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

I've never done it. She was just diagnosed this week. Is there a link to a video that can show me how to do it? I've heard the ear.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

This is a pretty good video, but once you're on YouTube, there are usually several others over on the right side to look at

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Here's something I wrote up for others that needed help with testing...maybe it'll help you too! (substitute "her" for "him"...LOL)

It can be really helpful to establish a routine with testing. Pick one spot that you want your "testing spot" to be (I like the kitchen counter because it's got good light and it's at a good height....it also already blocked 2 escape routes due to the wall and the backsplash) It can be anywhere though...a rug on the floor, a table, a particular spot on the couch...wherever is good for you. Take him there as many times a day as you can and just give his ears a quick rub and then he gets a yummy (low carb) treat. Most cats aren't objecting so much with the poking..it's the fooling with their ears they don't like, but once they're desensitized to it and learn to associate a certain place with the treats, they usually start to come when they're called! Or even when they hear us opening the test kit!

You also have to remember...you're not poking him to hurt him...you're testing him to keep him safe and understand what's going on inside his body. There's just nothing better than truly understanding what's going on inside your kitty's body and with this disease, the more knowledge you have, the more power you have against it. The edges of the ears have very few pain receptors, so it really doesn't hurt them. Also, if you're nervous and tense, it's going to make your kitty nervous and tense too. As silly as it might seem, try singing! It forces you to use a different part of your brain!

It's also important to make sure his ear is warm. A small sock filled with a little rice and microwaved or a small pill bottle filled with warm water (check temp against your wrist like you would a baby bottle) works well.

When you're first starting, it's also important to use a lower gauge lancet, like 25-28 gauge. Most of the "lancet devices" come with 33 gauge lancets and they are just too tiny to start with. The bigger lancets (that are lower numbers) make a bigger "hole". As you poke more and more, the ears will grow new capillaries and will be easier and easier to get blood from...we call it "learning to bleed"

Finding the right "treat" will be a great help too! Freeze dried chicken, bonito flakes, little pieces of baked chicken...whatever low carb treat you can find that he really enjoys will help him to associate the testing with the treat! China's Achilles heel was baked chicken, so I'd bake a piece, chop it into bite sized pieces, put some in the refrigerator and freeze the rest to use as needed. It didn't take long for her to come any time I picked up the meter!

Sharon14 likes this.
  4. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Thank you so much.

5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

6. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

JanetNJ likes this.
  7. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

You'll get the hang of it soon. We felt completely alone and freaked at the start; that was two cats and five years ago. My mistake was and still is not keeping my wife completely in the "poke and dose" loop so if I end up in emergency even for a broken ankle she'll have to take Noah to the vet. I think that's a man mistake.

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It's scary at first. By next week it will be no biggie. :)

Djamila likes this.
  9. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

I'm teaching my bf now. He's learning insulin and the meter. I'm just learning too, so it's very scary.

10. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

I hope so. I just keep wishing for a month to go by. I'm fine once something is routine. I'm so worried. Ugh. Ty. :)

11. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Will be a routine in no time ;)

GinnyBarr likes this.
  12. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Praying. Ty.

13. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The cat barely feels it. Be more worried about NOT testing. :)

GinnyBarr and Yong & Maury GA like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.