? Glucose toxicity question!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Panic, Nov 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Doing more research...I'm getting a little stumped concerning glucose toxicity. From what I've gathered, you typically have to increase a dose to break out of glucose toxicity, then decrease to get back where you need to be. My question though is, what if the cat is experiencing glucose toxicity due to being overdosed, thus causing bouncing? Raising the dose would make it worse then, I would assume?

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The glucose toxicity isn't the result of the dose. It's the result of holding a dose that's not getting numbers down for too long making it harder to get the numbers to come down because your cat's body is regarding the high BG levels as normal. If the numbers are high regardless of the cause, you need to give more insulin to get past the obstacle. Raising the dose breaks the resistance. Lowering the dose doesn't work. It's not unlike insulin resistance where the problem is auto-antibodies. You have to increase the dose to get past the antibodies.

Bouncing is a separate issue. It's normal. It's a matter of the liver and pancreas overreacting.

3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

So high numbers due to bouncing won't develop into glucose toxicity? I guess that's the part I'm wondering about!

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It shouldn’t. You just don’t want to leave your kitty sitting in a dose that’s not working.

Panic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.