Goal is remission

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Megaboo, Nov 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Megaboo

Megaboo Member

Hi everyone. My cat Kali, was diagnosed at the end of September with diabetes. it has been very frustrating, overwhelming and expensive. I feel like I am walking through the dark on this but glad I have found sites like this to help so thanks to anyone who reads this.
    I want to get him in remission and have changed his diet to Fancy Feast Classic pates.
    I set up a spreadsheet as recommended (Not sure if I did it right).
    His numbers have been all over the place and my vet said to increase his dose. I only increased by half rather than a whole unit because I'm afraid to give him too much.
    feel free to check out my spreadsheet. Thank You!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and Kali. I'm sure you are going to find much of the information you need here, if not all. I realize that it's overwhelming at first, but it does become easier as you learn and become more educated about diabetes treatment. I second FurBabiesMama with getting the signature done. You can learn about your specific insulin on the insulin support forum and get advice from the experienced users of that insulin.
    It's terrific that you have already set up the spreadsheet and changed Kali's diet. Be aware, though that changing to a lower carb diet is going to lower the blood sugar levels, so keep an eye on that when you test, both pre-shot numbers and mid-cycle (when the BG goes lower) numbers whenever you can. I don't know what insulin you are using so I can't refer you to the right support forum. Check the correct insulin forum, and introduce yourself when you have that signature in place, so they can have all the pertinent info at hand. Best wishes for remission!

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome.
    Good job getting the SS up and running.
    What would help us a lot to help you is if you could get some in between tests to show us how low the insulin is taking your kitty. If you could test at +4 or +6 ( do different times on different days) and for the PM cycle if you could get a before bed test to make sure kitty is safe for the night.
    Please let us know what insulin you are using.
    Bron

5. Megaboo

Megaboo Member

Thanks guys! I have updated my profile to include that information. :) I am using this weekend to test more often (curve). I know feeding him will alter the numbers. What is the best way to do this? does food just temporarily alter his BG? Thanks,

6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Meaghann, Hi again. You did update your profile and that's great. However, you might also create the signature that displays with each of your posts. It enables members to see Kali's info right away w/o having to bring up the whole profile.
    I kind of condensed the info in your profile so that you could use it as a template for your signature, edit at will, but know that there is a space/line limitation: Mom:Meaghann Kali, 4.5 y.o.Male ,Dx 9/18, Vetsulin 1.5U 2Xday, AlphaTrak meter. FF classics food. No other health issues. Utah. You can update the signature at any time if something changes.
    Just click on your username, Megaboo at the top right corner of this page, then click on Signature in the menu that comes up. Super easy!
    Post on Main health forum HERE with your question about doing the curve this weekend. This forum is not used to dispense advice and more eyes will see your ?? and you will get responses there. :cat:

7. Megaboo

Megaboo Member

Great, thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.