GOBBLES GI UPDATE - At a loss...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TheBowHuntress, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

Gobbles is sick--something GI....not sure...could be a repeat of whatever mystery illness he had back in April when he had the GI problems for over a month.

His lump from last month disappeared: flattened out and healed nicely, although I found another small one; same as the original one (about size of a small pea, a little pink but doesn't seem to bother him.

Diarrhea started Tuesday--5x a day, though a small amount, which was liquidy--sometimes a little drops out like he can just make it to the LB in time. I changed his food to just one brand/meat a day (until today when I am pulling my hair out between him vomiting and picking at food).

I discontinued his ReNew on Thursday. I bought metamucil last night and had to force it on him with a feeding syringe (mixed in water)...he ending up puking it up, along with the little bit of food he ate.

His scruff springs back when I checked him. He is peeing and preening, and today only diarrhea'd twice so far; the second time being slightly formed. He asks to go outside, so I take him out for 10 minutes at best, but do not let him eat grass. His mood seems the same. He is semi-social and not very playful, but that's normal for him. I got the kissy/purry/toilet paper this morning; same as usual.

I called the vet today but told them I cannot afford to bring him in and get tests done, and besides when I went that route this past April, after over $600 worth of tests, they still couldn't pin point what was causing it (that was when he had diarrhea and little appetite for over a month). I've tried different foods these past days. I tried cooked chicken on Wednesday. He cannot tolerate red meat.

The vet sold me 10 flagyl (metronidazole 62.5 mg, 2x day)pills today (I didn't take Gobbles in to see him) and I stopped at the pet store and bought some foods that have a lower fat count although at this point, I am ignoring the carb count--he has got to eat. I doubt he ate the equivalent of a can of FF yesterday and today, less. He only sold me 10 pills.

Shouldn't the flagyl be taken for more than 5 days? I assume he only sold me 10 so I'd have to go back there if the GI issues didn't stop.

So I gave him a flagyl pill this afternoon and half of a small can of Royal Canine digest sensitive. He puked that up. So I waited a little while and gave him another flagyl pill and some Tiki chicken; he licked the juice but did not eat the chicken. He seems to have held that down (I looked all over the house for vomit and didn't find any, thank God) and am going to take a closer look in the house just as soon as I post this. He only had diarrhea 2x so far today and the second one was somewhat, barely, formed.

I don't know what else to do. I don't know if I should start up the ReNew again (that is, if he eats) I am going to try some FF sliced turkey in gravy. I think. I am at my wit's end and we are VERY stretched with our income this month and I cannot run up a credit card.

I do have CYPRO on hand, but have not given him that (for appetite).

I am crushed and this is tearing my heart out.

Any suggestions appreciated...

Please keep us in your prayers.

2. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Re: Gobbles sick -- diarrhea, vomiting :(

I wish I had ideas, Kat...just sending prayers your way, and I'm sure someone will come along with some suggestions and thoughts.....

3. Re: Gobbles sick -- diarrhea, vomiting :(

Gobs....not cool, dude. Your Mom doesn't need this.

Kat, is Gobbles the only one with issues? Nobody else is projectile at both ends?
    There's no sign of blood in the pukus or liqui-poo, right?
    Will he eat meat baby food? The poultry flavors might be gentle and bland enough to keep down.

4. Barb & Mr. Frog

Barb & Mr. Frog Member

I'm curious why you don't just let him eat the grass? When my cats have tummy upsets, that's always the first thing they want, and they usually seem to feel so much better after they puke it back out.

5. TheBowHuntress

Hi Barb--The reason I don't want him to eat grass is because (1) he has terrible diarrhea and I think that the grass will make it worse and (2) he does not need to vomit anymore--with 5 days worth of diarrhea, very little appetite and the recent vomiting--the last thing I want to do is give him something that may potentially make him vomit more. He needs to keep his food down and stay hydrated. Vomit + Diarrhea + Little Appetite = dehydration...

6. TheBowHuntress

Nope. He's the only one. Pulling his "high maintenance act" as usual. Nope--no blood. He may eat baby food but I can't get to town until tomorrow. Basically, he is only licking any juice/gravy off of food. He would most likely eat chipped-chop-ham that I do have on hand, but not sure if I should offer it...???

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

You can give metronidazole forever at about 62.5 mg (1/4 of a 250 mg tab) twice daily forever (if it works). My Lightning was on it one a day for aver a year until this spring when I increased it to twice daily.

8. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Did you use flagyl last time he had this, Kat?
    I'm just saying because J.D. had a diarrhea problem not too long ago, and 2 or 3 doses of flagyl fixed him right up.

Jupiter, I hope you feel a lot better tomorrow if not tonight.

9. TheBowHuntress

Yes, but it didn't really work. Nothing worked. I hope the planets line up and cure his fuzzy belly asap!!!

10. TheBowHuntress

Any thoughts on offering him some chipped-chop-ham? It isn't smoked.

11. milfordcollector

milfordcollector Member

dancing_cat cat_pet_icon Dear Sir Gobbles! Please eat for your Mama bean & try to keep the food down! I'm gaining weight & my yellow dresses are getting too tight! let's meet at the falls tonight! Its been such a long time. Hugs, scritches & head bumps. Princess Sabrina .

12. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Tiggy started his up again too in the last couple of weeks. we have tried to narrow it down to the food but DH is pretty convinced that its the fact we stopped the Renew. He reckons the effect of the renew carries over for a while but then something tips him over the edge to trigger it. So we are putting him back on the renew. if/when he gets better we will stop the renew again and see if it comes back after that... might be something he has to be on indefinately. Maybe Gobbles is the same..

13. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Kat, I'm sorry Gobbles is sick again. Have you tried mixing pumpkin into his food? When Furball has loose stools, the pumpkin helped her. Of course some cats won't eat it.

Sending prayers to you and Gobbles.

14. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Also I know Sienne had her guys on Flagyl for a month before the diarrhea cleared . The first time Tiggy had diarrhea he was on it 2 weeks. The vet prescribed a week at first but then extended it when it showed it was working a bit but not totally clear. Second time we had diarrhea the flagyl did nothing. This is third time.

15. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

Houdini had something similar and Flagyl worked great. The only thing he would eat was chicken baby food. Can you maybe make your own in a blender?

16. Re: Gobbles sick -- diarrhea, vomiting :(

Kat,
    I think the ham would be okay? Is it sugar cured? I'd get him to eat even if ham isn't the greatest thing in the world. I think I read on Dr. P's site or here that she said when it comes to "snacks", she doesn't worry about carbs. One of her kitties was a big fan of licorice, and since that is what he liked, that's what she gave him at treat time. If he can eat and keep down a little bit of ham, I think I'd go with it.

17. TheBowHuntress

My blender is the biggest POS in the universe, so I can't make chicken baby food...darn! I've been meaning to buy a new one for a long time.

I offered and he ate a small amount of chipped chop ham; just a bit. I don't want to give him too much because he hasn't ate squat today.

18. TheBowHuntress

Thanks Princess Sabrina! I tricked Mom -- she gave in and gave me a tad of lunchmeat. I hope I don't get sick again. Mom said it's bad enough that I have the squirts and that I need to keep some food in my belly!!! So you gained a few ounces, eh? I think you needed to anyways. Just saying. Okay--let's meet at, say, midnight? Paws crossed I can sneak out--my Mom has been watching me like a hawk...following me to the LB...and on Puke Patrol!!!

19. TheBowHuntress

I think I should restart the ReNew--the only reason I stopped it the other day was because I thought I was overdoing it and thus, butt splatter. I took him off the ReNew AFTER he had diarrhea for a few days...Obviously, the ReNew isn't causing the GI issues for Gobbles...I did myself a favor last week and broke down and ordered a bottle of 30, instead of 14. I hope Tiggy feels better soon.

20. TheBowHuntress

Thank you, Larry. Pretty gentle stuff then! I'll see where he's at the day before the flagyl runs out and if still having GI issues, will ask the vet for more...he puked one of them, so (if he doesn't puke any more up) he only has enough for 4.5 days...

21. Barb & Mr. Frog

Barb & Mr. Frog Member

It seems like you've tried or are trying everything else, I personally would 'try' the grass... worst case scenario is he isn't any better... and yea, I see your point about not wanting him to vomit, but maybe he 'needs' that one vomit with the grass to make his belly feel better and allow him to eat.... Any chance of a furball? That's a big one with the grass grazing for my babies, when they can't get it out by themselves, they use the grass to bring it up... works every time. (I know, probably not, but ..just thought I'd mention it)

22. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't think that I would give ham at this point. It could be too much - treat him like you would a baby and bland, gentle foods - even buy baby food and try giving him that.

Beechnut stage 2 is a good option - just meat and broth - comes in many flavors, chicken, turkey, lamb, beef

I'm sorry to hear he isn't feeling well. guess he isn't up for a CATapult ride, cause Maui says today is CATapult day!

23. tomtom13

tomtom13 Member

OH NO.....I am so sorry your sweet Gobbles is sick! I can tell you are beyond worried....

I don't have any advice....just wanted to let you know we are all thinking of you and wishing a speedy recovery for your G!

He got better and healthy last time this happened....he will do the same this time....

~kelly

24. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

kat, sorry to hear gobbles is having problems. just a few thoughts off the top of my head:

going on the symptoms you've described...

could he possibly be constipated? this is gross, but sometimes a constipated kitty will have diarrhea that is able to seep around and by a compacted stool in the bowel. this could also cause vomiting (no where for the food to go).

you mentioned ReNew... are you talking about the probiotic ReNew? the only reason i'm asking is 2 of my 4 cats will become constipated from probiotics if i give them when they really don't need them.

you might want to consider having an abdominal x-ray done...

25. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

Hi Kat, to share with you the story of my Tiger, 14 yrs old male. Tiger always have upset stomach whenever he's not well. Last couple of mths, he had bad diarrhea lasted for wks. Vet found nothing "wrong", prescribed antibiotics & med. he was better when taking the med & gone back to watery poo afterwards. He did not vomit. I tried giving steamed pumpkin which didn't help. Then I tried giving him smashed steamed rice & his diarrhea stopped. Normal stool for a month already
    The way is steaming white rice till its cooked. Smash one soup spoon it into paste like, add in water bit by bit as you smash, grind. Mix this soup spoon of rice paste with canned food. Tiger will not eat this on his own, I have to force it into his mouth. This mix cannot be too watery as it will be difficult to feed. I fed him this rice paste three times every day.

26. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Have you tried 1/4 Pepcid to see if it helps him eat?

And some of the ideas for constipation may help with diarrhea , too. Check out the Feline Constipation site for ideas.

I've heard plain aloe juice may be soothing, though I have no experience with it.

27. terriy

terriy Member

Sending purrs and prayers. Hope that Gobbles gets well soon!!

28. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

Kat

From what you have described, could be a pancreatitis attack. They can test for it at the vet. I would not let it go on for very long before you take him in.

Terri

29. TheBowHuntress

Thank you, everyone, for your ideas and thoughts. You've all given me great ideas, but here's where I'm at:

He will not eat pumpkin in any way, shape or form.

He pukes up the metamucil (probably because the only way I can get it into him is a feeding syringe).

He is snubbing most of the food I've bought him or eating very, very little.

He is on Day 2 of the Flagyl.

I have not tried Pepcid AC yet.

His liquid poo was yellow, but this morning it was dark (maybe from the flagyl, ham or Royal Canin?)

He is not meatloafing, was laying on my husband's lap last night, went outside (harnessed) and wanted his belly rubbed--therefore, I do not suspect pancreatitis.

I cannot afford to get an x-ray at this time. Period.

He ate a little bit of ham at dinner last night (not smoked); at least I got him to eat something.

He ate a little bit of Friskies Plus this morning, again, at least I got him to eat something which has to be better than ham plus I mixed water in with it to help hydrate him and get the flagyl working.

So where do I go from here? If I try the myraid of foods recommended, I think that may make things work.

If I give him some miralax, it can potentially make his diarrhea worse.

i have cypro on hand, for appetite, if needed, but have not given him any.

It has been suggested to feed him chicken, rice, baby food, grass, miralax, renew; at this point in time, I will let him eat anything because he really needs to eat and it just ain't happening, but I am still on the fence about the grass. If I do try the grass, I'd wait a good 4 hours after his flagyl is given to him.

I don't know what try do/feed him today; my thinking is to borrow a blender from a neighbor and maybe blend together chicken and rice, with a little broth (will check label for onions)???He MAY eat some of the Friskies, but I know it isn't good for him.

Should I restart the ReNew? He hasn't had it now for 4 days.

If he were your cat, keeping in mind NO $$ for vet, what might you do? Again, I REALLY appreciate opinions and advice

30. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

A simple test of stool impaction or whether it is too hard while still inside the colon is to take your hand and place it across the spine of the cat between the tail and ribcage. Press gently with your thumb and fingers on each side of the spine. You should not be able to feel anything hard in the colon. A normal colon will be relatively soft and the contents should not be much larger than 3/4 of an inch in diameter

could very well be constipated. do the above to make sure

31. carfurby (GA)

Kat, I'm sorry Gobbles is not any better. I did a Google search and saw that some vets recommend a 12 to 24 hour fast to help reset the digestive system. They say to give lots of water during the fast. I don't know if this is something you want to consider for Gobbles, but I thought I should mention it.

I also saw that Slippery Elm helps with diarrhea. They recommended one capsule twice a day, but didn't say what size the capsule was.

This is from Tanya's Kidney Disease site and gives good dosage information: http://www.felinecrf.org/holistic_treatments.htm#SEB_what_is_it

Also, baby food was recommended to get him to eat.

32. TheBowHuntress

Hi Dian--I tried checking him for constipation; a little difficult to find his ribs as I'm sure you know what I mean since you've met him...

If I did the exam correctly (tried 3x) his colon area is firm. I had to feel through his belly "roll" meaning where his plump fat layer hangs underneath him. He was actually enjoying me rubbing it, nudging the corner of the door (rubbing face on it), so I did that for a short while.

I already gave him the flagyl an hour ago but am thinking maybe I should give him a dose of miralax?

He is acting hungry again--sitting near his cupboard where food is kept.

I'm not 100% on the constipation, but am willing to try miralax--I can probably sneak it into his food...

Any suggestions, anyone? What if I am wrong and the miralax makes his diarrhea worse? If miralax, how much???

33. dian and wheezer

1/8-1/4 tsp BID

34. TheBowHuntress

I just read about giving vaseline (1/3 to 1/2 teaspoon) if constipated. I might try that, however, what if it is NOT constipation? Would it make the diarrhea worse or harm him in any other way??

35. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

It could slightly aggravate the diarrhea. Test small doses.

Psyllium fiber, 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon - aids in both constipation and diarrhea by absorbing and holding water. For constipation, it may help soften new stool: for diarrhea, it soaks up excess liquid to give it some form. Again, test small doses and provide ample liquid for hydration, maybe plain broth or tuna water.

If he seems hungry, try small amounts of food - 1-2 teaspoons at a time - and give it some time to settle. Think about how you'd manage a GI upset for a kid - slowly and carefully.

36. Hillary & Maui (GA)

I have used this on Maui - if you decide to try this - you buy it in capsule form - make sure it only contains slippery elm bark nothing else. You open the capsule and take the amount that is in the smaller part of the capsule out and mix with a little water. Then you syringe it into cat or mix with food if he will eat it that way.

You can do this once or twice a day for up to 3 days. If no improvement, stop using it.

Too much slippery elm and you can cause constipation. It's a homeopathic remedy.

If this were Maui, I would use the baby food and canned food with water added. I might even give some baked or boiled chicken if she will eat it. I would consider trying raw food, but may wait until I see improvement, as I wouldn't want any bacteria from the raw causing further problems.

I would also syringe water so she doesn't get dehydrated.

I wouldn't rush to give grass. Especially if you are picking it from outside. You don't know what fertilizers may be on it or dog poop, etc. If you are going to give grass, then go to pet store and buy pet grass - either from seeds or already growing. At least you can be sure that it is clean, then I would limit the amount of grass given.

What I understand about vaseline it's more for hairballs. I don't know it I would give petroleum jelly to Maui in this condition.

Just my thoughts...

37. TheBowHuntress

do you mean 1-2 teaspoons of psyllium fiber?

38. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

My vet always suggests 24 hour fast for diarrhea. It sometimes helps. I think it depends on the cause of the GI problems. Another thing to consider is a food allergy. When Gobbles was sick the last time did your vet mention that as a possibility?

39. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

No, I mean food - edited previous post to clarify.

If you do fast him, check for ketones.

40. Doreen and PeePee

Doreen and PeePee Member

Hi Kat, just wanted to say we're thinking of you and Goobles. I hope he feels better soon. One of my civies wouldn't eat and had diarrhea. Turns out he's was really constipated. They had to do an enema on him. I just don't know what to advise for Gobbles.

(((HUGS))))

41. TheBowHuntress

I made some. He snubbed it; but his drooler, Jessie, was thrilled!!! Nothing goes to waste here :mrgreen:

42. TheBowHuntress

No go on the baby food. I tried a few. Tell Maui: paws crossed, he'll squeeze into his speedo very soon...

43. TheBowHuntress

Thanks Carla; he won't touch it...

44. TheBowHuntress

Thanks Jill. He possibly COULD be constipated; I palpitated his colon and it feels firm, but I can't say for sure as I have never "examined" his colon (might be something I can ask a vet tech friend). I understand what you mean. He hasn't vomited today and is eating some. I administered 1/3 tsp. metamucil at 10:30 mixed into about 1.5 tablespoons of medium carb FF (+ water added into the food), all of which he ate. He also had about 2 tablespoons of chicken broth. Just now, he ate about 1 T. of food with water mixed into it. Yes, ReNew (Ultimate Flora Critical Care 50 Billion). I am debating giving this to him at his next feeding. Perhaps the flagyl is working; he hasn't vomited and his appetite is better today. I only found diarrhea in his LB once, although it was dark colored (could be from flagyl? or perhaps chip-chop-ham he ate yesterday).

45. TheBowHuntress

Thank you! I tried rice by itself, rice with broth and rice blended (in blender) with chicken and broth. He snubbed all.

46. TheBowHuntress

If I fast him, I will have to force water on him. He is now eating a little watered-down Friskies and drank some broth. The vet did mention food allergy last time; I did a process of elimination with regard to his food (began on Tuesday) and I don't believe any are a food allergy.

47. TheBowHuntress

GOBBLES UPDATE:

He is eating a little more than yesterday; watered down Friskies wet food, although not nearly enough. He is drinking chicken broth (no onions). He had his third 62.5 mg dose of Flagyl this morning and 1/3 tsp of Metamucil mixed into his food. So far, he has not vomited and only diarrhea'd once (dark) early this morning. Up until me giving him Flagyl, Royal Canin "digestive sensitive"--he merely just licked the gravy off of it--and a few bits of lunchmeat, his liquid poo had been yellow.

Weird that he wants me to rub his belly....so I am doing so and he is bearing his belly for me to do it more!

ETA: he basically inhaled Tiki (chicken flavor) and it's juice--about 4 Tbs. total. Then about 10 minutes later, he took a large, liquid yellow poo.

I noticed that he has been licking his butt a bit (gross but true); on examination I noticed it is sore looking. His anal glands do not look clogged. I cleaned his butt, ever so gently, with an alcohol-free baby wipe that I warmed up first. When I washed him, his anal glands excreted dark fluid though do not seem clogged (I expressed them and got very little fluid which was not stinky; basically odor-free). I then applied a little Vaseline to his butt. I can tell that his butt is irritated and a little sore; I read that diarrhea can do that.

48. dian and wheezer

Re: GOBBLES GI UPDATE - see my last reply...

glad he seems to be feeling a little better

49. Hillary & Maui (GA)

You may want to take warm water compresses to his butt as well. This will help with any build up, plus it's only water so won't hurt him. Then you can put some vaseline on after.

Keep offering the baby food even if you need to spoon or syringe feed it. You want him to eat and that is soft enough and simple enough to digest easily.

50. dian and wheezer

since we are playing with the butt hole, how about a few of those stamped autographs I was talking about at reunion

51. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

Hi Kat,
    I'm sorry Gobbles isn't feeling so well, but glad to know he's better today.
    Lucy goes anorexic quote often on me, and she has had quite a few vomiting/diarrhea episodes in the past.
    (In fact I'm dealing with one of those episodes right now. :smile: )
    I don't bring her to the vet every time she has one of those episodes or it will be too stressful for her and my bank account.
    I don't think I have enough knowledge to give advice, but I'd like to share with you how I deal with it the best I can.
    Sometimes, Lucy vomits and has diarrhea and seems obviously unwell, and other times she seems perfectly normal except loose poopy.

If Lucy is nauseated, I try to deal with it first.
    Vomiting irritates the lining of stomach, and causes more vomits, so vomiting must be stopped.
    If she is not eating because of nausea, I do not give Cypro until nausea is taken care of.
    I've been bringing Lucy to the vet for a shot of Cerenia, but I got a box of Cerenia in tablets last time I went to the vet to keep at hand, so yesterday she had one, and it worked.
    If Lucy vomits on empty stomach, and the puke is yellowish or formy, I give Pepcid.
    Yesterday, I went for Cerenia because she vomited pukey smelling bownish liquid with a bit of earlier food in it.

If Lucy is not nauseated, but just not eating, I give her Cypro.
    If she really doesn't want to eat, I'd let her skip one meal, but after that I always do Cypro.
    Even when she turned her nose to everything I had offered, 30 minutes after Cypro, she'd be asking "where's my food?".
    It's so much easier for both of us if she eats voluntarily than force-feeding, which is super stressful for both of us.

For diarrhea, if she has continuing diarrhea, first, I would not bring Lucy to the vet, but I'd bring her poop.
    I don't ask for a stool culture at this point, but ask them to analyse it under a microscope (cheaper & faster) while I sit and wait there for their findings.
    If they find a lot of bad bacteria, I get metronidazole.
    If they find not much bad bacteria but no good bacteria either, I think probiotic.
    Lucy has been on metronidazole a few times. Sometimes, they prescribe pills for 5 days, other times 7 days or 10 days.
    And sometimes, it worked after just one or two pills, and diarrhea didn't come back.
    Other times, diarrhea stopped while on metronidazole, but came back right after the course of treatment.
    This time, it took about 8 pills before she started producing solid poop, and she just had her last pill this morning (7 days treatment this time), and I guess I'll see if the diarrhea wants to come back or not in the next day or two (paws crossed).
    Since Lucy has finished 7 days of metronidazole, I'm thinking about putting her on probiotic, but I think I'm going to try Pearls - which I think is less powerful.

I did try slipperly elm barks, but it didn't work for Lucy.
    I thought Lucy's poop got looser, so I stopped, but it's supposed to be safe to give.
    I am fully willing to try this again another time. I think I may have given her too much for her. I did 1/8 teaspoon of loose power, but I kind of packed it pushing the powder against spoon. :lol:

I believe multiple diarrhea would irritate anus. Poor Gobbles.
    I hope he'll be better.
    I hope metronidazole will kick in soon.
    Maybe he may need a stool culture done to determine what med. would work.....
    I will check back on him, and write more if I think of something else.
    In the meantime, sending tons of vines and prayers to his way.

52. Barb & Mr. Frog

Barb & Mr. Frog Member

I'm glad you got him eating something at least. I think abdominal massage is usually one of my first solutions when my kitty's are having that sort of troubles, but of course, I let them dictate the situation, so if it is at all uncomfortable they let me know and I stop. Glad you are able to do the same for your baby.

/hugs right there with ya on the no money for the vet problem, wish it weren't so, but we do what we have to do.

Hope you both get feeling much better soon!

53. Re: GOBBLES GI UPDATE - see my last reply...

:lol: that must have been an interesting conversation! :lol:

54. dian and wheezer

well, carl. you know me. gotta find something that is interesting and funny to talk about.
    and in color too

55. Re: GOBBLES GI UPDATE - see my last reply...

Dian,
    I read what you posted while I was at home taking a break and feeding Bob....I swear I chuckled for at least an hour afterwards. :lol: Anybody who saw me must have thought I'd lost it.

56. dian and wheezer

well, you are just gonna have to make the next reunion so you can participate in out arts and crafts session

57. TheBowHuntress

What kind of drug and what is Cerenia for?

Same here--extreme stress for Gobbles as well as my bank account--this month, there is so little room for any vet visits/tests--way less than the cost of any GI test :cry:

I don't know how to determine if Gobbles has nausea...I THINK he may be, because he sniffed his food and had only a few licks of it.

Other than bad bacteria, what else might show up under a microscope? What do you get charged for that?

I have ReNew and Pearls on hand.

Gobbles is on Day 3 of the metronidazole. I hope Mariko firms up!

So you don't give the metronidazole AND the probiotic at the same time?

That test was done in April, was more than $100 (I'd have to check my records--I think it was around $170), they found nothing.

Wow, thanks Mariko--for such a long and helpful post! You are so sweet. His appetite this morning was null; he ate a few licks of food then went back to bed. He had a large yellow, liquid poo at 8 am; which was 16 hours from his last poo. He had been going 5x a day, up until yesterday,where he went only 2x.

I am at a loss as to what to offer him for his next meal AND if I should administer the Cypro (1/4 of the pill, correct?) I am thinking if I give him Cypro, I could probably get him to eat some LC. Maybe. He was loving the Tiki chicken yesterday, but snubbed it this morning...

58. Hillary & Maui (GA)

It's an anti-nausea drug - vomiting, motion sickness etc. May also help stimulate appetite

Look to see if he will approach food/water and look like he wants to eat but won't. Does he lick his lips alot, especially when near the food. Does he lay in "meatloafing" position - with all four paws tucked under his body.

These are typical signs of nausea - especially the lip licking.

Think about when you feel nauseous, what do you do - curl up in a ball, when you feel it building up, you drool and lick your lips, it's similar with cats.

They can see if any parasites are in there as well. You would need to call your vet and ask what they charge.

sorry I can't help with your other questions.

59. Re: GOBBLES GI UPDATE - see my last reply...

I agree with Hilary - licking lips is a good indicator of nausea. And meat loafing is a good signal that a kitty just generally feels like crap.

"Yellow poo"...that means something....
    "Indicates rapid transit". Things are going from the "in door" to the "out door" too quickly. Both yellow and runny are indicators of that.
    The unknown is "why". This is all from an older book, Kat. "Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook".
    "Transit time in the intestinal tract can be speeded up by a variety of irritating substances, including:
    Dead animals, rodents, and birds
    Garbage and decayed food
    Rich foods, gravies, salts, spices, and fats
    Sticks, cloth, grass, paper and plastic"

Is there any way Gobbles could have gotten into any of those?

What about odor? Is he chasing himself out of the LB to get away from it?

60. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

Hi Kat,
    I'm so sorry Gobbles is still not feeling well.
    I see you got some answers, but I'll add mine as well.

Like Hillary replied to you, Cerenia is an anti-nausea drug.
    It's for dogs and is off-label for cats, but my vet uses for cats all the time, and it has worked well on Lucy.
    I know other people on this board use Cerenia for cats too, so it's good for cats too.
    It comes in injectable form and tablets form.
    I suppose injection would work faster, but the down side is that you'd have to bring the cat.
    When I got one for Lucy in the past, it cost $34.
    The tablet also worked for Lucy, and I bought a box of 4x16mg pills, and it was about $19.
    For cat, the dose is 1mg/kg body weight, so for most cats I think it's about 1/4 to 1/2 pill.
    I didn't know this cat dose when I gave it to her the other day, and I gave her a whole pill :eek: , but nothing bad happened.
    I was so worried about the overdose but both Sienne and my vet said it should be OK, and it was.

I have trouble determining if she has nausea or not sometimes.
    Sometimes, they don't give a clear sign......
    When the nausea is severe, Lucy swallows saliva a lot, and that's an obvious sign as well as lip-licking.
    And like Hillary mentioned, showing interests in food, but not eating it is also a sign.
    If Gobbles is sniffing his food and taking a few licks but not eating, I would think he's nauseated.

Again like Hillary mentioned, they will see the type of bacteria and parasites.
    I never worry about parasites for Lucy because she doesn't eat raw food and she doesn't go out side, but I guess they would see them if parasites are present.
    The fecal cytology at my vet cost $42, but it might be cheaper as my vet is on the expensive side.
    I'd like to point out, though, fecal cytology by bringing in a sample may not be awfully accurate because the sample is not as fresh as the one collected at the vet, and some bacteria may not have survived.
    Fecal culture is more accurate, but it's more expensive too.
    Even though it may not tell everything, I still do fecal cytology (fecal smear) quite often because it's cheap and fast and stress-free for Lucy.
    And they can at least tell me if there is a over-growth of bad bacteria.
    Sometimes, they found not bad bacteria but no good bacteria either, and it saved me from putting Lucy on antibiotic unnecessarily.
    If you are going to try this, naturally a sample as fresh as possible is better.
    I'd collect the part of poo that does not have a lot of litter stuck to it, and call the vet "I'm bringing the sample!!".
    Sometimes she poops overnight, and if I don't think I can get a fresher sample, I'd keep it in the fridge (gross, I know), and they can still see stuff.

Lots of more experienced people recommend giving antibiotic (metronidazole) and probiotic at the same time, so I think it's a good thing to do.
    But, I didn't this time, because I wanted to see what would make a difference for her diarrhea, and wanted to try one think at a time.
    The other reason I didn't give probiotic at the same time is that I was afraid it may cause her even more diarrhea.
    I know it's unlikely, but I have a friend who ate Activia and suffered diarrhea afterwards :lol: .
    When your tummy isn't used to probiotic, I think it could cause diarrhea in the beginning.
    Lucy has a super sensitive tummy, so I decided to stay away from probiotic while she is pooping diarrhea, otherwise I wouldn't know what's causing it.
    I already know that Lucy has problem sustaining good bacteria in her tummy, and if I give her billions of good bacteria suddenly when her tummy is already upset, I thought it might make it worse.
    I am even going to wait to see what her next poop is like before I start giving her a Pearl.
    Because if I give her probiotic now and her next poop is loose, then I wouldn't know if it's because metronidazole is wearing out or the initial side effect of probiotic.
    But this is just a precaution I took, something I'm trying, and usually antibiotic together with probiotic should be a good idea and a lot of people recommend it.

Yes, the dose of Cypro is 1/4 pill, but do not give him Cypro is he is nauseated.
    This is something Sienne once pointed out to me - Can you imagine given an appetite stimulant when you are nauseated!?
    If you take care of the nausea, he may be more willing to eat.

Another thing I really would consider is sub-q fluids, Kat.
    If he is having so many diarrhea and not eating much, he is losing a lot of fluids and not gaining much.
    Even if he is drinking, considering the amount of diarrhea, it may not be enough, even if his skin springs back.
    Whenever Lucy vomits or have diarrhea, either one more than twice, I always give her extra sub-q fluids (she's already on twice-weekly fluids therapy for her CKD), and it always perks her up.
    If you do not have a sub-q fluids kit, your vet can sell you, and you can do it at home, so you don't have to pay for something you can do at home.
    I use Lactated Ringer's Solution.
    You can buy it at the vet, but it's usually cheaper if you can find a pharmacy that sells fluids.
    Most pharmacies do not carry fluids, but if you try a pharmacy that is attached to a big hospital, you'd have a better chance.
    I give Lucy 100 to 150 ml per day.
    I really think it will help Gobbles feel a little better.

I'll check back on him later.
    And I'll post again if I think of something else.
    I really hope metronidazole will kick in soon, Kat, and we can compare notes. :smile:

ETA:
    Another thing I discussed with my vet previously is that Lucy may not be producing enough digestive enzymes, and the food she eats may be just running through her, causing diarrhea.
    When I was thinking about this possibility (she does have IBD), I asked the vet what she thought about putting Lucy on digestive enzyme supplements, but vet wanted to do a test first to make sure that was the case.
    So we did a test (very expensive), and it turned out that her digestive enzymes were fine, so I never put her on enzyme supplements.
    But her recent blood test indicated that her protein level is low, so now the vet is concerned that Lucy might be losing protein into her intestine, and pointed out that this could be causing diarrhea.
    So, I suppose not being able to absorb nutrients due to lack of digestive enzymes could cause chronic diarrhea, making the food just run through them.
    I am going to do another blood test in a couple of month to confirm the diagnose, so I don't know what treatment plan the vet might have yet, but I may discuss adding enzyme supplements before increasing her steroids for her IBD.
    (But I'm a little hesitant about enzyme too because it could cause mouth ulcers.)
    When I originally talked about it with the vet about a couple of years ago, she did want to do the test first, but she also said that if I wanted to try and see, she thought it would be OK.
    At that time, I decided not to give it a try until I have the test results, so I didn't really research what's available, but I see some digestive enzymes available at many pet stores.
    If you run out of all options before you can take him to the vet, maybe it's something to consider......

61. TheBowHuntress

It was very interesting and Dian provided me with lots of details...Deb made sure I got a certain grab bag (everyone brought something and we picked bags) which contained fancy feast appetizers, cat magnets, cat door sign and um, adult finger paints. I told Dian that I didn't know they were for but could paint Gobbles paws with them and let him run around on a poster board to bring out his creativity. Well, Dian one-upped me by proceeding to explain that she had entertained the idea of using kitty bums to "stamp" or paint with.....needless to say, there was really a motley crew at the Reunion and we had a ton of fun and giggles!!! And Gobbles had a blast! When it was time to eat, he decided to jump on the buffet table. And he made a new best friend: J.D. (and what a sweet cat he is -- I am in love with him). They shared a piece of fried chicken :D

62. TheBowHuntress

No, he eats a little, mostly licking the juice/gravy, then walks away. He does not meatloaf. In fact, he asked for 2 belly rubs yesterday. I rubbed his belly for a while, firmly, in downward motion (thinking that if he does have a turd hung up, that may help). I don't think if he was nauseated he would want a good belly rubbing.

I am going to bring in a sample tomorrow. Are you referring to something like maybe Coccidia?

63. TheBowHuntress

Thanks for the shite lesson, Carl :lol: His squirts are a dijon color mustard--very runny. So far today, he has only had a large one at 8 a.m. this morning and it was after he ate. He has eaten 3x (plus drank pedialyte 2x) since I gave him 1/4 cypro this afternoon and he has yet to squirt (but he did pee once). It isn't a horrible smell--last time he had the bout of diarrhea (the "deer cam" days of spring), it was a nasty smell; much worse-smelling that it presently is. The only thing on the list above would be gravies (as in the dreaded HC food), but the diarrhea started on Tuesday and I did not resort to HC until 2 days ago... What are your/anyone reading this, thoughs about Coccidia?

64. Maggies Mom Debby

Re: GOBBLES GI UPDATE - cypro started...maybe coccidia?

If you haven't ruled out parasites, another possibility is giardia.

Emme had it and it took forever to get a diagnosis. Her diarrhea was periodic. I found out that the it is hard to diagnose because the cysts are shed in stools sporadically, so "several different fecal samples may be needed for a positive identification. Special stains may be needed, as the organism can sometimes be elusive." (http://cats.about.com/od/gastrictractdi ... iardia.htm). The treatment is Flagyl, and a second treatment dose is often needed.

65. TheBowHuntress

Thanks Debbie. Well, he's on Flagyl now but I really think he needs to be on it longer--the vet only gave me 10 pills (62.5 mg twice a day); he's on Day 3. I have to hold off on the giardia test if that is one of those expensive fecal exams that gets sent off (last one cost me about $170) but I am going to get a fecal sample for them to look at under the microscope...without taking him in, for now.

66. Janet and Izzy (GA)

Janet and Izzy (GA) Member

If you think the Diarrhea may be bacteria related. I have used this for my dog with some success after he picked up Giardia. This is there cat version.

http://www.entirelypets.com/vbgdicogelca.html

67. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

Kat, I'm adding this to compare notes. :smile:

Well Lucy had the last pill of metronidazole yesterday morning(she had it for 7 days/14 pills), and this afternoon her diarrhea came back. :sad:
    It was a part solid part runny poo.
    So I called the vet, and got more metronidazole - 10 days/20 pills this time.

The vet was available when I went to pick up the meds, and she thinks it's IBD flare and we have a good reason to suspect this as we reduced her steroids in order to better manage her diabetes.
    So I suppose Lucy is not holding the reduced steroids, and our next step would be to increase the steroids dose back to what it was before the reduction.
    I'd be disappointed but it's not too bad.
    A bit more steroid & a bit higher BG is better than constant inflammation for Lucy.
    And I can always adjust her insulin dose, although the chance of OTJ becomes slimmer for her.
    But again, that's fine. :smile:
    I asked about digestive enzymes, and the vet didn't think it would help Lucy's IBD because it's not a digestive problem, but she's hyper-reacting to the protein in her food (I guess sort of like allergy if I got her right), and causing inflammation.
    The inflammation is allowing the bacteria to over-grow, and causing diarrhea, is the most likely scenario in Lucy's case for this particular episode.

Since Gobbles is not an IBD kitty, he has a better chance to recover with metronidazole alone than Lucy!
    And I really hope so. Even if he may need to be on it for a longer period of time.

Good luck with the poop sample analysis tomorrow.

68. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Good luck from me and another runny cat. Tiggy is rollercoasting between normal poops and liquid. Very odd. Last time he had it we tested and found no bacteria or parasites. I hate when results are "inconclusive". I am wondering if its IBD or just wet food in general. Never had this issue before the diabetes when he was getting dry food - could be the FF but it took forever to find a wet food he would eat I dont want to go through that again and we arent going back to dry.

Anyway I hope you find something - its easier to treat when you know what it is.

Wendy

69. TheBowHuntress

Thanks Janet! It looks like good stuff. He's gone diarrhea twice today, but did eat way more than usual (however, he did get cypro).

70. TheBowHuntress

Thanks Mariko. I am very sorry to hear Lucy's poo is not firm; I hope it is the next time she takes to her LB. I will keep everyone updated.

71. TheBowHuntress

Thanks Wendy (and btw--Tiggy's SS looks great! Wow, congratulations on lots & lots of reductions...AWESOME!!!) I started the ReNew again today (he hasn't had it since Thursday, so I'm certain the ReNew wasn't causing his diarrhea. I also started giving him pedialyte today (with a bulb syringe as he can detect in his food and he's not a cat who willing drinks water) and he is drinking water mixed with tuna juice...also, watered down Tiki chicken....along with the flagyl twice a day. Hopefully, the poo test (the cheap version, under microscope done at the vet's office) won't be too expensive; I'm thinking 20 or 30 bucks...will find out tomorrow...

72. Janet and Izzy (GA)

Janet and Izzy (GA) Member

slippery elm bark works well for my dog. He has constant stomach and poo issues. It help soothe the intestinal lining as well. I buy mine in powdered form from Super supplements...the NOW foods brand.

73. TheBowHuntress

Re: GOBBLES GI UPDATE - PEDIALYTE ?

He doesn't seem dehydrated. Scruff snaps back. Gums have saliva on them. I started giving him Pedialyte last night. Now I am wondering if it can worse the diarrhea? He only had diarrhea 2x yesterday (dijon mustard colored) and 1x this morning (brown colored). How much is too much Pedialyte? I am using the unflavored variety. He detects it in food or water or tuna juice, so I am using a bulb syringe (and gave him about 3 ml yesterday, total). I wonder why the change in diarrhea color? Perhaps the Pedialyte? Tuna juice? ReNew?

I called the vet this morning. I asked the tech for more flagyl (they only gave me enough for 5 days on Saturday; one of which he vomited), the cheaper version of a stool examination and sub-Qs. The tech said they will NOT just hand me the sub-Q's and only send stool samples to the lab. She said she will see about more flagyl. She attempted to make an appointment. I told her I am trying to avoid that because I DO NOT HAVE MONEY for a vet visit and expensive tests.... I wonder what part of NO MONEY do they not understand???

I put him back on ReNew yesterday; he was on a 4 day hiatus from it. I had stopped it when I was trying to narrow down what may have caused the diarrhea to start. I am not sure if I should continue the metamucil ???so haven't given it to him thus far today.

ETA: Gobbles' vet just called me. He is going to prescribe more flagyl as he is only on Day 4 of it, and said they can do a $38 stool test to check for giardia, among other things. He does not believe he is dehydrated at this time, based on all the fluid he is getting (water in food, tuna juice, pedialyte) and gum, scruff tests. I am feeling a bit better about this....

74. Maggies Mom Debby

I'm glad the vet is giving Gobbles more flagyl. The test for giardia is a simple visual test, but a number of stool samples may be needed over time because the cysts are not shed continuously. And I think with parasites you sometimes need a couple of doses. One to kill the first parasite, another to get the next generation after the eggs hatch.

75. Larry and Kitties

76. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Prayers for you and Gobbles. Hoping for the best.
    j.

77. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

78. TheBowHuntress

Another bout at 3 pm (thats 2x today). There's a difference in the color of his diarrhea. It had been (except for one time) the color of dijon mustard. It is now medium-brown color. I had not given him his metamucil this morning. I just gave it to him....oh, what to do--what not to do! Mind-boggling!!!

Between flagyl, metamucil, pepcid, pedialyte, renew, getting him to eat and drink, lots of useful advice and information....my head is spinning! He seems to be feeling well and himself--wanted to go outside (I kept him on the porch) twice, allowed me to pet him, being social, smacking the dog, giving kisses....

I will be sure to post as soon as I hear back on his fecal test.

79. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Time to make a chart!

Pepcid about 30 minutes before a meal, if he's not eating otherwise.

Flagyl (are you instructed when/how to give it?)

Metamucil may alter the vailability of both the Flagyl and the Renew.

Give Renew about 2 hours after the Flagyl (or it may get killed off by the Flagyl)

PediaLyte only if you are observing dehydration - skin tenting, gum dryness.

80. TheBowHuntress

Done--great idea!

Will do, if need be--what about if he is eating very little? Still give that OR I do have cypro....but know it has to be given on an empty tummy.....

One tab (62.5 mg) twice a day--I give it at 8 a.m/8 p.m.

Is there sometime during the day it would be best to give? Perhaps mid-day...say, 2 p.m.?

Will do this at second feeding (about 11 a.m.)

Will check for dehydration twice a day!

Thanks so much :D

81. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Re: GOBBLES GI UPDATE - Waiting on fecal test....

If the Pepcid is helping him eat, give it first.

Mix a small amount (1/8 or 1/4 teaspoon) of the Metamucil with some water (so it doesn't make lumps!) and food and give if he'll eat it; syringe if not. *

Wait maybe an hour or two, give Flagyl.

Then 2 hrs later, give the Renew.

* if dehydration occurs, you might use the pedialyte to moisten the Metamucil.

82. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Awwww! I hope Mikey's cohort in crime feels better! I went through something similar a few weeks ago and through all the testing, the end result was: "it seems to be some sort of gastrointestinal inflammation." He started eating on his own again after about 4 days and is back to normal (albeit with a 1u decrease in dose! :D ). A few days later, Henry had his own bout with diarrhea (no throwing up or lack of appetite, though). It might have been a stomach bug they both caught, maybe it was a bad batch of food? Either way, we're all hoping for Gobby's speedy recovery! Paws and fingers crossed and whisker kisses to you!

83. TheBowHuntress

Well, I didn't see this post before I gave him the Flagyl at 7:30 a.m.! Dang!

He ate like maybe 1 tsp. of Friskies SD Ocean Whitefish with the Flagyl. If he does not want to eat, not sure if I should go with the Pepcid or Cypro. And not sure, at 9:30, if I should go with the metamucil or ReNew. I offered him some chicken broth, at 8:30 a.m., but he snubbed itl If he were your bratty cat, what might you do???

84. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

How's the diarrhea this am?

Maybe try food without the Metamucil or anything else in it and see if that tastes better to him?

85. TheBowHuntress

at 12:30 a.m., which was 9.5 hours from last episode at 3:00 p.m. yesterday.

Just now, at 9:30 a.m., he ate 2 tbs. of FF LC, combined with ReNew and water.

86. Re: GOBBLES GI UPDATE - Waiting on fecal test....

Kat,
    This just came back to me (apparently that brain cell wasn't quite dead). Is there any way that Gobbles could have gotten into chocolate? Mullet did last year, and had explosive diarrhea for a few days. The "color" doesn't sound right, but it was dark chocolate in his case. Looked the same coming out.

87. TheBowHuntress

No, definitely--no chocolates lays around in the house anywhere...but thanks for using your brain cells.!!

88. TheBowHuntress

Re: GOBBLES GI UPDATE - Fecal NEGATIVE for parasites...

Vet's office just called: "fecal is negative for intestinal parasites"....

89. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Hi guys .. wow, Did not realize gobbles was still not feeling well .. I'm sending lots of firming up poo thoughts his way!!

90. Larry and Kitties

What tests were performed?

91. carfurby (GA)

Kat, I'm glad there are no parasiates, but I know it's frustrating not knowing what's causing it. Sending prayers for you and Gobbles. I hope he gets over the diarrhea soon.

92. Maggies Mom Debby

Remember, you may need to test for giardia a number of times because the cysts are not shed continuously. It took 3 tries over a couple of months for Emme's test to come back positive.

93. TheBowHuntress

Hi Larry; thanks for the information. This looks like a pricey test; anything more than $5 just isn't in my budget just now...I will keep this in mind though and find out what my vet charges for it :D

94. TheBowHuntress

"Fecal/Giardia Elisa Combo"

95. TheBowHuntress

Thank you Devon, Carla, Kay & everyone else who has been responding to my looooong post :D It is truly amazing just how much compassion and support that our "family" here has for eachother.

Gobbles is eating today; he's ate 5x, a little bit at a time (1 tsp - 2 Tbs). He drank the water that comes in a can of Tiki chicken...(no rice nor fish). I tricked him into getting his ReNew by taking a nib of boiled ham and rolling it in the ReNew. He's had his Flagyl (next dose tonight) and 1/4 Pepcid. I will mix some metamucil in his food a little later.

There was a medium, brown, loose present left for me in the LB at approximately 12:30 a.m.....so far nothingHOWEVER someone (3 cats live here) left a large formed turd late this morning....the same color of his brown diarrhea (with a blob of cat hair in it) in the spot where Gobbles does his business. It MAY have been him...

Otherwise, he passed the scruff and gum test for dehydration, is his self...in fact, acting up today...whining to go out, investigating the closets, smacked his poor dog 3x (usually he only does that 1x day), tons of morning kisses (he is intent on licking the wrinkles off my face--good boy!), taking TP off the roll when I get up, wants to go out (took him out this morning and will again this evening).

With regard to eating--he begs, then eats a little...I'm adding water to his food, as I've been doing for months...

ETA: :( medium, brown, loose pile in LB at approximately 5:00 p.m.

96. Hillary & Maui (GA)

continuing to send good thoughts and answers....sorry I don't have any additional suggestions.

97. TheBowHuntress

Thanks Hillary--tell Maui that right now he's had to put his speedo away and hopefully can wear it in the next day or two....makes him just wanna go more......

98. TheBowHuntress

Would pepsid or cypro affect the absorption of Flagyl?

Also, I've read that Flagyl can affect appetite...maybe that's why he isn't eating enough...

99. Larry and Kitties

Medscape's drug interaction which is part of a larger app shows no interaction for those three drugs for humans.

100. TheBowHuntress

Thanks Larry. I'm wondering that since his fecal, for whatever they tested for (!!!) is negative, should he still be on flagyl?

In all honesty, I don't know what the following bolded words mean and therefore if I should still be giving flagyl. Here is what I copied from a search I did here on FDMB:

(flagyl)...typically used for anerobic bacterial infections of the gut as well as protozoal infections. It also has anti-inflammatory properties so if that's what's causing the diarrhea, it can help...(by Sienne)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.