Going away for the weekend, anyone have tips?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Beck, Sep 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beck

Beck Member

This weekend I'm in my sister's wedding. Originally I thought I was coming back Friday night, so I'd be able to check on Pepper. That plan fell through and now it sounds like I'll be gone Friday morning to Sunday afternoon.

Having someone come check on her isn't an option since it's really rural out here. Also, anyone who would have been willing to help will be at the wedding.

I have setup up a camera on the wifi so I can at least check in on her from my phone. It even outputs audio so I can talk to her. But of course she could also find a new napping spot outside of the camera's view.

Probably what I could use most is tips on how to keep wet/homemade food out as long as possible. I once put out a frozen brick of food when the power went out and it was gone by morning. Maybe I could try putting out a pyramid of them with an ice pack underneath the plate? Any ideas welcome there.

I should probably also note, outside of the diabetes Pepper appears to be totally healthy. Never found ketones in any of her tests. Her glucose tests have been kind of wonky of recent, but luckily nothing terribly high for her.

Sorry that was a bit lengthy. Any advice is welcome. Even just stories of how your kitties fair in similar situations would be nice to hear.

2. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Can you check with your vet's office? One of the vet techs may pet sit on the side or know someone who does and can test Pepper and give her injections. I would really hesitate to leave her all alone if she were mine.

3. Beck

Beck Member

I'm about an hour out from the nearest vet and it's a very small office. I also don't think I could get someone on this short of notice. As much as I'd like to try finding someone local in the future, it just isn't going to happen at this time.

4. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Could you board her at the vet's?

5. Beck

Beck Member

Pepper does get really stressed as soon as she sets foot in a car. I can't imagine it would be worth it for just a weekend. Luckily it does sound like I might be able to get a ride back Friday night now. So hopefully only one night away. Thanks for the suggestions anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.