Going away need advice on dose and pre-fill

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lisa and little, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

hi all. I am going away tomorrow afternoon so from tomorrow PM to Sunday AM shot I will have a sitter that does not test. That said I was thinking I need to reduce my dose to 2U from 2.25 based on my SS. She’s been safe on 2 although not good and went as low as 52 on 6/18 PM on 2.25 so that scares me. I’m pretty confident I don’t have to lower more but would like your advice. That said I called the pharmacist and he said I should not worry one bit about prefilling syringes for a few doses. He said it’s done all the time and I shouldn’t worry about the lubricant In syringe effecting the Insulin. I’d feel safer drawing the doses up myself and leaving them as the dose is so small and everyone’s eyes are different but I know advice here has been not to pre fill. Thanks in advance for all the advice and expertise.

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I have done the pre-fill in the morning for the shot that night when I was going to be out. You can always fill a syringe with a dark liquid for a sample for them to use as a visual cue. If it was for more than that...I got the sitter to do the draw.

To be safe, I would go back to 2. 2.25u is getting Little into some nice greens.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  3. Lisa and little

Thank you. I am uncomfortable letting sitter draw so I may try pre fill for 4 cycles. The pharmacist was emphatic that is was not a big deal. As for 2.25. I am at that now but with the 52 the other night I am concerned with leaving her on that dose with no testing. I welcome other opinions. I guess I am chicken.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  4. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

No, that is being cautious! If you are really concerned you can drop it back to 1.75u.

There was one person that pre-filled for a week, she didn't think it did any harm.

5. Lisa and little

I think I’m comfortable with 2 based on the data I have so far although we all know anything can happen ... eek. Gives me anxiety. Gonna invent a new cocktail- vodka and pepto bismol :smuggrin:

Djamila and Tracey&Jones (GA) like this.
  6. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Better a day too high than an hour too low....if you can't test, dropping the dose down is the safest thing to do. Let's hope Little doesn't decide to go too wild and crazy while you're away. :)