Going off Lantus

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Heather&Squash, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heather&Squash

Heather&Squash New Member

Hello!

My cat has been on 1 unit of Lantus insulin since June. Today, my vet recommended we try weaning her off as he feels she's in remission. I repeated the protocol back to him but the reasoning doesn't make sense to me....but I'm not a doctor! Haha.

Our schedule since June has been:
    • 7:30 AM - 10 AM - Breakfast is offered and left down
    • 8ish AM - Insulin given
    • 10 AM - Pickup breakfast bowl
    • Between noon - 2 PM check glucose level (if checking that day)
    • 7:30 PM - 10 PM - Dinner is offered and left down
    • 8ish PM - Insulin given
    • 10 PM - Pickup dinner bowl

So, my question is about when to check insulin now. My vet has told me to stop JUST the morning dose and then check her glucose between 9-11 PM. Wouldn't it make sense to check her glucose during the day (since she would have a missed insulin dose)? If I check in the evening, she will have had an insulin dose several hours prior.

Thank you! :)

Added info:
    Based off conversations with members in another discussion area, it has been recommended that I do 1/2 unit in the am and the pm instead of what I have listed above.

Comments/Responses from other thread:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/protocol-for-going-off-insulin.206403/#post-2288686

2. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

If you and your vet feel you should start weaning her off insulin I agree with your last statement that you should keep the same schedule and protocol you currently have just slowly decrease the amount of insulin given instead of cutting one whole dosage out. That makes more sense and would be less of a shock to her system. :smuggrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.