Going on 2 months, still usually in the 300 range

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Marshmallow's Mom, Jul 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marshmallow's Mom

Marshmallow's Mom Member

I'm frustrated that Marvin isn't getting lower numbers with the increased doses. He was diagnosed in late May but probably had high BG prior to that.

He just doesn't feel well and I wish I could help him. I'm afraid of the damage that is being done on his system.

I have a really great all-feline vet that I don't want to upset. He wants me to stay on the same does for 7 days because "The blood glucose can vary sometimes even with the "perfect" insulin dose. If we change too soon sometimes we can have more significant swings of too low and then too high. (especially if he starts to produce his own insulin due to getting close to normal and decreasing the effects of insulin resistance on his pancreas)."

And that:

"Don't worry about the highs just before his insulin injection, we are more concerned that he gets into the 100 to 200 blood glucose range for several hours during the day. Humans have more problems with high glucose (cataracts, diabetic nephropathy etc), Cats are more resistant to effects of high glucose and trying to get too tight of regulation is more likely to cause problems than prevent problems."

He wanted me to stay on the 2.75 until Monday, but I made the decision to start 3.00 yesterday. Still no numbers in the 100-200 range...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I actually agree overall with what your vet has said. However, your SS data show that Marshmallow needs more insulin. I'm glad you increased to 3 u. Keeping a dose for 7 days is a standard vet approach but some cats get "stuck" in high numbers if left there too long. That's why we often recommend more frequent increases until you start seeing a lot more blue - and even some dark green - on your SS.

Djamila likes this.
  3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yes, it sounds like you have a really good vet who knows more about this than most. Some cats are really volatile and holding a dose for a longer period of time lets them settle down so you can see what the dose is really doing. However, when you aren't getting good responses yet, the more frequent increases are appropriate.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Marshmallow's Mom

Marshmallow's Mom Member

Thank you for the support Kris and Djamila! I'm feeling very impatient as I'm worried about my Marshmallow suffering....I'll stay the course and have faith it will eventually get into the blue numbers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.