Going on Holiday - Need advice for carers whilst away

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by amy keay, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amy keay

amy keay Member

Hi everyone

Been a while since I posted and things generally going ok.
    Testing most mornings to ensure right shot for the day and his numbers have increased slightly so we’re on 2.5u twice daily.
    We’re going on holiday on Thursday for 2 weeks and Sooty is staying at home (in his normal surroundings - he’s never been in a cattery in his life and would stress him out too much).
    I looked into pet sitters, etc but someone in my local cats protection shop mentioned about whether a cat sitter coming in twice a day at a set time would work.
    So, I have asked my neighbours (who have cats) to look after Sooty and administer insulin.
    I am panicking big style leaving him and need some advice as to how I can make it as comfortable and stress free as possible. I have felliway, I have the hypo took Kit, I have instructions written down for neighbours and a plentiful supply of food !
    Anything else or any tips please ?
    Thanks for your help
    Amy xx

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Are your neighbors going to be testing too?
    Have they spent enough time in your home that Sooty knows them well and doesn't run and hide? Will he interact with them?
    Do they know the signs of DKA?

Usually we suggest dropping the dose down while you're gone because cats generally don't act the same or eat the same when their routine is disrupted.

It's a good idea to leave an "example" syringe filled with colored fluid of some kind so they can double check their dosing too.

Diana&Tom likes this.
  3. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Hi Amy
    I agree with Chris - it's important to get the neighbours into the house and familiarise themselves with what needs to be done, not to mention familiarising Sooty with different people who he has to trust and co-operate with. I would ask them to come in to the house every day between now and Thursday to make sure they are ok with what needs to be done and also that you feel Sooty is in good hands. Holidays are supposed to be restful and you don't want to be worrying about things at home while you're away.

I'd also suggest leaving the neighbours your contact number(s) and the number of the vet in case of queries/emergencies. Also it will be rather quiet for Sooty on his own most of the time so make sure he has his favourite toys within reach, and maybe keep a radio on for background noise. It may also be comforting for him if you put an item of your worn clothing somewhere where he normally sleeps, so he picks up your scent and is reassured by that.

4. amy keay

amy keay Member

Hi

Thanks for the replies.
    My neighbours know Sooty and he often goes into their house to scavenge food so he is familiar with them too.
    They came over last night and stayed for an hour whilst we explained all we could remember to them. The lady used to inject their rabbit years ago so she is ok with injecting - I think if I was going to ask them to test to it might be a bit too much of an ask.
    He has been fairly stable the last few months so I’m hoping that will continue.
    They are coming over tonight to have a try at the injection and also tomorrow night so they will have had 2 “practices” with us around.
    I’ve printed off a map of the vets and phone number and the vets have my written authority for them to take him in if they are concerned at all.
    I’ve also got a new felliway refill and his favourite toys etc will be around.
    Should I drop the dose ?
    At the moment, either myself or my husband are at home and he generally has free food to graze on as well as his main meals.
    I’m not sure he will get the same amount of food from my neighbours but at the same time his dose of 2.5u probably isn’t enough on some days as his pm shot can sometimes be in the 25+ figures.

All help gratefully received - it’s not going to be relaxing holiday - I am going to be worrying constantly !

A xx

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Can't hurt to ask though....worse they could say is "No".

I would...cats are pretty unpredictable when their routine is disrupted and having his hoomins gone could very well impact how much he eats so for safety, I'd reduce to 2.0

All that being said, there are a lot of blanks in your spreadsheet between June 17 and July 21 and you went from 1U to 2.5.….that's a LOT more insulin and his numbers really aren't getting much better..in fact, he looked a little better on the lower doses than he does now.

When you get back, we might want to discuss trying a lower dose and getting a few more tests in and see if you can get better control.

6. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Time is running out but if at all possible try to comvince your neighbours that it is always safest to test before giving any insulin dose.

7. amy keay

amy keay Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I’ll ask about the testing - like you said it doesn’t hurt to ask !
    Re the dosing - I didn’t populate the ss but his numbers were too high for just 1u so hence why I increased the dose. Also, I gradually increased from 1u to 1.5 etc up to 2.5.
    He was on 2u for about a fortnight but I was still getting pre shot numbers in the 20’s and the lowest he would go would be 10, hence why I increased it up (maybe I haven’t done it right).
    I’ll suggest the 2u whilst we are away and then do a full curve when we get back.
    I’ll do some testing tomorrow too and populate the ss with the number for some feedback.

8. amy keay

amy keay Member

Just done his PMPS and he’s 27.2.
    These are typical of the pm numbers I’m getting hence why the 2.5u

9. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

My caretaker when we are away is my mom. She is actually ok with both testing and injecting (fortunately, Whispy is ridiculously compliant). The part that she was least confident about was drawing up the syringe. I agree to leave a sample syringe drawn up with whatever dose you choose, but while you are training them, be sure to have them draw up the syringe and then you look at it when they are done to be sure you both agree. Even my husband and I had to be sure that we are looking at the dose the same way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.