? Going on vacation: how to handle shots, feeding?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by fearlessmom, Jun 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fearlessmom

fearlessmom Member

I'm posting on the main health forum to hopefully get suggestions from a variety of folks. (I typically post on the Lantus side.) Fearless is my diabetic boy. He has two litter mates. He was diagnosed in March with BG in the 400s. Only recently has he spent more time in the yellows, blues and greens than in the pinks and reds. '

I have a couple short trips planned for this summer. I have a pet sitter who is experienced giving insulin shots. Here are my questions:
    1. If the sitter is not testing (haven't asked her yet, but she is coming over this wk to discuss), should I have her shoot a reduced amt of insulin to avoid a potential hypo incident? Or withhold shots altogether? When others here have done this (reduced or no insulin for a few days while on vaca) how long does it take to get BG back down?
    2. The first trip is 3 days/2 nts. Can I pre-pull the syringes and leave them in the fridge, needle up in a glass? (My vet said I could do this but he also told me to roll the Lantus vial, and I've since learned from this MB that that was incorrect advice.) I know the mfr. does not recommend this but I'm wondering if anyone has ever experimented and had OK results.
    3. We have several two-compartment auto feeders with ice pack for wet food (the 5-6 compartment feeders don't work with three cats). I was thinking that the sitter could feed the cats at 7 am (1/2 can for each), then set the auto feeder for 9 or 10 am (another 1/2 can each). Then do the same thing in the evening. That way Fearless gets 1 can between 7 am and 10 am, and another can same times in the evening. (This is the most similar schedule to what he's on now, where he gets the same amt divided into 4 meals, once an hour for the first 4 hrs of each cycle.)

Fearless will stick around, but the other two cats will scatter when the sitter comes over. This works in her favor since she can feed and shoot, but she can't be expected to spend more than 30 min here to see who eats what. Possible that Fearless would eat everything and the others would get nothing. That leads me to my last question:
    4. Before diabetes, I would use dry food to supplement when I had to go out of town. Now all three cats eat nothing but low carb canned (FF classic). I have been toying with the idea of purchasing Young Again Zero Mature. I know dry is a big no-no, but (only) for times like this, is it better than having one cat eat too much or not enough?

Pls feel free to share your experiences, make suggestions, etc.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You might want to repost this in the Lantus forum too. The Lantus manufacturer does not recommend prefilling syringes. Typically people will post on the forum a couple days before their trip, and ask for a suggested petsitter dose. If the person isn't going to test, we'll suggest a lower number than if they will test. You can leave a sample syringe with coloured liquid in it, to show what the dose is.

As for food, I would stick with wet if you can. Have you tried "catfoodsicles"? Mix up half food with half water, and freeze in ice cube trays, leave out to thaw for later. Are there places Fearless can't reach that the others can?

3. fearlessmom

fearlessmom Member

20 people viewed this post, but only you replied so, yes, I will post to the Lantus forum. Just thought I'd get a larger sample if I posted to the main health forum. Per your suggestion, I'll wait to repost until I know if my cat sitter will test or not. She may feel comfortable pulling the syringes herself, in which case this part of my query will be moot.

Unfortunately, short of segregating Fearless in a separate room (which would undoubtedly add to everyone's stress levels), there is no way I can separate their food to make sure he (or his sibs) are eating enough. As to putting out wet food, I've got that covered with programmable auto feeders that the sitter will rotate in and out of the fridge so the cats are fed at 7/10 am and 7/10 pm (7 being PS time). The idea of dry was only to supplement so I am sure they are all getting enough food to sustain them. Perhaps I needn't worry as Fearless usually jumps from his perch on the back of the sofa to "help" his brothers clean their dish. To be honest, I worry more about the other boys getting enough to eat.

4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Hi Fearless's Mum!
    I can't give any suggestions for a dose for pet sitter but I do the frozen wet food "catfoodsicles", as Wendy stated, when I won't be home to give Maury his "lunch" :). I like the idea of leaving a coloured water syringe filled to proper dose for pet sitter to use as a guide better than leaving pre-filled syringes. I hope the Lantus members can help with a reduced dose while you are gone. I'd hate to see you have to skip insulin and possibly start over :facepalm:. Hopefully she will be for learning how to home test him before shots *paws crossed* and might let you relax a little more while you are away :). Best of luck!

fearlessmom likes this.
  5. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

The reason I was given is that the "stopper" in the syringe, the part that makes contact with the inside of the barrel has a lubricant that may leach into the insulin.
    As for the smaller doses all I can say is better too high than HYPO but you're smart enough to know what a generalization that statement is and that it is only a very short term "feel better" piece of advice. I have no experience with Lantus or how Lantus affects high numbers so if anyone has better advice just disregard me.
    I will soon be facing the same dilemma but Noah will hide behind the furnace if a stranger comes so luckily my vet will board him. Good luck.

6. fearlessmom

fearlessmom Member

That describes my two other cats precisely, so thank goodness neither of them needs to be poked like Fearless. Boarding is always a possibility, I suppose, but I think that would stress Fearless even more than being separated from his brothers by a door. A definite option for a longer time away though.

7. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't know if "cat buddies" is something we've made ourselves believe but we're thinking of boarding Noah with his Andy. That still leaves 4 cats in the house so no one will be alone. Andy is the peacemaker and inserts himself into Noah's life, Noah just wants to be left alone but tolerates Andy quite well. I can't see the harm in it. Anyone else?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.