Going outside the box

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Janet and Cocoa, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Janet and Cocoa

Janet and Cocoa New Member

Cocoa has been peeing and pooping in places other than his box. This has happened a few times in the past month, most frequently in the past week. He has an appointment with the vet on March 4. I'm concerned he might have a bladder infection or stones. He does not seem to have trouble going, only going to the box.
    What I'm wanting is some help with info I can have if the vet suggests I start feeding him CD. She might not, because she knows I have fed him Wellness since he was DX with diabetes 2 years ago and he is now OTJ. But if she starts pushing it, I want to be prepared with info as to other foods that are safe for cats that have developed stones. I know CD is not a magical food and there are other superior foods that are fine for cats with bladder issues to eat. I just need to know what those foods are.
    Cocoa currently eats Wellness grain-free varieties, with Turkey being the one he eats most. I have also started feeding some Fancy Feast Turkey & Giblets and Chicken & Liver to help stretch my budget. Are these foods safe for cats that may have stones or bladder issues? Any other suggestions?

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Janet, first question......have you changed the type of litter you use? I don't know how old Cocoa is but has he ever had his thyroid checked? I would also ask the vet to do a urine culture......it takes a few days to get results but IMHO it is the best way to rule out/in a UTI and what antibiotic is best to use, if any.

3. Janet and Cocoa

No the litter is the same I've been using for several years.
    Cocoa is 12 years old and I don't believe has ever had a thyroid check. I did ask about it at one time because he seems to always be hungry and his only interest is the food bowls.
    I should tell his history, so you get the correct picture.
    Cocoa and my other cats were fed mostly dry food for the first 8 years I had them. Cocoa was always a large cat and had an appetite to match, but just before his diabetes DX he topped out at 28 lbs! After his DX I stopped the dry food and began feeding Wellness grain-free canned food. In the last two years he has lost 10lbs and was even able to get OTJ. But he became obsessed with the food bowls and would hang around until the other cats (2) would finish and leave their bowls, then he would clean up anything they left if I wasn't right there to pick up the bowls. He hangs out in the kitchen and begs every time I go in the kitchen.
    He does have some arthritis in his back, so he isn't able to jump very high and he does limp occasionally. I have been giving him Cosequin daily for almost a year to help with that.
    When I did ask the vet if he could have a thyroid disorder she said he didn't really fit the profile, so I don't think the test was included in is blood work last year.

How is a urine culture done? I hope they can get a sample somehow there, because I really don't know if I'll be able to get one at home.

4. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Your vet would do a cystocentesis........

How Is a Cystocentesis Done?

In order to perform a cystocentesis, your veterinarian will either select a relatively hairless area or shave a small area of hair from the abdomen over the urinary bladder. The skin is disinfected and a needle is inserted into the bladder. Urine is collected with special tubing or syringe. Analysis of the urine may be done by your veterinarian or submitted to an outside laboratory. Test results may not be available for up to 3 to 5 days, but sometimes results may be available within a couple of hours. The length of time will depend on which tests are necessary.

I would definitely ask for thyroid test also. Not using the litter box, always hungry......definitely do thyroid.

5. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

There are several possible reasons for such behaviour, some are phsyical (UTI, feeling sick, cystitis, arthritis, etc) and some are psychological/behavioural. My Squeak decided a few years ago that he doesn't want to poop in the litter box. We've 3 litter boxes and 2 cats and he poops on the concrete floor near the boxes. We've resorted to putting paper down on the floor so it is a more sanitary situation. I've no idea why he does it as it is not due to any physical issues. I know it is psychological but have yet to ask an animal communicator about it....on my list of things to do....

6. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Take a look at Dr. Lisa's liter box section for some theories and some speculation you can share with your vet. As Jen says, there are many possible reasons, one that hit me is that perhaps his arthritis is getting worse.

7. Janet and Cocoa

Thanks for all the great suggestions/ideas.
    Now as for the food issue, if she starts pushing the CD. I DO NOT want to feed him that, so I need to know what foods
    are are good for a cat that may have bladder and/or stone issues. I can't recall if they need to have low Phosphorus or Magnesium, or what? Or does it even really matter as long as they are eating a wet diet?
    Hopefully it won't come to that, but if it does, I want to be prepared.

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Here is what the Hill's sit ays about CD:

Key Benefits
    Prescription Diet® c/d® Multicare Feline is formulated with the following benefits:
    Controlled levels of calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and oxalate to help limit the building blocks of crystals and bladder stones
    Rich in fish oil - an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acids - to help promote healthy skin and a shiny coat
    Added potassium citrate to help interrupt bladder stone formation
    Increased levels of vitamin B6 to help decrease oxalate formation
    Low sodium to maintain normal blood pressure
    High in antioxidants (Vitamin E and Beta-Carotene) to control cell oxidation and promote a healthy immune system

Therefore, you want a food with the same attributes.

9. Maaryon

Maaryon Member

Sometimes the solution is as simple as a larger box as some cats as they get older feel cramped by the usual size box. Also, is he pooping right near the box all over the house? Does he poop or pee on his bedding? And that question about changing the kitty litter brand is important as well as - did the kitty litter you always use change someting without your knowing ie size of pellets, smell etc?

10. Janet and Cocoa

I already use under the bed size boxes for litter box, so I know there's plenty of room for him in the box.
    As for the litter changing something, if they did I don't know about it. It looks and smells the same (unscented) and I always add new to the existing litter so if there is any change in texture it would be gradual, but I haven't even noticed that.
    He is pooping/peeing in other places not even near the box. I doesn't happen all the time just every now and then. Twice in the past week. I won't know for sure why until tests at the vet visit are complete.
    Anyway, this is getting way off track of my original question, which was about food. I thought maybe someone else might of had a kitty with bladder issues and could suggest some foods that I could use other than CD if the vet suggests it.

11. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Janet, you don't need to give a reason for refusing c/d or any other food. The key with bladder issues is water, water, water so you must feed wet food with additional water. You can add fish oil and you can choose foods that mimic the pofile of that junk, but with better ingredients.

I have told my vets I will not allow Hills products for my cats because I have seen so many complications from using them. Stick to your guns.

12. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Royal Canin Urinary S/O is another prescription food for urinary issues, but with much better ingredients than c/d. Friskies Special Diet is also for struvite crystals and low in phosphorus.

13. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

When Harley was a growing boy he suddenly started going outside the litter box. Come to find out he didn't like the size of the box. Once I got him a larger litter box he started using the box again.
    You might try just getting a NEW litter box and see if that has any affect.

14. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Please see my Feline Urinary Tract Health page linked below.

I did not read all of the posts on this thread. Hopefully you are using an unscented clumping litter and scooping frequently - at least 2x/day depending on the cat-to-box ratio and how often the boxes are used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.