Going to be a long night, could use some moral support...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jasper Blue and Jay, Apr 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jasper Blue and Jay

Jasper Blue and Jay Member

So I posted in the Prozinc forum but seems like not much traffic over there and a lot people seem to post here for this kind of thing so...gave our guy a fairly new dose even though he was far lower than he usually is at PS... and feeling nervous. I know that 180 is technically a "safe number"... I just know that it is low for him... and this dose increase is fairly new for him too..just going to be up all night worried and testing and thought I'd see if anyone else is going to be up all night worried and testing too cause it gets lonely.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...sure-what-to-do-thinking-reduced-dose.213166/

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi, sorry no one was around for you on the Prozinc page.
    I see you gave the 0.75 units Prozinc witha preshot of 180.....is that correct? And you gave some 13% carb food with it?
    I am not a Prozinc user but will be around off and on over the next several hours,, although I have to go out soon for an hour and later for about 3 hours.
    I would get a +1 and a +2 to start with to see what Jasper is thinking of doing.
    Post any BSL here so we can see thanks.

Jasper Blue and Jay likes this.
  3. Jasper Blue and Jay

Thanks so much for replying.

Yep, that's correct. Just did his +1 and he's not really budged from his PS, +1 is 183 even though he ate from about 50 minutes to 85 minutes ago.

He ate his regular pate before we gave him his shot because I was trying to decide what to do and they were starving lol... and then right after his shot I gave him about 1/4 can of the 13% , his brother snuck a little bit...lol we just put down the last 1/4 of the can now.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  4. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Hello, I was up all night last night doing the same exact thing. I am going to get a little more sleep tonight but have alarms set for +4 right now.

5. Jasper Blue and Jay

He's acted "hypo" at times when he's been as high as yellow... his body seems to react to the drops as if they're all the way down to hypo..

Right now he's acting more hallucinatey than ever... and kind of paranoid... he has done this before in yellows/blues...where he thinks there is something/someone behind him in this cubby that has an open back...but only for a second or so before... this time I took him out of there and he acted scared like I was distracting him from watching the thing... that isn't there...and now he's hiding in a corner he never goes to let alone hides in ...except for when he's lower than usual :(

eta...nevermind...he's not hiding anymore...lol...as I was typing/editing that he jumped up to one of his favorite spots on a couch and is a little spacey outy but mostly his eyes look good and normal...

6. Jasper Blue and Jay

+2 = 230, so I can relax for a couple hours lol

Thanks so much for the support. :bighug:

7. Jasper Blue and Jay

Wasn't going to test him for a couple hours but he started acting weird again, he's down to 175 at +3... surprised he's already going back down again even with the medium carb food... mc food brought him to low 300s til at least +4 today...

So gave him just a little 15% gravy lovers food, about a tblspn amount just now.

He is acting hungry and low but he didn't bother with the regular food that was leftover from earlier so I guess he isn't *that* hungry? If he's being picky...

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Looks like he wants to have an active cycle this evening and keep you on your toes. Still quite safe. The +2 number could have been a food spike from the MC food.
    When were you thinking of testing again?

9. Jasper Blue and Jay

I generally just go by how he acts to decide when to test ...or around nadir if he's acting normal.

But since he's acting super weird tonight...lol...

So if he's still acting weird by +4 I'm going to test him again... maybe +4.5 lol cause he has settled back in and is taking a nap right now.

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

OK. I'll watch out for the test. I have to go out in an hour for about 4 hours but will. Check back in when I get back.
    Do you know how to manage low numbers?

11. Jasper Blue and Jay

Yes, I just reread the sticky just to be sure and I have honey handy and plenty of 15% carb food.

Thanks so much.

12. Jasper Blue and Jay

+4 225 hopefully he'll follow a natural nadir now...

13. Jasper Blue and Jay

+5 207 +6 212

Probably totally safe to leave out some food and go to sleep but he's been acting low tonight so I want to stay up with him even though he's sound asleep lol

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  14. Bron and Sheba (GA)

As far as the numbers go you are fine to get some sleep

15. Jasper Blue and Jay

I think so too, but I am probably just going to try to nap on the couch with him just in case lol

16. Jasper Blue and Jay

+7 207 Thought he'd be rising a bit by now... gave them some pate food. Going to take a nap since my wife will be up in a few hours, he's in safe territory and now he's had some nummies lol.

Thanks for the support, I really appreciate it. <3

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  17. Jasper Blue and Jay

So... he kept acting low... restless... so I stayed up with him... didn't stop being weird... took a massive poop ...lol it's florentine colored and scented...won't be getting that type of mc food again...lol

But... he's going down again... at +8 ...he's 169...

I wouldn't be uncomfortable with 169 at +8 except for the fact that... what would it be right now if I *hadn't* give him extra carbs for the first 3 hours after his shot?

Also, what really makes me uncomfortable ...is that he is obviously uncomfortable. I know how awful hypoglycemia feels... and I feel so bad for him. ( I know he's not actually hypoglycemic, but he/his body feels like he is because these are lows for him.)

And he's VERY frustrated with all the testing. :(

18. Jasper Blue and Jay

+9 ... 163 .

After a little bit of 15% carb food after his +8 test.

He's VERY unhappy... he gave me a warning nibble as I tried to pick him up for this test... and he's been giving warning growls the last few times... and earlier tonight he swatted but missed when my wife tried to get him out of a box for a test.

He doesn't do that. He's a very very good and patient and forgiving boy.

I am stressed all the way out. Haven't slept... why is he still going down instead of up with all this food including 13-15% carb food?

Why is he so sensitive to these numbers?

What do I do now?

I will have to sleep at some point, and my wife doesn't know how to test him...and the way he's acting now I wouldn't want her to try to learn right now...

19. Bron and Sheba (GA)

He is quite safe in those numbers and the last two have been much the same so he is surfing.
    I think you would be fine to get some sleep. You won't be any good to anyone if you don't get some sleep.
    I'm not sure why you are feeding higher carb food. I think you should be feeding a low carb diet diet and saving the higher carb food for when he drops low.. The best numbers to be in are the blues and the greens....they are the ones that will heal the pancreas.
    I don't know why he is unhappy and cross........do you think he is in any pain at all?
    I am not a Prozinc user so can't really help you with that side of things. I'd ask on the Prozinc page for advice.

20. Jasper Blue and Jay

"I think you should be feeding a low carb diet" I am. He gets the food that is listed in my signature and on top of his SS.

He's underweight, and this dose increase is fairly new, so when he was lower than usual at his AMPS I didn't want to decrease his dosage... so I figured I'd take advantage of the opportunity to give him a bit extra carbs from 1/2 a can of MC food to help him gain a little weight...and also prevent him going too low because he is very sensitive to going lower than usual, especially when it's a fast drop. And then he rebounds, etc. I haven't been able to sleep staying up watching him, and giving him those extra carbs are the only reason I felt safe enough to take a nap this am. Good thing I did, cause he ended up much lower...for him... at his PMPS even with the extra carbs, and since I didn't get to sleep tonight...its a good thing I felt safe enough to take the nap this am.

I have no idea why he is continuing to go down prenadir, post nadir, with extra carbs, etc. It's weird and makes it too unpredictable to just give him insulin and go to sleep. :( Especially since he acts so uncomfortable when his numbers go down, especially when its a quick drop.

Based on how his numbers were tonight WITH extra carbs... had I just gone to sleep and not given him extra carbs...he would have gone hypo. :(

He goes back to the vet in about a week...maybe she'll have some insights.

Thanks so much for the support tonight, last night, it's been a long night! lol ..I really appreciate it.

21. Jasper Blue and Jay

Andd...finally going up enough, late enough... for me to get a nap... geezzz

+10 185.

G'night and thanks again.

22. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

I wish I had seen this. I think I was up all night stressing and testing, too. I understand the fear of going to bed. It's hard for me too. Alice used to sleep next to me and spoon every night. But we had to rearrange everyone's accommodations (I also have 2 more humans, 3 more cats, and a bunny to house).

How're you doing tonight? If I repeat myself or forget what you may have already said, forgive me, I'm just so tired. Hah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.