Goma 4.0

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by G & I, Feb 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G & I

G & I Member

I originally planned on increasing the dose to 4.25u this morning. However, she has been literally all over the board at the current 4.0 with a high two nights ago and this morning at 88 (pm +8). At the moment I am considering leaving things as they are at 4.0 for another cycle or two however would appreciate another set of eyes on this. I thought I had given this dose a chance, but it appears not. Seems capable of bringing her down to a good number. I anticipate another bounce but she also appears to be coming down from these quicker. Would appreciate any additional thoughts.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Djamila likes this.
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

What a lovely dark green number! Yes, leave the dose at 4.0 u for a couple of cycles because that's a significant drop from PS. It could be a bounce ending or you're finally getting some traction at this dose. My guy is one who will lollygag at a dose for days and then take a dive so I know how you feel.

I read your recent SS notes and it's great that she's doing so much better since you've adopted the FDMB way! ;) Are you concerned that she's overweight now? If so you could try scheduled meals of low carb wet food if she'll tolerate it.

Djamila and G & I like this.
  3. G & I

G & I Member

Thank you for the confirmation, I truly appreciate it. I'm a long way from being comfortable with when to change dose. Goma is currently not overweight and has yet to reach her target but I was concerned at how rapidly she has regained all that lost weight. I had thought it would take much more time to bring her up to this level. she is still a tad short of where I would like her, but her overall appearance is significantly improved. I have had her on what I hope is low carb wet food only with the mon petite pate and chicken breast.

Lollygag - fits her to the t. Driving me nuts at times, but it's okay.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

If she still needs to gain weight I don't think you need to restrict her eating patterns. Actually, some underweight cats can have more volatile responses to insulin than cats at a good weight for their size.

Critter Mom and G & I like this.
  5. G & I

G & I Member

She'll love that...(continued no restriction on eating pattern). She eats whenever I put food in front of her. Rarely is there even a teaspoon left and when I push it all together...well that's gone too.

Thanks again for everything.

6. G & I

G & I Member

Again she is all over the board. AMPS of 411...That's a pretty big jump in 4 hours isn't it? Gave 4.00u anyway. Hope she settles soon into a lower area.

7. Kris & Teasel

Not surprising after that green She's a bouncy girl. Stick to the 4 u dose.

Djamila and G & I like this.
  8. Kris & Teasel

Just some perspective for you: you've only been doing this the FDMB way for 2 months and the first few weeks your insulin was probably less potent than is ideal. Goma has several other health issues that might impact her BG levels and she's been very underweight. All things considered the two of you are doing remarkably well. :)

Critter Mom and G & I like this.
  9. G & I

G & I Member

Thanks for helping me keep things in perspective and the morale booster. To be honest, I had forgotten about the expired insulin.

A bit more action again an hour ago local time with a very low bg level. This is two mornings back to back. Not sure what she is trying to tell me -

Thanks again - You've been great and I see you assisting others all the time. Someday maybe I'll be able to do the same...

10. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Just read your note about managing the lower number with low carb food. Great job!!! Looks like it was enough to help her surf instead of spiking her number. She'll likely do that herself since this is pretty low for her. How do you feel about holding the dose still? Normally on lime greens you would reduce, but since she's still pretty high, I think holding it a little longer might be better. It's up to you though, and what you are comfortable doing.

G & I likes this.
  11. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

You'll definitely be able to do the same some day! Even now, you can offer a word of encouragement whenever you feel inclined...that's just as helpful as dosing advice!

Critter Mom, G & I and Djamila like this.
  12. Kris & Teasel

I agree with Djamila. If you're feeling brave stay with the 4 u dose. The lime green was just a hair under dark green.

G & I likes this.
  13. G & I

G & I Member

Thanks for the encouragement. I did hold the dose at 4.00u today. Will monitor and see where she takes me.

Djamila likes this.
  14. G & I

G & I Member

I, of course, agree with you and Djamila....Dose held at 4.00u. Had thought about asking you all about a reduction, but wanted to see once more where she wants to take me. What a crazy ride she's taking me on. But, it is all okay...
    Thank you all so much for monitoring. Gives me a boost just knowing I've got someone looking over my shoulder.

Djamila and Critter Mom like this.
  15. G & I

G & I Member

I’ll do my best to help where I can. Thanks for the confidence.

16. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Looks like she stayed high and flat...not surprising. Classic bounce cycle.

G & I likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.