Gone Ferral

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bustercat, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bustercat

Bustercat Member

DH found a half eaten squirrel in the yard the other day. I figured some hawk must have dropped it, because there is no way Buster can catch a squirrel... he can't even lick his own bottom to clean it! Much to my dismay, we caught Buster in the yard today munching on another squirrel ohmygod_smile

We have been putting him out during the day, and bringing him in at night to sleep, because of his recent litterbox issues. Now, I am not sure we should bring him in at night... who know what he'd be tracking around on the floors. I've got a 2yr old and an 8 month old.

Is there anything that I should be watching for? Could he get sick from eating wild squirrels? I do have him on Clavamox at the moment... it seems to help shrink the masses in his mouth and make him a bit more comfortable. At least the good news in all of this is that Buster's appetite has returned to normal. He is starving... his pmps was 302... His tummy is all distended from his *meal* and he still came in demanding his dinner.

Now that he is going to be sleeping outdoors, could anyone recommend outdoor bedding, or a 'cat-house'? I don't know what else to do.

2. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Hi dear Bustercat's Mom, and of course, you too, extra-sweet Bustercat,

I'm not sure what to say... Well, except, ewwwwwwwww!

Then again, it could be a seasonal thing... Long ago and far away (on the old FDMB Board), Maryon's feral sugar cat Topaz went off the juice after feasting on mice in her backyard in April/May. Kind of like the ultimate low carb, high protein diet... Did I mention ewwwwwwwwww? Turned out to be a good thing for Maryon because Topaz was a holy terror to test and shoot!

As for a cathouse, there are probably several varieties available, should you go in that direction. For bedding, I'm guessing sheets for summer, with something soft or plump underneath... Hopefully, he'll have his whole butt-licking/squirrel-eating/litter-box issues resolved before the weather gets cold... Should he not, you'll probably need to go for a dog Igloo thing, fleece, and some kind of heating pad... You can tell Bustercat it's for cats...

On the bright side, he has his appetite back, right? That's always a good thing!

Have you tried an extra litter box? My Nikki had some behavioral issues when I had this 4-12 second shift freelance gig last fall. After purchasing a bunch of Feeliway and yada yada yada products, a second box really, really helped. Sometimes she used the extra box to poop in and the real one to pee in, and sometimes vice versa... Cats... Sheesh...

Precious babies and toddlers are much larger than squirrels... Gosh, you do have your hands full, don't you? Sigh...

Much love and hope it all works out kind of extra hugs,
    Deb and Nikki (two boxes are purrfect!) -- and Giz, forever whispering in my heart...

3. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

I'd make sure he has had all his shots, esp rabies. Is there any way he would have access to a safe shelter in case he needs it? He sounds like quite a cat! Donna

4. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Do you remove your shoes before walking into your home? If not, you could bring in more than Bustercat would. Putting a diabetic outside is taking a risk of never seeing him again if he should go hypo, get sick with DKA, etc. I also believe coyotes are all around no matter what state you live in and cats are easy dinners. His litter habits should improve in time with regulation also.

5. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Fleas, worms, toxoplasmosis, parasites of all types.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.