? Good bgs but alot of carb...that ok??

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Darnell & Sprocket (GA), Mar 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Darnell & Sprocket (GA) Well-Known Member

Ok. I increased Sprockets dose a small amount last week and he got into more blues right away.
    I went from 2.65u to 2.70u. I use a caliper too so I get same dose as my syringes are horrible with markings so small dose increases are easier too.

When he was at 2.65u dose I had also given some evo cause i wanted to get him up fast at night as he wouldnt eat anymore wet food but it seemed to keep his bgs up in low 300s or high 200s longer.
    So increased dose as I said.

4 nights in a row he has surfed. One night went to 72.
    Great bgs but....
    Issue: end of day. He will only eat so much so I have been giving a higher carb(7-15) each night to get him to surf or or at least not to drop do i could sleep.

So, tonight I reduced to 2.68u.
    He dropped @ 150pts.
    Gave 12 carb now & will test before bed.
    So is this ok?
    He is dka2x and ketone prone and on liver meds for life due to past issues so is this bad to have to feed these higher low carb or medium carb to keep him steady?

Or should I use low carb and go back to 2.65u without the evo?

I am afraid he wont surf if I drop to 2.65u but also afraid too much carb to feed is bad.

Yes its hard to not steer when he mostly surfs at night and I need to sleep too.

And i know he felt weird at the 72(i know thats normal) because he didnt want me to leave his side. He is not a cat that sits with you often and he sat next to me with his paw on my arm to make me stay till he was in 100s again. 45mins later when he got down i tested and he was at 114. Felt better.

I think I wrote it all.
    Ask questions please.

2. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Did you retest that 72? Mostly I see a cat that gets under renal threshold for a bit and only occasionally blues during the day. That lone green seems out of place. Neko liked to go lower at night and bounce during the day for the longest time. I never found a solution for it. Sorry.

The last three days I see three different doses. I would vote for a dose that gets him to spend more time in blues and less time above renal threshold.

4. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Ya but so far i have to feed alot of carb at night. Is that ok?

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

What do you mean by "a lot of carbs"? If it's medium carb food to keep him safe, that's OK.

6. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Yes medium carb. Have had to open 2 small cans in one night. He will usually eat half n other cat eats half. But sometimes its more than half.
    I decided to try the 2.65u again without the evo this time.

7. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes Darnell, IMHO, it's fine to feed Sprocket that higher carb at night. He's a bit weird at night as he likes to actually sleep like KT did rather than get up to eat/roam/do naughty things. The low carbs are to allow closer to normal bg numbers...

8. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Thanks.
    Ya he is up all day with me. He is very curious watching me, following me around in daytime. Little naps then sleeps after dinner/shot time.
    His play/naughty time is after AMPS meal n shot as his squirrel tv outside is active to watch.
    He didnt surf last night. I thought meter was wrong. He surfed today instead but he played then snuck her low carb food. He about filled himself up on LC but kept dropping. Luckily I had some 12/14? Carb open and gave a small amount of that to keep him steady until he climbed back up. He was snoozing then. Its tiring to him when he surfs.
    Now I will have to give a little higher carb for dinner cause he already had like 8-9oz today after sneaking extra after playing.
    Yet he may bounce so will have to adjust tomorrow as I have to leave for a few hours.
    At least he did one daytime surf for me so I know what I can give if he does again tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.