Good morning in Chicago from Paige (me) and River (kitty)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Paigeworthy, Oct 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Hi everyone, I'm so happy I found this board (old school)!!

I'm Paige, mom to two cats, Brixie and River. We live in Chicago's Lincoln Square neighborhood with my husband and cat dad, Mark.

River gave us quite the scare over the weekend by going into full-blown DKA before she was finally diagnosed with diabetes mellitus.

We took both cats to the vet in the past month. River had lost a LOT of weight, but we honestly believed that Brixie was simply eating her food. Brix is an 8/10 on the chonk spectrum. The vet recommended a wet diet for both, and that's when everything started to go downhill.

Like Sybil in the most recent thread, I had also noticed extreme thirst and massive urine clumps in the litter box for several weeks but didn't put two and two together because feline diabetes has literally never been on my radar.

River is a very finicky eater — I know, what else is new? — and we tried probably 20 different wet foods, none of which she really liked. She would gobble some up one day, then the next day we'd give it to her and she wouldn't touch it. She lost another pound before I finally threw in the towel and took her back to the vet for the recommended blood testing and urinalysis.

River was admitted almost immediately and spent two and a half days in the veterinary ER hooked up to fluid and insulin drip — we had to bring her home before they could establish her curve, for financial reasons. (I'm down $4,000 and counting, ugh.)

I need very badly to educate myself because I can't afford to keep taking her to the vet every time she needs her blood glucose checked. Neither of the vets mentioned anything about testing at home, which worries me. I'll get into the more specific threads with a bunch of questions soon. Anyway, HI!

Here we are over the weekend:

[​IMG]

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Glad you found us. There’s a wealth of info on this site and tons of tips to help make it easier on you emotionally and financially. Come to the Main health forum to ask all your questions. Hope to see you there!

Paigeworthy and Laura bb like this.
  3. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Cute kitty!

4. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Thank you!! She is a sweet, wonderful girl.

Laura bb likes this.
  5. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Thank you, Sharon!! I'm popping into Main very soon.

Sharon14 likes this.
  6. Coco’s Momma

Coco’s Momma Member

Welcome Paige! You've found a great place for answers and support on this diabetic journey with River.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.