? Good news, bad news, and a dosing question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by shelaghc, Nov 30, 2017.

  1. shelaghc

    shelaghc Member

    Jun 28, 2017
    Good news - Jester's BG has been below 300 for four pre-shot tests over the past two days; 155 yesterday morning, 168 yesterday evening, 203 this morning, and 178 this evening - and I was over 90 minutes late on that last test.

    Bad news - Jester has been nibbling instead of actual eating all day. And this evening, while he seemed to want to eat, none of the low carb foods I offered tempted him at all. I tried for over half an hour and he barely touched anything.
    I finally, out of desperation, I pulled out some Friskies Shreds. One of my other cats loves them and I always have some on hand.
    He munched on that immediately, but still not a lot. Then he bolted for the litterbox and promptly had diarrhea - I cleaned the mess off his tail and he seemed to have lost his appetite.

    Now the dosing question. I have to leave for work by about 8:00AM. Jester hasn't really eaten enough that I'm comfortable giving him his PM insulin.
    If he doesn't eat more and I can't get it in him before before 11:30PM (eastern time), there may not be eight hours between giving him one shot and another in the morning.

    My gut tells me to just let him go without the shot tonight.
    Can others weigh in on this to help me feel better about that decision?
  2. JanetNJ

    JanetNJ Well-Known Member

    Jun 8, 2016
    It's OK to skip or you could give a 0.25-0.5 dose.
    shelaghc likes this.
  3. shelaghc

    shelaghc Member

    Jun 28, 2017

    Jester finally started to eat at about 10:30PM, but only higher carb stuff. He ate about a full can of Friskies shreds and I decided to give him his current full 1U at 11:00PM because I can come home from lunch at Noon, test him as his AMPS and give him his 1U then.

    Eight hours after the shot (7AM), for what would normally have been his AMPS, his BG was 144. And he's still just eating the higher carb shreds.

    His weight loss at being unregulated is scaring the crap out of me, quite frankly. And I'd just rather he eats a full meal than worry about the carb levels for now.
  4. FurBabiesMama

    FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

    Jul 6, 2017
    With Prozinc, you have about an hour of 'play' time on giving the dose. If you get past that, it is probably more appropriate to just skip the dose so you stay on schedule. So, does this mean 11am/pm is your new shot time going forward or do you have a plan to get back on the other times?
  5. shelaghc

    shelaghc Member

    Jun 28, 2017
    I'll decide when I get his BG during my lunch break. If his numbers are okay, I'll skip and just give him his regular shot tonight.

    After all those carbs last night, I really wanted him to have his insulin overnight.
  6. shelaghc

    shelaghc Member

    Jun 28, 2017
    BG 215 at 12:30. I'm fine with no shot right now.

    Especially since he's still not eating much. I had to switch him back to Friskies Filets again. He hasn't eaten those in several weeks.

    This is similar to when he was just going into his brief remission. He stopped eating almost completely for about a week and a half until I had to syringe feed him.

    The good thing is that he's still eating *something* so far.

    I hate him getting back into the mid-range carb habit again, but it's better than him not eating at all.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017

Share This Page