Good Vet in the Barrie, ON area?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by purrman1, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. purrman1

purrman1 New Member

Hi!
    My name is Krista....my kitty 17 yr old Sumo was diagnosed Summer of 2014 and is on Prozinc. We recently moved from Richmond Hill to Barrie, ON and are looking for a good vet in the area. I had thought about staying with our vet in Richmond Hill, but the stress of the move and hour drive really took a toll on our old man - so I have decided to look for someone local. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! I have found that a number of vets do not have a great deal of experience with feline diabetes. Our old vet didn't have a lot of experience, but she was very open to any info (usually from this message board) that I brought into her, which I appreciated!

Thanks so much for any info you can give.....I really appreciate it!

Krista

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Krista, Welcome to the board from a fellow Southern Ontarian. :D

Finding a vet with a lot of experience with feline diabetes is not always easy even in large centres so the best most of us can do is find a vet who communicates well and is willing to listen to and consider information we provide them and work with us. I also find a willingness to do a little of their own research when needed is also invaluable.

One of our members (BJM) put together a great list of questions to use for interviewing vets. Here is a link to that document.

I'm in Etobicoke and lucked out finding a vet I would recommend to anyone in a heartbeat but that would still be too long a trip for you and Sumo.

There is a member in the Barrie area and I'll tag him. I know he's checked out a number of clinics lately because of a stubborn respiratory problem his sugar kitty is dealing with.

@Bonzo Can you provide Krista with your findings on vets in your area? Seems you share a common goal!:)

4. Bonzo

Bonzo Member

I'll put something together when I get back home from shopping

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  5. purrman1

purrman1 New Member

Thanks so much for all the info everyone! And thanks in advance Bonzo for your help! I really appreciate it! This website has been SO helpful over the past year for our kitty!
    Thanks again!

6. Bonzo

Bonzo Member

Krista
    I sent a boatload of info through the messaging option that they call "Conversation" In it I discuss some local options that I am familiar with and warns of a few pitfalls. You should have received a notification via email.

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You might use your local version of Google and do a search for "veterinarian near [address]" and enter in your full address. There should be a list, a map so you can see how close they are, plus there may be some online reviews, too.

8. Bonzo

Bonzo Member

There is no shortage of vets in the area, they're coming out of the woodwork. Banting and Best came from a town 20 miles away yet the understanding of diabetes isn't foremost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.