Goodbye Zeus...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by oglsmm, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oglsmm

oglsmm New Member

I haven't posted all that much here over the years, however this forum and community has been an excellent support for ourselves and Zeus.

On April 28th 2010 at 3:45pm I finally had to have my best friend Zeus to sleep. We only had him for 5 years (We have no idea how old he actually was). He quickly showed me he had the most personality of any cat I have ever had. He was our first feline family member of our own. I am still having such a hard time dealing with this... I miss him so much as he was a constant companion. He was getting worse everyday, and for his last two weeks he had even given up trying to get into the litter box. He couldn't see nor smell however his hearing was excellent. His legs and paws, were difficult to use for fine motor control. (He loved walking, but when he sat down to bath himself he would fall over, he couldn't balance himself on your lap, nor chairs, at the end we couldn't even put him in his favorite chair as he would fall out.) His abdomen was also very tender and sore, and it was worse everyday...

Our vet didn't have any real answers, and we didn't have anymore money to spend... we had already spent over a thousand on tests in the previous months... (His downhill slide was about three months from totally fine to the end.)

I just feel like I killed my best friend and I will not forgive myself for it...

I just wanted to thank the community for the support it has been and to attach a few pictures so that other people remember him even if it is for just a few minutes...

http://imgur.com/epTfG.jpg
    http://imgur.com/9XS78.jpg

Goodbye Zeus... We will always remember you and love you may you Rest in Peace and I hope I see you again.

2. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry for your loss. Sending many many cyber hugs to you. He was a handsome boy. Its so hard not to feel guilty but you DID do everything you could for him, including setting him free. Zeus is flying free now, whole and healthy over the Rainbow Bridge. rb_icon

wings_cat

3. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss. What a handsome boy.
    Do not be so hard on yourself. You know in your heart you did everything for him and he is now free over the bridge, looking down at you and sending his love.

4. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

Fly free, Zeus.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Zeus was so lucky to have had you.

5. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

I am so very sorry for your loss.
    wings_cat

6. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Awww what a gorgeous guy! Please don't be hard on yourself. I have no doubt it was his time to go. Sometimes tests & all that can't figure out what's going on in that little body of theirs. The same thing happened to Cuddles. I kind of feel like I was cheated, because her bloodwork & tests were normal. But she kept losing weight, and failing. The vet felt a mass in her abdomen, but even a needle aspirate didn't show much. (She was even on sub-q fluids for CRF, but bloodwork showed her kidneys were doing great!) She just kept going downhill, until I saw her trying to walk across the floor one night, and was collapsing. I knew her body was shutting down, and it was the kindest thing I could do, to let her go. It kind of sounds the same type of situation with Zeus. You don't know exactly what was going on, but you both knew it was time.

Fly free Zeus.. I have no doubt he was as loved as he ever was before he had to leave.

(((HUGS))) & tears,
    -Steph

7. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

You did right by your boy. We do everything we can but when the pain wont go away we have to relieve them from it. Trading a tired sick body for a healthy free spirit. Land softly little one until you meet again.

Jeanne

8. Mary and Jolly

Mary and Jolly Member

I am so sorry for the pain you are feeling right now. Losing a beloved pet is not easy. I think it took me almost a year and adopting another cat to actually feel some healing.

You did a very brave and unselfish act by putting Zeus to sleep. If he could have talked he would said that's what he wanted. It was your final loving gift to him. You ended his suffering and he doesn't feel anymore pain. Don't be so hard on yourself and focus on the good memories you have of your little buddy.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

Fly free Zeus! rb_icon

9. oglsmm

oglsmm New Member

Thank you for all the kind words... I will never forget him an I know logically it was the right thing to do, but emotionally I don't accept it. If we had been able to do more tests maybe they could of cured him... I will never know I suppose. It was just so hard because he was fine, and then he went downhill so fast. We were expecting to have him in our lives for 5-10 more years, and just as suddenly he is gone... it's just so hard.

We buried him in our yard and we are going to put a Lilac bush on top... That way he will still be with us always.

10. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Zeus was indeed a very handsome boy.

We lost a kitty in May several years ago; the lilacs were in bloom.

Now, every time I smell lilacs I think of and remember our little Smokey Josephine.

I will also now remember your Zeus....lilac time.

May all your wonderful memories of him comfort you...

...'til you meet again.

11. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

You didn't kill your best friend......you gave your best friend a release from all his pain and inability to function.......that is love. My deepest sympathy on the loss of your beloved Zeus. He was a beautiful kitty.
    [​IMG]

12. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

so very sorry for your loss. Zeus was very lucky to have you to care for him and to have the courage to let him go when he needed free of his worn out body.

Peace Zeus. rb_icon

take care,

13. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

I am so very sorry for your loss. Please don't beat yourself up over letting him go - you did not kill him, you set him free.

Hugz,

~M

14. Lee and Tida (GA)

Lee and Tida (GA) Member

I know the pain you are feeling right now. I just went through that in February with my sweet Tida. I had her since she was a tiny little kitten for almost 18 years. I said I would never put her to sleep. But the week that preceded me finally doing it was just awful. She was suffering...it was obvious. I finally made the decision....It was the hardest thing I had ever done. Our kitties cannot live forever, even though we want them to.

Don't beat yourself up....you did the right thing. You were a great momma, and he knew that. You did everything you could. Fly free sweet Zeus. He sure was a pretty boy.

15. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry for your loss. Zeus was a beautiful in body as he was, and still is, in soul. Thank you for giving him the gift of peace. Fly free and land softly Zeus. wings_cat

16. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

And what a handsone addition to the Rainbow Bridge crew...

So sorry for your loss and that you had to witness what you did.
    You did what you had to do for him because you cared deeply. It's the hardsest thing we have to do...

Fly Freeeeee Zeus!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.