GoodRx and Lantus pens at Walmart--anyone?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by grapey, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grapey

grapey Member

Hi everyone,
    I haven't been on here in a while because my kitty is overall doing well, thank God! But I wanted to get some thoughts on this.

I've been buying individual Lantus pens at Sam's Club (USA) for about $80/$90 per pen. But today, I learned about the website GoodRx. And through them, you can get a five-pack of Lantus pens for about $278--or $55 per pen.

My friend is a pharmacist for Walmart, and she said Walmart (at least in Colorado) is allowing all pharmacies to break up the pack and sell a single pen at a time. I asked her if that meant I could present the GoodRx coupon and get a 55-buck pen, and she said yes!

Has anyone else done this? Thanks!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Most of us are buying our Lantus from Canada because the price is so crazy in the states.

I think your friend is partially right but mostly wrong....individual WalMart's can choose to break up a pack of pens and sell just one, but most won't.

Since humans use it so much faster, it just wouldn't make financial sense for them to keep breaking open boxes

3. grapey

grapey Member

Thanks for responding. Wow, that Canadian pharmacy has some amazing prices--but do the pens stay cold while en route to the US? What if they don't make it through customs?

4. Chris & China (GA)

I originally "found" Marks several years ago and started spreading the word.....hundreds (if not thousands) of people have used them since and I have yet to hear one complaint.

They've been doing this for many years....shipping insulin into the US

They very rarely have trouble with customs.....in all the people I've heard from, I know of one whose package was opened by customs but they still received the insulin.

They give you a tracking number so you can watch it move through the postal system.....and they also use a medical grade ice pack and special insulated package to help keep it cool (you can also purchase an extra layer of protection in the form of a small cooler for $10)

In each package they also include a little thing that shows if the inside of the package goes over 80 degrees at any time (and for how long it stayed above 80)

They show how they ship here:

5. grapey

grapey Member

Thanks! I will look in to this.

6. Chris & China (GA)

They really are excellent and their customer service is off the charts.

Last time I re-ordered it was late on a Monday and my insulin was delivered Friday morning

7. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

When I called about using the GoodRx price, I was told it could not be used for an animal. I think each store can have their own policy on that.

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I just went to GoodRx and for Lantus (and some other meds too) there is a restriction that the price does not apply to Lantus (both pens and vial):
    I agree to the following statements:

• I am not filling a prescription for a pet
    • I have been prescribed this drug or am a caregiver of someone taking this drug
    • I am a resident of the United States or Puerto Rico
    • I am not currently eligible for prescription coverage from any state or federally funded programs, including but not limited to Medicare, Medicaid, VA, DoD, or Tricare
    If you meet the requirements you may access the discount using the button below.

Thus, it is not really a store issue. Seems like a manufacturer restriction

9. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I knew GoodRx did me no good, but I was confusing it with SingleCare which is the one where their fine print says it works for animals, but the local store told me they do not accept it for animals. (This was Levemir.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.