Gorgeous George

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Weebs, Feb 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weebs

Weebs New Member

Hello, thank you for accepting me into your group, I was directed here from the Facebook page 'Welcome to feline diabetes facebook group' My cat George aged 14 was diagnosed with diabetes 3 weeks ago after losing a lot of weight suddenly and drinking excessive amounts of water. He is having twice daily insulin shots which has bought his insulin levels down from 6.6 to 3, I live in france and understand that they measure differently here than the rest of the world, my vet says that normal is between 0.5 and 1.5 and he would like to get george down to at least 2, he had put George on Royal canin dried biscuits but George hated them and didn't eat much for the last few weeks, last night on the FB page I was told i could feed George with Friskies terrine from the super market instead of the biscuits which aren't good for him anyway. He is eating the food with gusto for the first time and it's lovely to see.
    My husband and I have hit hard times ( an understatement actually) My husband was a builder and unfortunately last November he slipped in the wet, off of a roof he was reroofing and landed stood up on one foot shattering the bones and snapping the tendons and ligaments and was hospitalised for a week and has been on crutches ever since and is unable to do anything for himself. Because he was self employed he doesn't qualify for sickness benefit and we have no income at present,not since last November, we go to a food bank once a fortnight and we are given a box of random food, usually past it's sell by date, we're not complaining! but we get nothing for our animals, we have 13 rescued house cats, two rabbits 5 guinea pigs and 7 chickens. So far our friends have been coming over with some tinned food or veggies from their gardens which has kept us going and one friend ordered us some food for the animals on line and had it delivered without telling us :) All of our friends have been fantastic in what has been the most trying time of our lives. But we can't expect them to keep doing it as most of them just have their state pensions. We don't know what our futures will be, we don't even know if my husband will be able to walk properly again and he was also forced to liquidate his business in January as the insurers for his building business refused to stop taking the money ( 900 Euros every 12 weeks) even though my husband can't possibly work. George's vet bills are building up but our vet has said we can pay them when we get an income. so now that we have cancelled the Royal canin food, we have the insulin, hypodermic needles and the weekly blood tests. People have suggested that we buy a kit and do the tests at home, which is a great idea of course but without an income, impossible at the moment.

I'm sorry I seem to have rambled on a bit, I was only going to introduce ourselves. :D
    This is our story, you probably hear ones just like it every day! lol

Jenny and Kitkat likes this.
  2. Weebs

Weebs New Member

This is George :cat:

Attached Files:

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and handsome George! I'm sorry that you're having such a hard time right now. We can certainly help you with George and there are many tips available here to save you money. Please repost on the main health forum so more people see it.

There are a few things I'd like you to clarify:
    • the type of insulin you are using and what dose you are giving George
    • what you mean by: twice daily insulin shots which has bought his insulin levels down from 6.6 to 3
    • I understand the units you're using for blood glucose because we use the same here in Canada - mmol/L - but I don't understand: my vet says that normal is between 0.5 and 1.5 and he would like to get george down to at least 2.
    Friskies pates (terrines?) from the supermarket are fine to feed a diabetic cat and they're economical. Don't feed any of the gravy/sauce types though because they're too high in carbs. You don't need to pay your vet to do blood glucose testing. It's easily learned so you can do it at home. Many people use human meters which often are free when you buy test strips and the strips are fairly cheap and available at human pharmacies. I'm not familiar with what types of meters are available in Europe but @Gill & George might be able to help. She lives in Spain.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    Diana&Tom likes this.
  4. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Morning Gorgeous George and mum.

First I want to address something in your post about units, as far as I know there are two units of measurement

Mmol and mg/DL

In a Europe and Canada( not Spain for some reason) they use mg/DL and as far as I know that is what they use in France. Here in Spain we use mmol and that's also what they use in us.

The normal range for a healthy cat is 50-100 mg/dl( 0.5 to 1 g/dl) on a human meter, the range is a little higher when using a pet meter(68 being the lower value). I am really very concerned about the ranges you have been given by your vet as a target, they are too low (assuming they are mg/DL, I've searched online and can't find any reference to special French units)

I've sent a message to a member who lives in France for some info.

Do you have any diabetic friends? If you do it might be worth speaking to them and asking them if they could help you out with some test strips and a spare human meter, if like here in Spain they may get them free on the health service, that would be the most cost effective/ not to mention accurate way of getting George's BG monitored.

What insulin are you using? How many units?

Changing from the diabetic dry to the LC wet can have a massive impact on George's BG. The diabetic dry is high in carbs, so changing to a LC wet can result in the dose being too much especially if you changed the food overnight.

ETA
    Thanks to Sophie we can rest easy, the range your vet is quoting is fine, sorry if I worried you. I've put the bit in italics that doesn't apply.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  5. Capoo

Capoo Member

Hi Gill,

In France, we use another unit g/L. To convert g/L into mg/dL, you just need to multiply the French number by 100.

@Weebs : welcome here! This is Sophie, and I saw on FB that you found some Friskies Terrines : well done!

6. Gill & George

Thanks I had a quick look this morning and had a bit of a panic.

7. Gill & George

Sophie, have you been able to suggest an economical BG monitor/strips?

Here in Spain BG tests strips were very expensive about 1€ a strip, though when I went to the pharmacy they did give me a monitor free with 10 strips, anyway I get mine online from the UK 250 strips for about 56 euros, they deliver all over the world.

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

8. Capoo

Capoo Member

Yes, Gill, I have suggested some economical meters, but it seems that Weebs has really big problems of money, and cannot afford one of them at the moment.
    I have also suggested her to ask to her vet to lend her a meter, but I don't know whether she has asked her vet or not.

Gill & George likes this.
  9. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Hi Linda, well done for finding your way here! I know you said on Facebook that you were worried about using this site but really, it's not difficult at all once you have familiarised yourself with it. Spend some time looking around and you'll find it is really straightforward.

As you can see, there are people here who want to help, and the advantage of this message board over the Facebook pages is that it is easy to refer back to your threads, as well as look up all kinds of information regarding feline diabetes.... every owner has a lot of questions to start with so this really is a brilliant resource. Of course, use the Facebook page as well for quick or urgent questions - there is sometimes more traffic there - ideally, combine the two!

At some point you might like to look at the threads on the Main Health forum here, where we direct people after a few introductory posts - it is is the "busiest" of the forums and you will find that many people have the same questions as you and the replies to those will help you also... you will also get more answers to your own threads on that forum. Sophie (Capoo) is probably best placed to help you with "local" info, but otherwise all of us around the world have similar backgrounds in treating FD and will support you as much as we can.

I hope you will become part of this community - it really is a lifesaver for FD caregivers, a wonderful resource on so many levels. No question is too small or too silly, so post any time you are unsure of anything and you will get support.

One more thing - if you get to know people here and want to ask a certain person a question, you can tag them (much like Facebook) by typing the @ symbol before their user name, and they will receive an alert and can go straight to your message. So I am tagging you now... @Weebs

Wishing you the best of luck!

Diana

10. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello Weebs and your lovely ginger boy George, I'm glad you found your way to this forum. You will get a lot of advice and help from very knowledgeable members. @Gill & George tagged me as I too live in France (about an hour north of Bordeaux). Sorry to hear about all your troubles, it must be a very worrying time for you. If you decide to home test George (much cheaper than having the vet do it), I could let you have Crystal's old human meter, but unfortunately I don't have any strips that are still in date. They cost about 36 euros for 100 from the pharmacy but you can get them cheaper on E-bay. Anyway, if you want it, or if I can help with any info, just send me a PM (private message under "Conversations" which will also appear on my email) as I don't check the forum daily now.
    best regards
    Suki

Weebs and Diana&Tom like this.
  11. Kris & Teasel

Actually, Gill, we use mmol/L here in Canada too.

12. Kris & Teasel

Thanks for stepping in, Sophie. I had no idea about BG measurement units in France.

Capoo likes this.
  13. Gill & George

doh,:oops: in my defense I hadn't had my coffee and was a little bit muddled, got my mmol and mg/dl all ar** about t** we use mg/dl here not mmol.:rolleyes:

14. Gill & George

@Weebs I've sent you a pm, I have a spare meter/insulin and strips that I could send you to help get you started home testing and help keep the costs down.

15. Kris & Teasel

:bighug:

16. Diana&Tom

What lovely responses! So glad you came here, Linda!

17. Weebs

Weebs New Member

Thank you everybody for your replies, I'm still trying toprocess everything! I am very new to diabetes and don't know anything about it before George was diagnosed. I have managed to borrow a human test kit from my friend who's maother had diabetes before she passed away. but as yet, I have no idea how to use it, I am going to investigate it tomorrow. George is still tucking in to his Friskies and is even meowing for it :D
    I want to say at this point that maths is not my strong point so there's a LOT of things here that I can't get my head around at the moment but I will be doing my best for George because he is my special boy and I adore him :cat:.
    I am going to have a look around the site tomorrow as it is late here now and I have to get upearly to go and see a social worker who may be able to help us with our situation. I'm not holding my breath though ( I might suffocate! ) , so I'll check back in tomorrow and if anyone can in the mean time explain tome on how and where I'll be doing Georges blood test I will be eternally grateful! :D

18. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

HERE is a compilation of information/videos about testing for you to look over at your leisure. So glad you got a meter. It will make keeping George safe and healthy so much easier. Fingers crossed for you that the social worker can offer you some relief! :bighug:

19. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

@Weebs .....I'm thrilled to hear you got a meter!! That's great!!

DCIN is still willing to help out.....They've even said they would send you the money to buy the supplies you need....all you'd have to do is fill out the intake form (which asks very basic questions like your name, address, etc...your vets name/address and a short explanation of why you need help....Just saying "My husband is unable to work and I must care for him" is enough!!

If you still need help filling out the Compassionate Assistance Program paperwork, feel free to send me a message, either here or on Facebook. To send a message here, just click on my name and choose "Start Conversation".....To contact me on Facebook (which is probably faster) just send me a message ....Here's my Facebook account

Once you buy the supplies, you can take a picture of the receipt and submit it back to DCIN!

George is adorable!! I have a soft spot for orange kitties.....my first kitten was an orange tabby (way back in the stone age when I was 7)

20. Diana&Tom

Sounds like things are looking up, Linda - hope the social worker can do something to help you, and DCIN will pay for George's diabetic supplies, wow!

Meanwhile, a couple of things - as George is now eating wet food after previously eating the vet's recommended dry, this might be lowering his BGs (blood sugar numbers) so it's important to start testing as soon as possible to ensure his BG is at a safe number to give insulin. When you're up and running with your testing kit you should test George before each insulin shot, and when you can, you can test more frequently during the cycle to produce a "curve" to show how the insulin is working during that time. This will save money on vet's bills for sure.

OK so for home testing - look at the link a couple of posts up from MrWorfmen's Mom - another Linda, there are several here - and get your head round the basics. It really isn't difficult, it's just a knack! It would be good to familarise yourself with the kit you have... that's the meter itself, lancets (which you use to prick a cat's ear to get a small sample of blood) and test strips, which you use to touch into the blood and then place into the meter... which then gives you a blood glucose reading.

I strongly suggest that you practise this on yourself a few times (just prick your finger for blood) and you will get the idea very quickly, and then you can move on to George's ear. There are many hints and tips to make this easier, you will find your own method and you can look on the board here to see how others do it. When you've got your head round this you are a huge step forward to managing George's diabetes! It will be important to keep a record of his BGs so we can analyse what's going on and how the insulin dose is working, but that is probably for another day...right now your "lesson" is to practise with the meter and look at how to get blood from George.

Feline diabetes really is very manageable and we've all been where you are... many people aren't great with numbers and technical stuff (I'm certainly not) but others are, and we work together here because we all want the best for everyone's kitties. Stay positive and hopefully you will soon have George on the road to feeling better.

Diana

21. Weebs

Weebs New Member

Hi Diana & Tom, I did as you said and applied to the DCIN but couldn't find their link to upload Georges Vet bill or his photo, it kept going to a blank page each time I clicked on it.
    Also I am having a LOT of trouble understanding everything everyone is is talking about as they use abbreviations for everything which I have no idea whatsoever what they are talking about....I have no former connections with diabetes in people or animals and they might as well be speaking dutch to me....I feel like 'The Simpson's' dog! lol I just see their mouths moving but can't make out the words! :confused:

22. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

@Chris & China - can you help Weebs out please. She is having a problem uploading the vet bill and photo for George.
    @ Weebs can you be more specific about where or what abbreviations you are asking about? I know there is some "lingo" used around the board but I don't see any of it in this thread. Perhaps you came across it on other threads? If you can clarify we can help you out.

23. Weebs

Weebs New Member

I'm sorry, I'm probably just being an idiot but some of the abbreviations that I've seen and don't know what they mean are; LC , BG, mmol and mg/dl all ar** about t** we use mg/dl here not mmol .....I'm very stressed in my own life at the moment let alone trying to deal with poor Georges little life too. I have a problem with my memory because I have ADHD and this is one of my main problems, life is tough for me at the best of times ! :confused:

24. Kris & Teasel

LC - low carb (as in food)
    BG - blood glucose
    mmol/L - units for BG In Canada, Europe, etc.
    mg/dL - units for BG in USA (divide by 18 to convert to mmol/L)

Weebs and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  25. Chris & China (GA)

It would help if she'd contact me directly

She should go ahead and submit the application without the pictures and then send the pictures in an email to intake@dcin.info

@Weebs .....if you still have trouble, if you could send me your email addy, I'll have someone email you directly to help you

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  26. Chris & China (GA)

@Weebs .....You've been approved for help from DCIN

Jennifer will be in contact with you....Since you're in France and we can't ship supplies directly, you should find out how much stuff is going to cost and DCIN will arrange to send you the money to buy it.

After you buy it, you can submit your receipts back to DCIN

27. Diana&Tom

We understand the difficulties, Linda. Take things one step at a time and if necessary would it help to print these messages out and highlight with a brightly coloured pen the bits you want to remember, like abbreviations? It IS confusing at first but once you've got your head round a few basics it will click into place. Hang in there!

Diana

28. Weebs

Weebs New Member

Hi Diana, thank you for your suggestions, I did submit the initial application and then tried to do it by email but it didn't work. I will send the pictures by email now, thank you. x

29. Weebs

Weebs New Member

Thank you Chris & China

30. Weebs

Weebs New Member

First of all I must say,, I've never used a site like this except fb, secondly I don't have any idea what and eddy is or how to go about email or being emailed by someone... I realise that for most people these things are a doddle and i am actually the same way about cooking, thinking 'but that's easy!, why can't they do that!' :D

I can't begin to tell you just how difficult my life is at the moment, I can't print anything out because I have no printer ink or funds to buy any. I find typing difficult because i have snapped a tendon in my thumb doing all the jobs my husband would normally do that he can't because he is on crutches. we have wood central heating and I bring in about 150 kgs a day to heat out house and the wood shed is over 100 meters from the house. H ave 3 herniated discs and a re-occuring heel fracture and reumatoid arthritis which I am having injections in my ankle and knee joints and should be resting them. I cook, clean, look after, and clean out all of our animals (28 of them altogether) and my husband, as well as dealing daily with, the French burocracy, trying to get some kind of financial help, and all the paperwork and phone calls and also friends and neighbours, people who are trying to help us, I am contstantly writing thank you notes while trying to invent things to eat out of the out of date food that the food bank gives us. I think that actually, I am totally over loaded My husband also has rheumatoid arthritis and has a weekly injjection to keep it in remission but his is a type of chemotherapy shot and so his resistance is so very low to infections, if he gets ill, he gets really, really ill, he also has daily injections to stop blood clots because he recently had a heart attack, he is only 51. I really want to help George because I love him to death but I'm not sure I can do all of this on top of everything else. :'(

31. Diana&Tom

You are overloaded, Linda, and we hear what you're saying. It's hard to suggest a course of action for you that doesn't seem like more pressure, but if I had one single suggestion to make it could be this: put aside a certain period of time per day to devote yourself to what you need to do for George... could be just half an hour to read a few things here. Then go and attend to some other stuff, and come back here for another half an hour at a time to suit you. This way you are almost making an "appointment" to learn about feline diabetes, and gradually it won't seem such a mountain to climb.

In a very few words, you need to understand how insulin works and that the dose must be accurate - not too much or too little. The way to gauge that is by testing George's blood with your meter, lancets and strips to get a blood glucose reading. When you are able to do that you will have climbed a huge hurdle... you can tell us here what your readings are and people with a lot of experience can help you to judge if the dose is ok or needs adjusting.

If you really are finding it is too much, do talk to your vet - tell them that George is now eating wet food and ask if his insulin dose might need adjusting. Perhaps the vet could show you how to use the meter and get a blood test from George? That really would be a huge step forward.

Please don't make yourself ill over this... if you can hang in there and sort out the basics, that's the main thing, and there is so much support on this board that you are never alone.

Hugs to you!
    Diana

Weebs and Kris & Teasel like this.
  32. Weebs

Weebs New Member

I have a vets appointment tomorrow afternoon with George, I will take the meter with me and ask him to explain what I need to know and whether we should adjust Georges insulin. thanks for your kind response xx

33. Diana&Tom

Yes, do that, Linda, and let us know how you get on. Good luck!

34. Weebs

Weebs New Member

HELLO! to everyone who has been following this thread, today is a GOOD day! :joyful:

George went to the vets for his insulin level test, I took along the kit my friend has lent me and the Vet used ours to show me how to do it, So now I know, BUT the best bit was that George is getting better every day, his level is now 1.8 in France normal is 0.5 to 1.5 so he is only .3 above normal! :) The vet also said he really didn't expect George to respond so well when he went there 3 and a half weeks ago, his level was then 6.6 so he said if it gets lower we will reduce his insulin injections , so today I have breathed a sigh of relief!

Thank you to all of you who have helped me xxxxx

35. Diana&Tom

Wow! So pleased to hear you sounding more positive, Linda, and the great news about George's blood glucose level. I still haven't got my head round how to translate French numbers into international numbers, but if the vet says he is doing well, that's brilliant.

Note that this improvement MAY be due partly to the fact that George is now eating wet food - as you know with human nutrition, there are less carbohydrates in "proper" food than in the heavily refined processed foods, and that is why blood glucose can drop considerably on a better diet. Vets to like to prescribe prescription dry food but they are plain WRONG!

I'm glad to see also that the vet showed you how to use the meter - have a practise with it on yourself (just prick your finger and get a drop of blood) and then try on George's ear. There are techniques to help with this... it's a knack but if you are committed to George's health, which you are, you will pick this up just fine. Ideally, you should be testing him before each insulin shot to be sure his number is high enough to warrant a dose of insulin. When you are able to, post some of his results here for us to see.. just so we can be sure that you're ok.

Anyway - well done, this is all great! Maybe next time you post, you could start a new thread on the Main Health forum - posts there are seen by more people so if you have any questions you should get more replies. If you can do that (start a new post on Health), you or one of us could link to this thread in the Intro forum so everyone can read the background.

Now go and cuddle George and celebrate!

Diana

Dyana and Weebs like this.
  36. Gill & George

Multiply by 100 then divide by 18 to get UK units.
    So 1.8g/DL is 10 mmol in UK money;)
    180 mg/DL being what most folk use here.

37. Diana&Tom

Thanks Gill. So 1.8, or 10 as I would call it, is ok in itself, although we don't know when in the cycle this was... hopefully Linda will do a few tests now to fill in a few blanks.

Gill & George likes this.
  38. Gill & George

True, but I would bear in mind as well that the number obtained at the vet surgery could be inflated, a lot of kitties blood glucose (BG) runs higher due to stress when they get tested at the vet.

For example, my George, tested 80mgdl (that's 8 in French numbers) at home before vet visit, and 150mgDL (15 in French numbers)

So though the results at the vet are great, @Weebs I really would recommend you start doing some spot tests at home, now you know how, because his blood glucose may be running lower than the vets results lead you to believe, and we don't want him too low, below 0.5 on your French meter is the point where you must take action, (ie give him some glucose, honey to bring his numbers up to avoid him dropping to low and having a hypo) When you test keep a diary, of what time you gave insulin and what time you got the spot check, and now you have the skills, always check his level before giving insulin, to make sure he is safe to shoot.

It really is great that his levels are so good, I'm sure the food change to the low carbohydrate wet food has helped with that.

I think you should read this info (click on the blue text) How to Treat Hypos, they can kill
    I don't mean to scare you, just think that forewarned is forearmed. You are doing a great job, there's a lot to take in, and you have more than enough on your plate already.

We'll done!!!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

39. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Linda @Weebs, any update on how George is doing?
    Hoping you're both doing well. :bighug:

Eliz

Weebs and Gill & George like this.
  40. Weebs

Weebs New Member

Hi Elizabeth, george is doing ok now, he's back to his old self ( actually running about now ) the vet has left us to do his tests now and go back if they get too high or too low, we are much more confident with him now. It's still a big learning curve. We have so many pets that it's been a little more stressful than the average person has I think, because of our current situation too of course, but we are getting there. Thank you for asking, it's much appreciated. xxx

Dyana, Gill & George and Diana&Tom like this.
  41. Diana&Tom

Great news Linda, really pleased for you!

Diana

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.