Got a bunch of mid cycle tests this weekend. Advice on dosage?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by NatesHuman, Mar 18, 2019.

1. NatesHuman

NatesHuman Member

Hi guys, I was finally able to do some much needed mid cycle tests this weekend. Not as much as I hoped, because I do work 6 days a week and I still have to get chores and errands done. I got a decent amount though.

I am hoping you lovely animal lovers will take a peak at Nate's spreadsheet and tell me what you think, as far as dosage goes. Should I increase or decrease?

I know 2 days worth of cycles aren't ideal to make a determination, but his numbers are too high and I would like to help him ASAP.

It's worth noting, I fed him 3 to 4 times a day (smaller portions) as opposed to his usual 2-3. This seemed to keep his numbers more steady and he didn't have any big spikes or drops. I am definitely going to stick with this method.

His numbers overall are still too high though. To me it seems he may need a slight increase in dosage. Maybe 1.25 units instead of 1?

Any advice on the matter would be so appreciated by my family!

On a side note: I am taking Nate to a new vet that came highly recommend. As some of you know, I was quite displeased with his old one. Are there any questions I should ask the new vet? I'm going to show him Nate's SS. Any questions regarding that?

Thank you!

2. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

Good job getting those mid cycle tests. I’m inclined to think he probably needs an increase but I see he only had 3 cycles where you got mid day tests in And a few days before that there were days he had no AM shot according to your SS. That said I might leave him at 1U a few more cycles with mid cycle tests to get a better idea.

3. NatesHuman

NatesHuman Member

I don't know if this changes anything for you, but those 2 mornings I did give him the shot, but I forgot to chart them. Fixed it. I just wasn't able to give him the BG test those 2 mornings. I poked him several times and couldn't get enough blood, so I gave up and left for work and shot blind :( I had my girlfriend who works close by come home and check on him a couple hours after those shots. He was fine.

She actually has the day off today, so she will be able to give a couple more mid cycle tests today. Tues-Fri that will be impossible for us though.

Are his numbers dangerously high now? Or will he be fine at these levels for another week?

4. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

If you want to feel better about his numbers just look at my SS. Lol. Even with the numbers I have been getting little is “clinically” fine. Acting normal, eating well, no ketones, cuddling and playing. Don’t forget clinical signs are important as well. I know we want them to be better- get better numbers etc. but as I have been reminded by the amazing people here ... this is a dance not a sprint and patience is certainly a needed virtue. :bighug:

Rachel likes this.
  5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi there! Great job getting those tests in! I know how hard it is with work. I'm lucky enough to be able to work from home sometimes, but you'll see whole weeks where all I get for the AM cycle is the morning PS number. :( It makes it harder to adjust doses, but we all do the best we can.

I do think you have enough data to go ahead with an increase. I would move the dose to 1.25 now and not wait. Those numbers are high enough, and the drop is small enough, that it's best to get moving on an increase and see if we can't start to see some better insulin response. Since you can't test during the week, those before-bed/nighttime tests will be essential, so make sure you get as much as you can during the PM cycle - if anyone wakes up to use the restroom, or comes home later than usual, get a test in. Every little bit helps.