Got my testing supplies today!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Candy&Company, Sep 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

I finally managed to make it to Walmart with my list and hit the aisles!

They didn't have everything I was hoping for, so I got what I could - list is below.

1.) They had a TON of Relion Prime meters and supplies but since I'm brand new to all of this I didn't want a meter that took a bigger blood sample so though it killed me, I turned away.

2.) They had only 1 Relion Confirm, the box was beat up and FULLY OPENED (seal broken plus whole side of box was ripped open) - and 1 Relion Micro, box was a bit roughed up but it was still sealed and looked worlds better than the Confirm box. I asked some staff if they had anymore of either one in the back, etc. but they said no - what's out is "out".

I got the Micro. Once I got home, I also called to order control solution just in case.

3.) They had only 3 boxes of 50count strips, and only 2 boxes of 100count - so I got the 2 100 boxes. I'm kinda kicking myself thinking I should've just cleaned them out since they seem really popular. :nailbiting:

4.) Lancets - good lord, the selection sucked. All super thin gauge needles but I spied FreeStyle brand and saw they had 28 gauge so I bought 2 boxes (100count each) remembering how some users here freehand their sticks.

---I also got a freehand lancing device (which accepts the 28g Freestyle), a 2-in-1 single-use lancing devices box (50count, 25g). Wasn't sure what method would work best, so I splurged a little.

5.) Ketone strips - they only had the ones in the bottle, not foil wrapped, so I got 2 50count bottles. I don't think a shallow, long spoon will work for Fena (but maybe it will) so I'll probably be investing in more plastic/cling wrap in the future just in case - I have a full roll of it.

6.) I also got a 200count bag of cotton balls, and a 160count bag of cotton squares along with 2 small flashlights, batteries, Vaseline and a men's toiletry bag to use as my "kit". The alcohol wipes I wasn't sure about but saw them on sale for a great price, 2 boxes 200count each for just $2 so I bought.

I have some empty pill bottles here at the house for warm water ear warming, but Fena usually LOVES me playing with her ears with just my fingers - she'll literally close her eyes and sleep if I do it long enough. I can even kiss them, lip/nibble on them, etc. she just loves it so here's hoping.

I asked about the Nova Max that does blood ketone testing and they said I'd need to buy it online from Walmart.com so if the urine strips don't work out so well, I'll be buying that too.

Also got them more wet food - FF and Friskies but also 9Lives and Special Kitty that was on Dr. Lisa's chart - they used to like those brands in the past, so I figured I'd try them again in addition.

I have my Karo Light Syrup, carb-heavy gravy cans (5 of them), 2 feeding syringes and... god I forget what all else, my poor brain.

Am I forgetting anything that you guys can see/tell..? I need to make an inventory of my stuff.:eek:

Tomorrow while Fena's at the vet I'll be studying the meter manual, etc. in earnest and practicing on myself plus rewatching all of this sites AWESOME testing videos - I must've seen them multiple times on my phone, but my computer screen is much bigger so I hope I'll be able to see better.

Tonight though I'm gonna study up on the posted links about how to set up the spreadsheets - I'll be posting her vet curve plus all the lab results thus far initially, probably on Tuesday. Wednesday I hope to start home testing but I REALLY wanna start way before that but I don't wanna rush myself. Like you guys say here if you're nervous/strung out, your baby will be too and if I try and rush I KNOW I'll be out of my mind. If the vet wants Fena on a higher dose (is on 1 unit 2x) now, I'll DELAY that until I'm testing.

Thoughts, suggestions..? Trying to balance everything. :(

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Well, Candy, GOOD FOR YOU! I think you did very well on your shopping expedition. The ReliOn micro is good, uses the same strips as the confirm, so no worries there. You have your testing kit well on the way. I don't think anyone uses the alcohol wipes, that's for us "beans", but many of us use Neosporin Pain Relief ointment for after.
    You can review: http://www.felinediabetes.com/bg-home-test.htm and http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Be sure to set up a separate Hypo toolbox, with the feeding syringes, Hi Carb (HC) food, you might put a can or two of MC food when you get to that. The food is for driving up the very low BG, the corn syrup or honey is for more immediate effect. The toolbox can be a shoe box, or an old cookie tin, whatever. Just be sure to print out the HYPO instructions, and have it all in one place that you can get to easily. I hope you never need it, but it's better safe than sorry.
    Link to Hypo information: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/health-links-faqs-about-feline-diabetes.14/

Be sure to have some treats for Fena, and a treat or two for yourself also. Conditioning with those treats really helps. Sing while you are testing, it helps with the nervousness, really!

You are going to be fine, it does take practice, but you will get there.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow....You did great!!!

The only thing I have to add is about the alcohol wipes.....while it's fine if you want to use them on the insulin vial (or pen), it's not necessary....and you never want to use them on the cat! They are very drying!

4. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Ooh okay, yeah I didn't get any Neosporin since I have that exact one here at home, from when my Mom was alive - bless her heart, sigh. But can get more if needed, I just remember reading about possible reactions to it, as Fena's never had it, so in case, wanted to have some Vaseline on hand and the wipes. Will check the links!!

I don't have a container for the Hypo kit... shoot. Right now, it's stored on the top shelf above my coffee-maker/canned food (for me) cabinet beside my fridge. I'll look into that for sure! Haven't been able to print out the hypo sheets yet either, something else I need to get going on! I've read them a ton but I'm not comfortable I have it down enough to go by memory, so will definitely print. MC is... mid/medium carb food? Oh gosh, what range is that in...?

She loves the Halo freeze dried chicken, and I'm SO disappointed that Walmart didn't have any - at all! In the cat OR dog section, they didn't have those new "filet" treats either from FF I think it is? I'll have to stock up better at my grocery (Giant Eagle), they have them there. I got 2 Lindt dark chocolate bars for myself, LOL. Purebites, those are a hit too right? Thanks for the link!!

Oh I don't sing but I DO talk, constantly.. even if they're asleep, LOL. I use a special "tone of voice" but I can TRY singing, they've never heard me do it so not sure how they'll react. Maybe I can transition into sing-talking..? Will try it, thank you!

5. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Thanks, I felt so brain dead at the check out, LOL.

Yeah the wipes are more for me than Fena, i.e. I wash my hands before her shot/meds, but sometimes I STILL have to drag her out of somewhere, pet on her, etc. which makes me potentially "dirty" again so I doubt it'll be different for testing, so I wanted to help ensure I could keep her safe when breaking the skin. Especially if she might want to shake her head, and I might need to scoop up the drop on the back of a fingernail, etc. Like that phrase, "Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" in the beginning. Or so my brain says. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.