Gracie is HI AMPS!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Teenuh, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teenuh

    Teenuh Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    Just checked Gracie's AMPS. It registered as HI. I checked again and it was HI again.

    Should I give her insulin?

    Food hasn't changed. I gave her Friskies Pate and Nulo Pate. Carbs on those is virtually none.

    My conscious says to hold off on insulin and not jump the gun.
     
  2. Djamila

    Djamila Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    Yes, hold off, but start testing more to make sure she comes down. More cupcakes?
     
  3. Teenuh

    Teenuh Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    No cupcakes in the apartment. In fact I have nothing sugary in my apartment right now.

    There is nothing that I see that she could have ate that would have caused this spike.

    I'll test again in 30 mins.

    Edit: Technically my coffee is a little sweet, but it's pretty much gone.
     
  4. Djamila

    Djamila Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    Well no wonder she was peeved with all of those tests!!! You could have waited a few hours in between each one. ;)

    I know, it's hard to wait when you want to see her come down so badly. Test her tonight (once) if you're home. And again in the morning. Let's see what she's got planned. Are you home tomorrow? Since it's been awhile since she's had a shot, I think it'd be best if you're home before you give her an injection. (if she doesn't just settle down on her own)
     
    Rachel likes this.
  5. Teenuh

    Teenuh Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    I actually thought about that on my way to work too. Sorry Gracie. All i wanted to do was give her a handful of dried salmon treats.

    Not home, but I will test tomorrow AM. I'm not home all day tomorrow. I'm home from 9-noon, then 4-8.
     
  6. Teenuh

    Teenuh Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    Gracie is still chilling in the 100's. I'm not there, but I did ask my pet sitter to stop by and test, as she was feeding my upstairs neighbors cat.

    SS is updated. Should I tell her to shoot something?
     
  7. Djamila

    Djamila Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    I think I'd still hold off. But keep up with the testing. The lows in the morning are giving me pause about starting insulin. I'm curious what's going on with her though.
     
  8. Teenuh

    Teenuh Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    I'm partly convinced she senses a new kitty is coming Saturday . . .
     
    Rachel and Djamila like this.
  9. Djamila

    Djamila Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    @Rachel - what do you think about her numbers? I haven't seen that many relapses - I'm hoping since you've been here the longest you might have some insight on this. Would you give some insulin on the high numbers? Or wait until you see some consistently high numbers?

    When Sam relapsed I started him on insulin after three high numbers, but they were really high and he was symptomatic as well so it was pretty clear he needed help. This one seems less clear-cut.
     
  10. Teenuh

    Teenuh Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    She's even lower this evening. She just ate a little. Going to check BG at maybe +1 or +2

    EDIT: Not lots but 20 points.
     
  11. Djamila

    Djamila Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    So maybe she just didn't feel well for a couple of days? Hopefully she's done with those high numbers.
     
  12. Teenuh

    Teenuh Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    I wish I knew what was going on in her body.

    I don’t think she feels good. Maybe stress?

    Current photo 2BE06386-0C42-4E30-A9BD-B787ECDDECE8.jpeg
     
    Djamila likes this.
  13. Djamila

    Djamila Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    I hate to even suggest it, but pancreatitis? It often shows up with diabetes, but there are plenty of non-diabetics that get it too :(:bookworm:
     
  14. Teenuh

    Teenuh Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    I won’t rule it out, but dear lord..... I hope not!

    I’m just going to have to monitor & pay close attention to her habits.
     
  15. Rachel

    Rachel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2013
    When's the last time she had a vet checkup? It could be something like p'titis or maybe an infection or teeth cleaning is needed? Anything going on that is weird and could be stressful right now?

    Here's what I would do if she were mine:
    • Take her for a checkup. Not urgent (don't skip work today or anything) but get her in there soon and have them just check her out and try to find out if something is going on that could be raising the numbers.
    • If they don't find anything, continue to monitor her.
    • If she gets in those higher numbers, I'd give her a little smidge of insulin if you can monitor I think.
    The reason I might give a smidge of insulin is when she went OTJ she had some consistently low numbers...lime greens or low dark greens. Now she's hitting high blues or even having crazy days of pinks/blacks/reds. I worry that her pancreas are doing what they can, but can't keep up and are occasionally laying down on the job. A tiny bit of insulin support here and there might help that. When a kitty comes out of remission, I usually find that it isn't that fast...it's kind of a slow build up of higher numbers and the pancreas aren't really able to handle it. With the way Gracie has been lately, I think it's possible she needs a tiny bit of support here and there to keep those pancreas in good order.

    Now that's just what I would do! If anyone else has a thought or if you think something different, Teenuh, that's fine! My gut tells me something is up since it wasn't just one time that she had higher than normal numbers...but I can't say for sure. I hope it turns out to be nothing or maybe just something crazy going on!
     
    Djamila likes this.
  16. Kris & Teasel

    Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2016
    I like Rachel's suggested plan of action and her analysis. :)
     
  17. Kris & Teasel

    Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2016
    What a sweet girl! :bighug::bighug:
     
  18. Teenuh

    Teenuh Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    She's back to normal this morning.

    I called my vet's office this morning. My vet is on vacation AGAIN. Anyway, they put me through to another vet there. She said to send her my SS and she would look at it and give me a call back.
    She called me back and wants to do a fructosamine test first, and Is this necessary? I think not, as my SS tells me what is going on. What do you guys think? And it's $103. She thinks Gracie is HYPERGLYCEMIA. I said there is no way.

    Then she said depending on that she will order blood tests, but she wasn't real set on ordering tests, but she did say that whatever tests I wanted she would order.

    I said I wanted to rule out pancreatitis and she said "not to jump the gun ".

    I said I would call her back with what I wanted.
     
  19. Teenuh

    Teenuh Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    Last vet checkup was at Dx. So, December. I did a full blood work.

    Nothing out of the normal. I am getting a new cat tomorrow. I really think she senses it, but I wouldn't know how. I haven't even brought in the new cat tree, litter box, or bed yet. Tonight I will--at least was planning on it.

    I'm definitely not opposed to giving her the juice if she needs it. Even just a little.
     
    Kris & Teasel likes this.
  20. Rachel

    Rachel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2013
    I definitely wouldn’t do the fructo...it gives an average of BG. What will that do for you? Nothing...you have much more valuable data on your SS.

    It could be the new kitty...she could definitely sense it.

    You could have her tested for the p’titis and have her teeth checked...or see how she feels and what her BG is for s few days and decide then.
     
    Djamila likes this.
  21. Teenuh

    Teenuh Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    I left a message for the vet. Waiting for a call back. I said I wanted her tested for p'titis and asked about a dental exam.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page