Great lows, but highs still very high

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Asiina & Alex(GA), Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asiina & Alex(GA)

Asiina & Alex(GA) Member

So I've posted on the prozinc forum about this and gotten great advice from people there, but this is a more general question. Alex has been on prozinc for about a month, originally on 1u but it was too little, 1.25 keeps him in a great range the majority of the day, and 1.5 drops him into hypo range the few times I've tried it. The issue is that with all of these he's always coming back up to 20-25 (360-450) by shot time, regardless of where he spent the rest of the day.

His behaviour and symptoms have decreased considerably and he's more or less back to his old self. His neuropathy is even getting better, so should I be happy with the results I'm getting and not worry about the high numbers or should I still be trying to get those down? I'm not sure if the diabetes is still causing internal damage to him when it's high or if him being in a good range the majority of the time is "good enough" if he's otherwise feeling better.

2. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

Your question is my very frustration I was going to post this very morning! I have been at this for 2.5 months and Simbas numbers have not gone done appreciably. Drops to a low of 50 (real 75)mid day then rises.. His rear leg strength has come back some and not peeing or drinking as constantly as previous. Is this as good as it is going to get? He acts fine and eats as usual. He gets 2 un over 200, 1 unit under 200 and no shot under 120, previosuly 150. Like you Im thinking Is this the new normal?

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I think that the highs Alex gets at PS time are a direct result of the steep drop to his nadir that happens. It creates a rebound or "bounce" reaction. His nadir numbers are good so there's no need to increase his dose. We always hope that over time the PS numbers will come down but that doesn't always happen. In cats who respond strongly to insulin as Alex does their physiology is such that the big difference between the highs and lows are just part of his normal response. My cat is like that and it's the reason why I switched from ProZinc to Lantus after about 7 months. A depot insulin like Lantus them out a little more - how much depends on the cat. However, because Alex hasn't been on insulin a month yet I'd stick with ProZinc. The general guideline is to give an insulin 6 months to assess it properly in your particular kitty.

4. Kris & Teasel

Are you following the Lantus SLGS guidelines as closely as you can?

5. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

Yes, but I can only poke him to test and shoot only so many times a day. I'm surprised the furry little dear is not hiding from me these days with as much
    attention as he gets...

6. Kris & Teasel

SLGS doesn't require as much testing as TR - AM/PMPS, a weekly curve and maybe an evening before bed test.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.