Great News! Tiggs back down to 1 unit 2x a day

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TiglathPileser, Nov 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TiglathPileser

TiglathPileser Member

Just got back from a morning fasting blood draw, and Dr. Brookenthal has Tiggy back down to his beginning insulin intake. He had an all-day draw yesterday and they found that with his new "Catkins" diet he had dropped into a low blood sugar range. Now it should balance out! He started on 1 unit 2x daily, but wasn't responding, so the vet elevated it to 3 units am, 2 units pm, and that helped drop Tiggs down to the low end. Now that he's adjusted, it looks like we can go back to the original dosage and manage with a high protein, low carb diet (just like Mom and Dad, lol, we're dieting to look good for my sister's wedding!)

He currently is eating a single 3oz can of Natural Balance Chicken, Turkey and Guineafowl pate a day, supplemented with chunk tuna in water and a small can of minced clams. We'll be switching him over to a canned cat food that's 'chunks in broth' soon, because I believe he simply doesn't like pate as much as solid chewy pieces.

He also eats a couple pieces of seaweed snack (nori/laver) a day, high in vitamins and taurine, plus olive oil for a nice shiny fluffy coat, since he's a longhaired, spoiled baby.

2. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

That's great news. Especially if you can mostly regulate him with food adjustments.

Leo gets some of my barbecue leftovers. And we had a company lunch last week, but they gave me all the leftovers. About 6 pounds of fresh TEXAS Barbecue! Leo has also been getting spoiled with that BBQ.

Good luck on the human dieting. Isn't that the hardest? We're mostly smarter than cats but we (as a species) overeat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.