Great sign!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TreeburnerCT, Mar 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TreeburnerCT

TreeburnerCT Member

Started Amber on insulin and home BG testing last Tuesday. She started at 1 unit but I wasn't seeing much effect from it after a few days so yesterday I gave her 2 units of Humulin-N in the morning and 2 in the evening. I didn't see much change in her numbers but gave her 2 units again this morning and at +5 she's down to 132! So happy for her, we're making progress and she actually took a walk this morning to take a nap in her old bedroom where she hasn't been since the diabetes symptoms started.

From here any changes in dose will be made much more slowly, but figured I'd share some good news for a change! Also, she LOVES the freeze dried treats, I got her Vital Essences Rabbit Bites and Pure Bites Chicken and Catnip, she smelled the Rabbit Bites for about 30 seconds before touching them but then woofed them down!

Thanks for all the help and guidance everyone has provided, feeling very hopeful at this point!

EDIT: Half an hour after my original post I gave her half a can of the Weruva Chicken in Pumpkin Consomme, she let it sit for half an hour while she napped but once she got up she stalked over to it like it was going to run from her then proceeded to gobble up the whole half can! Glad she's taking to the sudden diet change and constant poking and prodding so well!

Thanks,
    Joe

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

That was a brave jump in dose but it seems to have worked. :)

TreeburnerCT likes this.
  3. TreeburnerCT

TreeburnerCT Member

She's already 16 and has been symptomatic without treatment for a few months already, I really wanted to get her to a safer range before more damage is done and on 1 unit she wasn't getting below the 300-500 range throughout the day. Fortunately I work in the same town where Amber lives with my parents and my boss is awesome so I can run back whenever I need to check her blood.

Thanks,
    Joe

Magic Johnson and Kris & Teasel like this.
  4. TreeburnerCT

TreeburnerCT Member

Turns out Amber doesn't care for the Tiki Cat fish as she had not eaten a bite when I got there this morning. I gave her Chicken and Pumpkin again and she ate 1/3 of a can so fortunately I was then able to give her her 2 units of Humulin-N.

Have not had a chance to update my spreadsheet today but Amber was back up in the 250-350 range by yesterday evening, however the peak values yesterday were reassuring. Also she's already acting like she's feeling better - she walked to the other end of the house to hang out with my parents last night and actually jumped up on the couch with my dad, then walked back to the other end of the house at bed time! I'm surprised she's showing signs of feeling better already!

Just figured I'd share more good news.

Thanks,
    Joe

5. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

I hope I have good luck with those; I literally just ordered the Pure Bites Chicken and Catnip, and the Vital Essence Duck bites last night. After cutting out the Friskies treats completely I felt a little guilty that my fat kitty wasn't getting anything while the dog got her usual. Moderation will be used, but I have to give her something for being so good about letting me poke her repeatedly with sharps.

TreeburnerCT and Magic Johnson like this.
  6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Nice blues today! I'm glad she's showing some positive signs too. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.