Greeting from Fred & Smeagol

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Frederick Meyer, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frederick Meyer

Frederick Meyer New Member

Hey all,

My is Fred and I'm the human best friend of an awesome black cat named Smeagol. I've had him for 14 years when my folks found him as a stray. He was 1 - 3 years old at the time and he's been a pretty spoiled indoor cat ever since.

The past few weeks we've noticed that he'd been losing weight. In the past two weeks he started urinating on the floor just outside of the litterbox-- something that he would NEVER do normally. A trip to the vet yielded a blood and urine test and the diagnosis of feline diabetes.

[​IMG]

This is my buddy as of half an hour ago on his spot on the couch and on his favorite blanket. He's not really been eating much lately and we just started his insulin last night. He shares the house with two other cats-- a tabby of 14.5 years and a maine coon that is about 9.

He's never been a big eater but he's gone from 11 lbs to 7 lbs in a few weeks and even lost an additional 4 oz from Friday to Monday. He started his insulin routine Monday night and hasn't really eaten much in the intervening times.

I hope that the community here can help me to better understand just what I need to do to help make his last few years comfortable and happy. He's my best friend in the world and I can't stand to see him in any form of discomfort.

Thanks for listening...

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome Fred and Sméagol! What a sweet face! Come to the Main Health forum and tell us more about sweet Sméagol. Let us know what food your feeding, what insulin you’re using, if you’re home testing (highly recommended) and if he has any other medical problems and we can start helping you get your boy regulated!

3. Frederick Meyer

Frederick Meyer New Member

Thanks Sharon. I'm so new to all of this and, quite honestly, our vet didn't really inspire a lot of confidence with the instructions, etc.

I love this cat and just want to do whats best for him.

Sharon14 likes this.
  4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

5. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.