Greetings from an overwhelmed newbie.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by HiFiPassion, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFiPassion

HiFiPassion New Member

Hi everyone....I'm Dana, dad to Felix. He's an indoor/outdoor black DSH with green eyes, 13-1/2 pounds. Felix adopted me in September 2004 when he was about 2 years old (his first owner was a neighbor). For the most part he's been a healthy cat other than being injured a few times from cat fights and he's been sick a few times with a fever causing dehydration requiring some visits to the animal hospital.

Yesterday I took him to the vet for his annual check-up and he was also due for vaccinations. I've noticed recently he's been extremely lethargic and drinking much more water than he normally does. Last week he vomited a few times and I figured he ate some grass or something that upset his stomach. He doesn't use a litter box. He goes in and out through a cat door and does his business outside. The vet suggested doing blood work to make sure everything was OK.

The Vet said his glucose level was 405, indicating diabetes. He said that would explain the increased water consumption and his lethargy. As the vet looked at his chart, he mentioned the glucose level was elevated in Oct. 2014 when he had his last check-up. I was unaware of this because the vet never said anything to me about this. He told me we needed to get him on insulin immediately. He prescribed ProZinc, 2 injections per day. He showed me how to do the injection. He said for the first week I should get comfortable with giving the injections and closely monitor Felix for any reactions to the insulin. He said after a week to bring him in and leave him for a day so they can do a glucose course to determine if adjustments to the dosage is needed.

Vet said next step would be to make changes to his diet by moving him from high-carb dry food to low-carb canned food. He didn't mention home glucose testing, but I asked him about it and he said that was something we would discuss down the road but said I shouldn't worry about it right now.

This morning I had a rough time trying to inject the insulin. Felix was still upset and agitated from his ordeal at the vet yesterday and he doesn't trust me right now. I couldn't get him to sit still and be calm enough for me to feel comfortable doing the injection. I know it will get easier and become routine with time and practice.

Right now I feel overwhelmed with suddenly and unexpectedly having to deal with all this. I've started to read and research all the info that's available and will do whatever is required to do the best I can to take care of Felix. He's a very fussy eater, so it's going to be challenging making the dietary changes to canned food. I'm also very nervous about doing the home glucose testing.

I'm glad I found this group for a source of information and support. I look forward to any comments, suggestions and knowledge you folks can share with me.

Thanks!

Dana & Felix

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Dana and Felix,

It sounds like you have a good vet - up to date on the value of low carb food, good mild insulin and willing to help with home testing.

I hope we can help answer some of your questions. Lots of us give the shot while the kitty is busy eating breakfast or dinner. Our Oliver never noticed. We do suggest to make the food change slowly to minimize tummy upsets. Have you see the food chart?

http://catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf

We try to feed under 8-10% carbs.

Here are some links/videos that should help you get started on home testing.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

We put together a protocol for ProZinc. It's in my signature in blue.

Do lots of reading and ask any questions you want. Everyone who answers your post is paying it forward for help they received.

3. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Shelly & Jersey (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Dana,

I'm so sorry to hear that Felix has diabetes, but I am so happy you found FDMB. As we say around here, it's the best place you never wanted to be. First, take a deep breath. You can absolutely do this. My name is Shelly, by the way, and my cat's name is Jersey. Jersey is one of the many success stories here at FDMB. She was on insulin for just a few months before she went into remission. We couldn't have done it without a good insulin, low-carb food, home testing, and the wonderful people here.

ProZinc is a good insulin to use with cats. I used Lantus, so I don't have any personal experience with ProZinc. However, there are several experienced users here who can help you with your insulin. Sue (and Oliver) is one of those individuals.

A low-carb diet is important for our diabetic kitties. Ideally, we want to feed foods that contain less than 10% carbs. Many of us rely on this food chart to help us figure out the carb content of food. When kitties are switched to a low-carb diet, their need for insulin can decline dramatically. In fact, we've had members here whose kitties went into remission after diet change alone. (If they wouldn't have been home testing, they wouldn't have realized that the insulin was too much for their kitties.)

Obviously, home testing is extremely important. Humans always check their blood sugar levels before taking insulin, and it's important that we check our kitties' sugar levels, too. I know home testing sounds really intimidating, but it truly isn't as bad as it sounds. I remember telling my husband before we started home testing that I wouldn't be able to do it - that he would have to handle it. And to be completely honest, I was in tears the first few times we tried to test Jersey. I was terrified that I was hurting her and making her hate us. She didn't hate us....and Felix won't hate you for it, either. Before long, in fact, I was testing Jersey all by myself.

Most people here use human meters to check blood sugar levels - meters like the ReliOn Prime or Micro. Although you can use a pet-specific meter (e.g., the AlphaTrak), the test strips for those pet meters are much more expensive.

Please just make sure you ask questions whenever you have them.
    Shelly

ETA: I see Sue has responded while I was typing my introduction. I'm going to go ahead and post it, even though I understand I'm repeating several things that she already said. :)

4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey Dana and welcome. First of all take a deep breath and know that we all can relate to you being overwhelmed. We all felt the same way and yes, it will get easier. :)

First of all ProZinc is a nice gentle insulin and we will have you post in the ProZinc forum as those peeps really know that insulin well.

Second, the sooner you learn to home test, the better. Two reason: 1. You will be able to keep Felix safe. As a new diabetic you do not want to shoot insulin if his number is 200 or less. And you won't know that unless you are home testing. I am going to link you two good videos that show you how to do. After reviewing, post again if you have any questions about it.
    You will want to test before each shot and some additional test in between the 12 hour cycle. Find a place in your home where you will always perform the test and give lots of hugs before and after testing. There are many videos showing you how to test. Here is a picture of where you test on your kitty. http://s106.photobucket.com/user/chupie_2006/media/testingear/sweetspot.jpg.html

Here is another good link on Home Testing:http://www.felinediabetes.com/bg-home-test.htm

You can start to acclimate Felix for the testing by taking him to the place you will designate test area and just simply rub his ears a few time. Give him a low carb treat (many of us use freeze dried chicken pieces like Pure Bites or Stella and Chewy's. or Bonita Flakes you can get in an Asian store or online. )
    Then when you start to test, he will associate the treats with that area and not be so aggravated. you can try this technique with the insulin giving also since he is a bit aggravated. Remember to try and stay calm as our kitties pick up on our stress and they become stressed. Some peeps sing while they are shooting or testing to keep themselves calm. (could I suggest Jingle Bells, LOL)

Another reason to learn to test is that you won't need to take Felix into the vets for the curve, you can do it yourself. We can teach you how to do it. Then you will save money and you won't have Felix stressed out at the vet office and have his numbers be elevated. Then your vet is recommending a dose on those elevated numbers which could be too much. Some cats can have their Blod Glucose (BG) elevate as much as 150 points!

Meters: There are many meters. There is a pet meter called the Alpha Trak2 and human meters. Some use the pet meter because it is what the vets use so the numbers will match up. The meter and strips are expensive though. Most use human meters that can be purchased at any pharmacy. It typically reads a little lower than the pet meter but we have ways of compensating it. Many use Walmart's brand, Relion Micro or Relion Prime, because it only needs a tiny drop of blood. The Prime testing strips are ½ the price of the Micro.

Lancets: These are used to poke the ear to get blood. There are many different sizes (gauges). It is recommended when you are first starting out to use a 26-28 gauge. Also, it would be a good idea to pick up Neosporin WITH pain reliever to apply on the edge of the ears and don't forget to alternate ears.

As far as food: we suggest wet low carb food under 10 % carbs. Here is a link for the chart we use.
    foodchart
    The carbs are the third column from the left. Hopefully they will be a flavor or brand that Felix will like. You can transition slowly by adding some of the new to mostly the old and each feeding slowly increase the new and give less old. It is very important that you be home testing during this transition as they can drop as much as 100 pots overnight from switching from high carb to low carb.

This is a good start for now and I am sure others will weigh in and give your some other really good info. Keep hanging out here and read all you can and keep asking questions that is how we all learn. We are here to help and support each other.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Regarding injecting, you can inject Felix when he is finishing his food. I do that for my Patches II. Otherwise she tries to bite me.

6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Dana,

I'm sorry to hear that Felix hasn't been feeling so well. Hopefully now that he's getting his insulin he'll start to feel much better very soon. He's blessed to have you for his Person. :)

Larry has already given you a good tip about giving insulin while Felix is eating his grub. Some

Here's a very good video with positive reinforcement techniques that may help make injection times easier.

Mogs

7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Dana, this is the place to be when you have a "kid" with diabetes.

You have received so much information already. You are probably overwhelmed. Take a deep breath and breathe.

This is so manageable and you will find a routine quickly. Grab some coffee, start reading up to familiarize yourself with everything.

You can start getting him use to home testing. I think someone sent you some tips on that. Sounds like your vet is on board with that.

A meter for Felix would make a wonderful Christmas present one he will use.

Welcome. Looking forward to hearing your progress.

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. HiFiPassion

HiFiPassion New Member

Many thanks to all who replied to my post. I attempted to inject while Felix was eating but was unsuccessful. When eating he doesn't want to be touched or bothered. What seems to work best is to approach him while he's resting/sleeping. I give him some gentle petting and then I do the injection. I'm researching low carb canned food options and will start experimenting to see if I can find one he will eat. I'm also looking at the test meter options so I can get on board with home testing. I know I have some challenges ahead dealing with the food and testing but my plan is to do whatever it takes to get the diabetes under control.

Dana & Felix

Critter Mom and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  9. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

It is all very overwhelming at first but it will get easier. We are here to help so if you need support, yell.

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Dana,

Wishing you every success in getting Felix's diabetes in hand. You'll be a seasoned sugar cat wrangler before you know it. :)

I'd also like to wish you and Felix as happy a Christmas as possible, and a much healthier New Year.

Blessings,

Mogs

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  11. HiFiPassion

HiFiPassion New Member

Hi Mogs,

Thanks for your support and hope you have a Merry Christmas.

Dana

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Note that food changes are best done gradually to avoid food refusal and GI upsets (vomiting and/or diarrhea). This means swapping about 20-25% different food each day while monitoring for issues. Also, by reducing the carbohydrate amount considerably, you may drop the glucose 100-200 mg/dL and may drop the insulin requirement 1-2 units. Because of those possible changes, we strongly encourage home testing before you make food changes, for safety reasons - too much insulin can kill.

See my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for additional assessments you may make to evaluate your cat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.