Greetings from California - from Linus (cat) and Jennifer (cat mom)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jennifer & Linus, Nov 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer & Linus

Jennifer & Linus Member

Hi everyone,

I'm also a newly diagnosed freaked out cat owner here (one of many!) My cat Linus is the first pet I've ever owned - and I put him on a raw cat food diet a few years ago to do my best to raise a healthy cat and minimize diabetes risk - and yet, he was recently diagnosed a few weeks ago at the vet. Linus was diagnosed with gingivitis and was scheduled for a teeth cleaning and I noticed he was having trouble eating, so I caved and gave him some Wellness chicken canned food for about a week before his teeth cleaning - which has some carbs, but not that much.

As Linus underwent teeth cleaning two weeks ago, the vet noticed his blood glucose level was high (380 mg/dL range), so after one blood glucose test- the vet prescribed Lantus, 2 ccs / twice a day. Since he was on Wellness food for a little over a week, I wondered if the higher glucose test came from the change in diet, as he usually eats a purely protein raw food diet regularly. It also seemed quite drastic to put my cat on insulin twice a day, based one blood test and when he was eating his not-normal food of Wellness -but what do I know? After the teeth cleaning, I've switched Linus back to raw food since his teeth cleaning, he can eat much easier now. I've also just purchased the Relion confirm glucose meter, and just did my first blood test on him, a few minutes after he ate (when he is most relaxed and easy to manipulate). His first blood test reading came out to 442 mg /dL, which seemed high so I just gave him 2ccs of Lantus.

He's been on Lantus for two weeks now and I've been wary about giving him the insulin shots but I haven't had the blood glucose meter yet so I've been watching him carefully - he seems a bit lethargic, more than usual - but his urine volume has gone down.

I'm going to do my best to do more glucose testing as I get better at it - he's usually begging for food before mealtimes, I can't imagine trying to get blood from his ear unless his head it in his food bowl. Tips? I welcome any advice, suggestions or recommendations! I can tell there is such a wealth of experience on this diabetes board - thank you!

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome, Jennifer and Linus. It is a bit of a roller coaster at first, but as you learn about diabetes treatment for Linus and get the routine down, it does get easier. That said, home testing is one of the best tools you have to keep Linus safe and see how the insulin is acting. I couldn't imagine testing either, and we were awful at it at first. But we kept at it, watched all kinds of videos, read the info here on the board and we got a whole lot better. Testing is going to let you know if Linus' BG (blood glucose) is dropping too low. I wonder at this point, since you say he is acting lethargic, if the dose is right. Most cats are started out at one unit, and the protocols here are to either increase or decrease by 0.25 units. Visit the Lantus forum and read the info and stickies at the top of the page.
    Great that you have already made your signature, I suggest you eliminate the date of membership info, that's already displayed under your avatar. Add gender, age and weight, what dose of Lantus, and brand of raw food. There is only so much space/lines available for the signature and advising members are going to want to see as much pertinent info as possible.
    I suggest that you start a thread in the Main Health forum where you can ask for information on testing, or anything else. This Intro forum is essentially a welcome mat and more eyes will see and be able to respond to your questions, concerns and issues. The information is here, or we can direct you to additional info, the community is caring and supportive, with many very experienced and knowledgeable members.
    Linus is hungry all the time because unregulated cats can't utilize the food properly, so they want to eat more to "get enough". You say you have him on a pure protein diet, do you make your own using a nutritional supplement or buy a brand of raw food? You can address that in the Main Health forum.
    Regarding the Relion Confirm meter, Walmart is phasing that out, and will not be supplying strips. But an online site has strips that are labeled differently, but is actually the company that manufactures the meters and strips. Walmart just slapped the ReliOn name on for their brand. Again, info can be provided to you on the Main Health forum.
    I will look for your thread in the Main Heath forum and help as much as I can. :cat:

Jennifer & Linus likes this.
  3. Jennifer & Linus

Jennifer & Linus Member

So helpful - thank you, Idjit's mom! I will post this on the main health forum - I feel so silly buying the Walmart Relion Confirm - hoping I can get the testing strips via another brand....I've updated my signature :) See you on the other forum!!

4. Coco’s Momma

Coco’s Momma Member

Welcome Jennifer and Linus!

Jennifer & Linus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.