Greetings from Seattle

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Darwin H., Nov 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

As a long time cat daddy that now has two geriatric male cats... Learning a lot as I go. Did deep dive on the net on this subject as I feel like I have been used as a ATM by the Vet here with my 12 year old blonde flame point Siamese who is suffering from hind leg weakness and peeing accidents while losing a lot of weight. I'm and not happy about my vet and have spent a lot of money last few days. Want to get up to speed on home monitoring and what all I need to know to continue quality of life care for my 2 cats. One 12 and the other 16. Glad to be aboard. Just purchased a ReliOn Prime and took my first readings. 304 for the diabetic cat and 70 for the older cat who has no issues. Don't know if 304 is good or bad it just is. Trying to find what range I should be in?
    Trying to establish a curve and how to live with this. I have no answers from the vet other than them springing costs and visits upon me without a plan. That stops now.
    Have not used a control solution either and have no idea if it is even something "real" or just marketing to get my info. Thanks in advance for any info. Great to be aboard as we said in the USMC.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! Your cats are pretty close in age to mine. My diabetic, Mia, is 11, and my other, Willow, is 16 1/2. Here's some info on Regulation from the FAQs on this site: http://www.felinediabetes.com/fdmb-faq.htm#regulation It calls tightly regulated between 60-120. So, 304 is pretty high. Control solution is used to check the performance of your meter/strips. It is not something you must use. It can be helpful if you are having such wonky readings that you suspect an issue with a new vial of strips or with your meter. You won't even know what is 'wonky' until you have been testing for awhile. :)

You have come to the right place to get support and advice from people who live this every day, some for years. It would be helpful if you could go ahead and set up a signature with basic info like the type of insulin and meter you are using. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/ And, you will want to set up a spreadsheet to track glucose test results and insulin doses given and include a link to it in your signature. It will be a valuable tool for you going forward, and it will help us help you! http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/ http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

Please post any questions you have on the main health forum.

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Darwin and kitties. You will definitely find the information and answers you have been searching for here on the board. I usually suggest new members go back and read the information on the Home page (if you haven't already), the Getting Started and Education. There is a wealth of information here in the different forums, which you will get to, but that Home page info is a very good starting point. Congratulations on already home testing!! Looking forward to following your progress with learning the sugar dance with your kitty. Best wishes.

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  4. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey there! Welcome and so sorry you are having such a bad experience with your vet. Not all that uncommon when it comes diabetes unfortunately. Especially because it is a treatable condition. I too am from Seattle and have a very reasonable and educated vet. She was totally supportive of my involvement with this Board and the treatment of my cat's diabetes with the info and support I found on this board.
    Looks like you've been pointed in the right direction to get started. Big learning curve, but totally worth it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.