Grieving diabetic Simba: How much playtime should he have?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ann & Scatcats, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Thank everyone for your shown empathy for Simba now when we have lost our Gustav.

I know it is only the second day but Simba is sad and doesn't want to be alone anywhere in the apartment. And it is the first time since 1994, 18 years, since I've had only 1 cat, and I never have had a grieving diabetic before.

Simba got most of his activity from hanging with Gustav all day, and a good wrestle at least once a day. He is 16 years, diabetic, devastated and I need to activate him by myself now without Gustav's help.

So how much playtime should Simba have during a day?

2. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Re: Grieving diabetic Simba: How much playtime should he hav

omg,
    I am shedding tears reading this! Sooo sorry for Simba.
    My Sugar Bean did the same thing... seemed to have no life in her...would hunt down Gumpys toys and just lay on them. I took pix of this because I could not believe it. Bean was the youngest, so was never ever without her buddie... I was grieving for my own loss, but to watch her just broke my heart in two.
    I called the vet, discussed giving downers for a while. Or of course, introducing another 'sibling'. I was very mixed as I did not want to 'replace' my Gumpy and did not even know how Bean would react.
    It did not take too many days - 7 - I think. We now have Ittle Sista... got her at 6 wks.... WAS the BEST decision for us...
    That does not mean it is for everyone, but it sure helped Bean.
    Again, soo sorry for you both :YMSIGH:
    Big paw hugs to you both!

3. Ann & Scatcats

I've entertained the thought of getting a little one new friend for Simba, and asked my old mother if she thought we should do that for Simba.

But we agreed that Simba only tolerated Gustav, which he even loved dearly, and are so aggressive towards other cats, even if they are young, and dogs ... and air balloons, he is very aggressive towards air balloons when out on the cat safe fenced in balcony and seeing them. And with aggressive I really mean he uses physical voilence and the tactic "Better to hit hard first, than to be hit". I am glad I found him outside as a homeless baby when he was around 6 months in 1996, because otherwise life on the streets would have been a constant fight for him and he might not have lived so long as he have done now.

I wish Simba wasn't that aggressive, but he is and I don't want to risk any harm to a little defenceless one, besides I don't know how long I'll get to keep Simba.

Perhaps they play less during a day when they are 16 years over all?

4. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

My Slappy is 16 this yr. She dont play at all. She sleeps, eats and occasionally will 'play' hand with momma... That is about it.

Bean is a bit aggressive too. When Sista came to our home, she was able to come to work with me. She stayed in the bathroom in the evenings for about 3 days, then to the 'welcome room' (spare) with baby gates up the door. The adoption agency even let me 'foster' her for 3 wks. I did this to see if Bean would except her, they would get along and Beans bg would stay normal.

By coming to work with me, allowed Bean her home back. I chose a small one just so that Bean would not have to worry whos boss. I had no idea if it would work or not. Bean still gets tired of Sista, but all in all, it is going well. She has been with us since 3 wk of July.

Good luck with your decision. I know that time heals but damn! My heart goes out to you and Simba.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Two play sessions of about 15-20 minutes, before meals may help - it activates the hunt, catch, kill, eat, groom, sleep cycle for a cat.

Change up the activities and toys used every day or so to prevent boredom.

6. Terwilliger1

Terwilliger1 Member

I’m so sorry about Gustav. I had two sister cats from the same litter, and lost one of them last spring. The remaining sister, my sugarcat Timmy, started vocalizing a lot. As soon as I turned out the lights at night for bed, she would wander around and let out this pitiful “Rowl”. She didn’t want to sit on my lap much at first either. I tried getting her to sleep with us, but she wouldn’t. I waited three months before getting another cat, a baby kitten. She doesn’t like her new little brother very much, but the crying stopped immediately and she’s a cuddle bug again. She’ll be 18 this summer and she’s never been a super-playful cat, so the new companion didn't change that. You know Simba better than anyone, so you’ll know what feels right. I read that cats can grieve from weeks to even months. Maybe just spoil him with some new toys to get him interested in something for now?

7. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

Is Simba interested in any toys? My guys are funny sometimes. Lazer light is extremely popular, and the plastic rings from plastic milk jugs - if yours comes like that. Playing Lazer Tag, jumping up the wall or going around in circles wears them out pretty quickly. And they LOVE it!

My dog Kirby grieved terribly when cat Ronnie was PTS (recurring fibroid sarcoma cancer) - they used to snuggle. And when her (dog) sister Murphy died I was certain that Kirby wouldn't live much longer. Then I adopted Dom. He was so good for Kirby that she lived another 3 years. Having a puppy to train gave her a mission - and Dom was such an angel to be so respectful of 13-16 yr old Kirby. Needless to say, after Kirby was PTS, Jack (dog) joined us a month later. Although he adored the kitties, and they loved him like their mom, Dom just couldn't stand to be an only dog child.

A friend adopted a cat Charlie who was a little wild - okay, REALLY wild. A few months later, she adopted Gracie - petite, not so headstrong. It took a little bit of supervision at first, but Gracie learned to hold her own against Charlie, and as she's gotten a little bigger, she gets along great with him. They wrestle and play and hang out. It was a good fit in the long run, just took a little time to adjust.

I'm sure whatever you choose to do for Simba will be good. He does need to grieve his buddy, but in a while, he might be willing to open his heart to a new friend. It's part of that circle of life we all go through.

My guys also like the kinds of toys that dangle from a rod - like a fishing pole.

8. Jenn & Baxter

Jenn & Baxter Well-Known Member

Ann, I am so sorry that you & Simba are going through this sad loss. Animals grieve just like humans. Give Simba lots of love & attention right now & give him some time. If another cat comes into your life then that's how it's suppose to be.

Hugs for both of you. :YMHUG:
    Jenn & Baxter

9. Ann & Scatcats

My deepest thank yous everyone! I've talked to Simba he has to keep fighting, and that we have to stick together him and I and take care of eachother, because that is what Gustav would have wanted us to do.

So while I will try to keep navigating Simba with and through his diabetes, diarreha problems and other problems he has, Simba and I also have a learning period ahead of us, practising to establish new patterns that is tailored after us.

He had never played with humans when he came as baby boy in 1996, he only played with Gustav, so for many many years he just sat there and watched with big eyes when Gustav played with toys and catch with me, and it is Gustav who has been Simba's teacher in how one play with humans.

Simba wants to run a little every day. As I am supposed to chase him and catch him, and then I run and hide and he comes after to find me. And I have given him a box to have in the living room, and he has our scratch pole where he does some nail and leg exercising. They have a red laser pen, but that was fun for a while but then not so funny, and they have a large cat nip mouse which he however have lost interest in, to cuddle with. Then they have mice and different balls, but those have really not been of interest to Simba for a long while. I tried to wrestle little with him too, but I am not the same as Gustav.

I'll see if I can come up with some new toys and Simba and I-games perhaps.

10. Suzanne&Grey

Suzanne&Grey Member

I'm so sorry about Gustav, and sorry for you and Simba. When I lost my black cat years ago to cancer, Grey and I felt lost. I let Grey tell me what she needed. Sometimes, because I was a wreck emotionally, all I could offer was lap/snuggle time instead of playing. She was a good sport about it; often just petting her in my lap was enough.

Fly free Gustav!

Suzanne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.