Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by primalkitty, Jul 1, 2017.
Upped dose to 5.25 and seeing all yellows!!!
Ah, opened my big mouth. Got a red for PM test.
All blacks, getting worried!
Don't get too worried yet, you're just seeing the icky black PS numbers. He may be getting some yellows or high blues in his cycle . Have you been able to do weekly ketone tests? When my boy would start giving higher PS numbers, I'd try to get a ketone test done, even if the last one was just a few days before. I try to get one weekly.
I will try to get ketone today! Thank you!!
Yellow this morning
I have not been able to get ketone test done. I also raised him to 5.5. Still seeing yellows and reds. I sure hope we can get him stable!
He is playing more now and isn't as water crazy!
Playing more and not as water crazy are good signs!
We have been dealing with stalking and harassment issues so haven't been able to focus much on Griff's mid-cycle testing. I have been giving 5.5 u and his numbers are kinda all over the place. Should I raise or try to get a couple mid-cycles first?
He still is doing great!
Those yellow AM pre shots tell me that more info from mid cycle is needed - as much and as often as you can manage.
Oh my , hope those things have settled!
I agree with Kris, that 5.5U dose is doing something so try to gather some mid cycle data before increasing again.
Unfortunately, no....having to go to court
I got 348 this AM and a +2 of 286. Will get another in a couple hours. We have a tour coming up shortly.
I don't think I have enough data to make any real decisions. I have been trying to keep my head above water with all that is going on here all the while trying to keep Griff on a schedule.
Should I increase or just keep trying to get more mid-cycles?
Hmm . I'm going to vote for more mid cycles before an increase again. The 5.5U dose is still causing a much lower PS than the previous. *In show me the money rhythm* Show us the mid cycles!
And for you, Jessie
Thank you for the hugs, I need them! It is very trying right now!!
On the up side......+3 126 woot woot
Holy smokes, just got a 57 +5!!! Yikes, is that good or?????
Wow! Definitely no dose increase! 57 is a great number, and shows for certain that Griff is responding well to the insulin now. If there's anyway to grab one more test just to make sure he's still above 50, that would be great.
Some good news, yay!!!! Just did a +7 144.
Thank you so happy to finally have some progress!!!!!
You'll want to be careful about those mid-cycles now. If he hits 50, that's the number where you'll need to take action to keep him from going any lower. Getting that 57 was pretty close. Based on the faster bouncing in the past few weeks, this may not be the first time he's flirted with that bottom range. I understand there is a lot going on for you guys right now, but do the best you can to keep an eye on those mid-cycle numbers so he doesn't go too low.
Will do! If he does go below 50 then I need to give him something, right? I don't have Karo syrup on hand, I do have glucose tabs. Or, what else could I use?
You can give a bit of gravy from a chunks in gravy style canned cat food. You can also add a little honey to his regular low carb wet food. You could also make a sugar in water solution and add a bit if that to the low carb food. The glucose tabs could be dissolved in water and used the same way. Sugar syrup alone wears off quickly. The BG raising effect is longer if it's added to a small amount of wet food.
Why do you ask about the age of the insulin? I was told that, if properly stored, it should last until it runs out?
Chloe has been getting high numbers since January. Is that what caused the ketoacidosis?
Insulin doesn't last until it runs out. It depends on the vial but it does often start to lose effectiveness after a few months. When numbers are high for no reason that's one thing I check.
As for Chloe, higher numbers do increase the risk of ketones...and since she's been DKA before she's at a MUCH higher risk of getting them again. Extremely vigilant testing of her BG every day and ketone tests every few days are necessary to help mitigate that risk.
PS didn't mean to hijack your thread Jessie! What great numbers today!!!!!
New bottle 8/4. Seeing all colors today. PM test 487.
I am so so so glad you all are here to help 'cause, especially what is going on with the bouncy numbers, I would normally be totally freaking out. Now, I am just partially freaking out
no worries!! this is all about helping and I am so happy that all these paw-some people are here to help!!!
I have to say, Jessie, I'm pretty excited to see Griff get a good, smile-shaped curve! Fingers crossed there are some more of those in his future!
It's great to see a curve! A bit low in the middle but there's definite progress. It's not unusual for bouncy cats to have a more extreme curve which is why the mid cycle data is so important for them. If you look only at their PSs you can be lulled into thinking that the dose is safe when, really, they've dropped very (too) low in the middle. My guy is very bouncy too and I always gave much more attention to middle cycle BGs when he was on ProZinc.
I will keep doing mid-cycles as I can. It is so nice to see some light at the end of the tunnel!!!
So my curve, or lack thereof, is going a bit flat. Just pinks and yellows.
Are you still holding 5.5U past two mornings? He might still be boucing from that green. The average to clear a bounce is up to 6 cycles but some kitties do take a little longer. There's one in Lantus land who takes a minimum of 8 cycles to clear a bounce . If he doesn't show signs of clearing it in another day (2 cycles) you can try to fatten the dose before jumping to 5.75U.
Yes, still holding at 5.5. We were dealing with lawyers, etc. so not able to get more mid-cycles.
That's ok, I was just checking because I didn't see doses and don't like to assume . I hope those things settle smoothly and quickly for you
Pink, blue, red.
And, thanks! I hope things settle soon, too!
I like those blues and that green a few days ago. Keep getting those extra tests when you can.
Will do! 111 +5
Okay, still having some "life" issues and trying to keep up with Griff's numbers. I was able to get some mid-cycles a few days ago, but the last few days have been chaos!!
He seems to be stalling again at the 300's. We had a couple of bad readings due to naughty Griff eating dog kibble one day and a 1/2 missed injection. Is it time to increase again?
Maybe a curve on the weekend and then a dose increase?
I can probably do a sporadic curve. It is Labor Day weekend and I imagine we are going to be super busy here at the farm.
I will get a few more mid-cycles today since I am in between lawyers and court dates!
wondering if you can extrapolate any info from yesterdays numbers?
I would say that a dose increase is in order because he's been high for a while and might be stuck. That green of two weeks ago is ancient history at this point. You can go to 5.75 u and squeeze in as many tests as possible with your busy schedule. I'd try to get a couple of evening tests in. If you could monitor more easily, a jump to 6.0 u can be done at this dose level but I think conservative is best in your case.
Thank you! I raised him to 5.75 this morning. Will keep trying for those tests!!
Wow, been a long time since I posted. I raised Griff to 6 units on 9/19 AM. Seeing some blues and yellows!
Just got a mid-cycle green! 77 Good, yes?
Yes, very good!
Whoop whoop! A green is always good!!!!
Very nice . Now don't celebrate too much on the trampoline, Griff
Hard to keep up online with everything going on around here Griff definitely got on the "trampoline" . Numbers all over the place. I raised his dosage to 6.25 yesterday. I was thinking we were soooo close to having the correct dose.
It's still possible and keep in mind that correct dose is more of a "working dose" that can change, so you still might be in the sweet area
Should be able to get some mid-cycles tomorrow. Today was impossible. Thank you!!!!
Separate names with a comma.