Gucci not eating

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by GucciMaine's Madre, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GucciMaine's Madre

GucciMaine's Madre New Member

We started 2 units of Lantus three days ago. He seems much more alert, is not overloading the litterbox every day, and I think is doing much better. The vet gave him an injection for a really bad UTI, which I'm sure helped him feel better, and helped the elimination thing. But he went from eating a half a cup of food a day to not even a quarter. Should I worry?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Watch this closely. Is he showing signs of nausea (lip licking, going to food and leaving before eating much) or pain (sitting hunched up)? So many things can be behind this from the trivial to the potentially serious.

3. GucciMaine's Madre

No, he seems happy and at ease. Much better than in a long time. He's always been a little-bit-at-a-time eater, so it's hard to tell. I'm working twelve hour shifts, and am watching him closely when I'm home. He's even sleeping with me, which he loves. The vet said to feed him twice a day, which I've been doing, but he takes his time eating, and I give him his shot after he eats his little bit at first. Should I take his food up, and see if that changes his eating habits? I'm trying not to change everything at once, so I'm just trying to ease him into this. He did have a continuous feeder, so he's not liking seeing the bottom of the bowl. He used to hunt me down and meow at me when he did. Haha. Now he seems resigned to his fate.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Vets often say to feed twice a day only (mine did) but most of us don't listen to that. Kitties seem happier when the daily ration is given in several small meals a day. It can also help to stabilize their blood glucose. An automatic feeder that opens at set times is ideal for this if you're away from home. I'm not sure what you mean by a continuous feeder.

5. GucciMaine's Madre

The continuous feeder is one of those bowls with a big reservoir on the back that continously trickles food into the bowl. I'm just concerned about taking him to the vet in two weeks, and she said to bring him in without feeding him, and that they'd feed him and give him his insulin when he got there at 7 am, and I guess they'll be doing his curves all day-if that's what you call it. I don't want to do anything that would mess that up. That's why I was thinking I needed to get him on a routine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.