Gypsy: 9/22 Update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Arkali, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Arkali

Arkali Member

Hi, all!
    I know I haven't been around much. Totally swamped with work and everything else, but I figured I'd pop in and update everyone on Gypsy. She's doing great. She's not completely off the juice--she still needed a drop of insulin every other day for a while, then to every third day, and so on. Tomorrow will be day seven with no insulin, so I'm hopeful she may be in remission for a while. :fingers crossed:

I just want to give everyone here a HUGE thank-you for your patience and kindness to me. I was very freaked out when she was diagnosed and probably not the brightest bulb in the box when it came to getting the hang of stuff. Thank you so, so much!

2. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Go Gypsy! Go Gypsy! Go Gypsy! Go Gypsy! Go Gypsy! Go Gypsy! Go Gypsy!

Arkali and LizzieInTexas like this.
  3. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Gypsy (love the name) is looking really great! :D

Arkali likes this.
  4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Arkali likes this.
  5. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Congrats on Day 7 OTJ!! Party is only a few days away - 14 days total, right??? Oh la la...Miss Luci will be looking for her pawty dress :)

Arkali likes this.
  6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Congrats for 7 days of being juice free. Olive loves the parties, she will start primping soon.

Oh and this bulb is still dull.

Arkali likes this.
  7. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I'm glad someone told you to start posting about your OTJ trial! Happy day 7! :D

Arkali likes this.
  8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If I may ask a favor...

Can you get some random spot checks? It's looking like even on the days when you're giving Gypsy a "drop" of insulin, her numbers are in the normal range. You may not need to be shooting.

Rather, making sure she has food throughout the day (I saw in your signature that she "grazes"), that may help to keep her numbers flat and green. (The food stimulates the pancreas to produce insulin.)

These are the instructions for an OTJ trial:
    • If he/she is green at your normal test times, no need to test further until the next "PS" time; just feed small meals and go about your day. If he/she is blue at your normal "PS", feed a small meal and test again after about 3 or 4 hours. If his/her number is lower 3-4 hours after a meal, then the pancreas is working!
    • Post every day so we can monitor your progress and see if any tweaks are needed. He/she may have a sporadic blue number. Don't panic but post before you decide whether to shoot so we can have a discussion.
    • After 14 days of no insulin, we have a party!!
    Sometimes the trial doesn't work the first time and we have to give a little more support in the form of resuming insulin. It's not the end of the world if that happens; we just give him/her the support needed. Our goal is a strong remission and it's better to take our time to get that than to rush into remission just to have it fail later on.

Good luck with the trial!!!

Once Gypsy is through the trial successfully, you enter a new phase. Your cat is still diabetic but has now become diet-controlled. Continue feeding low carb food in the manner successful for your kitty. If you decide to change his/her feeding schedule, let your meter be your guide to the best times to feed. Avoid medications with sugar in them and steroid medications unless they are medically essential. Continue testing blood glucose weekly for the first month and then monthly forever. It's a good idea to weigh him/her monthly. Weight should remain stable. If he/she seems "off" or sick, or is showing signs of diabetes (excessive drinking, eating, urinating, weight loss), test his/her blood glucose right away. Keep the teeth and gums clean and healthy; dental issues can bring a cat out of remission. If you see rising blood glucose numbers, it's time for a visit to the vet!

Arkali likes this.
  9. Arkali

Arkali Member

@Sienne and Gabby (GA) , thanks! She actually just kind of fell into an OtJ trial. I didn't officially start her on it. Well, we had tried a couple of months ago, but around day 3 her numbers started steadily creeping up. So we went to a drop as needed. And it's just been longer and longer between drops, if you follow me? But I'll take it :)

10. Camille and Cyclone

Camille and Cyclone Well-Known Member

F59C9E2C-FD71-4931-96B8-ECA89219AFF2.jpeg

I've sent a pm with details! :)

Arkali likes this.