"H1 on the ReliOn Micro?! Over 600 what to do? DISREGARD THREAD

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mocha aka Cold Play, Nov 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mocha aka Cold Play

Mocha aka Cold Play Well-Known Member

Today is the first day in well over a month she keeps drinking. Is there anything to do for over 600 other than test her again?

I am wondering if a close encounter with the other female cat, though they did not even touch each other, which stressed her due to a heavy exhale might be the cause of the spike of stress to glucose? Don't know how long that takes to recover. I tell her "safe" in situations where she is concerned and it helps her and I did that and she walked away from the other cat. I am thinking some chin rubs may bring it down if that was it.....

Her food was the same and gave 30 and 15 minutes prior to the test. So don't think that did it.

1/2 dose last night because lacking test data must have really shot her up. Won't do that next time.

Just want to know if you just carry on with the normal dosing, I would think until I get a full week with solid injections @ 4.

She just keyed into her spreadsheet. Gotta love them!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  2. Mocha aka Cold Play

just tested again 523.....

3. Anne & Hyde (GA)

Anne & Hyde (GA) Well-Known Member

Well, now you know :) We all have to learn how our individual cat's will react to the insulin. Next time, you will feel more confident shooting a lower number than you are used to. With high numbers you do need to watch for ketones.

I assume that you have given her the regular dose of 4u. Its not entered into her spreadsheet.

Mocha aka Cold Play likes this.
  4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Please remember to link your thread from the previous day to the current thread. It helps if we need to go back and see what your thinking was or what the feedback you received was.

Mocha's Condo from 11/10

I have some observations and information. First, the observation. You need to routinely get PM tests. Many cats run in lower numbers during the PM cycle. You risk missing a dangerously low number or the need for a dose reduction if you don't get, at the very least, a before bed test every night. It also makes it difficult to interpret your SS if half of the data is missing.

There is a common misperception that if a kitty's numbers can drop from 300 to 100 during a cycle that if you get a pre-shot number in the 100s and give the same amount of insulin, it will cause the cat to be in dangerously low numbers. So, many people will see a lower pre-shot than usual and shoot a reduced dose. While that sounds like the logical thing to do, numbers don't usually plummet -- they can, but they usually don't. It's no surprise that you are seeing high numbers this morning given that you cut the dose in half. What you don't seem to have factored in is that you had a 143 at +10 and a PMPS of 225. Numbers were rising by your PMPS.

Here's how I would have looked at your situation last night. During the AM cycle, you started with a preshot of 324. By +10, numbers were in the mid 100s and may have been even lower earlier in the cycle. That's a large enough drop to trigger a bounce in a kitty that's not yet used to spending time in lower numbers. In fact, by your PM +1, numbers bounced (although you may have wanted to re-test since that 452 was a big spike and may have been a meter or strip glitch). By virtue of reducing the dose and the possibility of the bounce continuing, you ended up with a very high AMPS today. It was a reasonably predictable outcome.

Also, you have two 11/11 dates on Mocha's SS.

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

6. Mocha aka Cold Play

Yes, she was given 4.0, as scheduled. If I can catch her in the litter box today, what number am I watching for? I just got strips yesterday.

And, what action do you take for what number?

7. Mocha aka Cold Play

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Carla's input is spot on -- change your subject line rather than opening new threads/condos if at all possible. Otherwise, you end up having to link more than one condo. This forum is very big and very busy. Every time you add a new thread or add to an existing thread, other people's condos/threads are pushed to the bottom. This is the other reason we try to keep as much as possible consolidated.

To link your condos:

• Go to the condo from the previous day and copy the the location information from the top of your browser (the http:// line)
    • Open a new condo for the current day
    • in the large text box, click on the icon at the top of the box that looks like a paper clip/link.This will open a dialogue box.
    • Paste the location into the box.
    • Click on "Insert"
    If you want to give the insert a name (like I did above with your condo link, in the new condo for the day:
    • type in what you want to call the link
    • highlight/block the text you just typed
    • click on the link icon
    • paste in the location of the previous day's condo
    • click on "Insert"
    I generally also bold the link but that's optional.

9. Mocha aka Cold Play

You are not supposed to always link the prior day though are you?
    Also, for night testing, if I do a +1, +2 and +3 and I see a dip and it going up again, I would not need to test again before amps? Or when I see that pattern, if longer, when it goes up again the testing would be done?

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

@ColdPlay -

Since you should have one condo per cat per day, yes, you want to always link the previous day's condo.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  11. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Most likely you would be done, unless you're dealing with really low numbers. Then you should ask if you need to test again. As you get more data, you'll learn Mocha's patterns.

Are you able to get a test before AMPS? For example, a +10 or +11 from the night before? This will tell you if Mocha is going up or down at AMPS time.

12. Anne & Hyde (GA)

Anne & Hyde (GA) Well-Known Member

Luckily for me, Hyde has never had ketones (anti-jinx) even thought she is routinely in high numbers. I think if the ketostix reads more than trace, you need to get to the vet. Anybody else please chime in if I am wrong.

13. Mocha aka Cold Play

will try to get in habit. thanks.

14. Mocha aka Cold Play

Yes I can get up earlier and test with the first feeding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.