? Had a AMPS+4 reading of 45 BG - BG ok now, but what to do? (Using Vetsulin)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LaraB, Mar 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaraB

LaraB Member

I couldn't really get on the computer today because it's just been one of those days. In the middle of it all, Joshi's AMPS+4 BG reading was 45. Was able to get her readings in on the Google app on my phone.

To preface things up to this point - her PMPS reading last night was right at 200 (only 205 post feeding - she didn't eat a lot). So, we didn't give a shot last night. This morning, her AMPS reading was 314. She had her morning feeding shortly after that, where she didn't much, but we thought it was at least enough to give her normal shot. The AMPS+4 was when I could first test her and got the low reading. :( She was non-symptomatic, so I'm glad we caught it with home-testing.

First thing I did was rub Karo on her gums and feed her some HC canned. Her blood sugar rose a little - I continually fed her the HC mixed with a little Karo, so by AMPS+6.5, she was at least 81. Tested her about 30-40 minutes later - back down to 51. :( This was around one of their regular feedings, so I put out her - she's at 46. AT this point, I pulled out the Temptations treats we have on hand and fed a wholehandful, each one dipped in a little Karo to supplement. About 20 minutes later, she up to 81. Fed a couple more for good measure. BG AMPS+9 is at 105. By AMPS+10, she's at 142.

All of our cats have been very picky about their food the last couple of days, not just Joshi. Having lived with cats literally my whole life, I know this can be normal. It also seems like there has been a spate of hairball coughing up almost all the cats (including Joshi) - I swear the cats sync-up their hairball schedules. (I noticed a few other FDMB members have been posting some similar issues this same week, too).

I'll be testing her in about 15 minutes at what would be her normal PMPS, but I think regardless of her reading, I won't be giving her regular dose tonight, if at all I doubt it will be above 200. (NOTE: Read update below). I will definitely be consulting with our vet, but what are people's thoughts? This was the longest stretch of staying in the lower greens and first time (that I know of) she was in the light greens. :nailbiting: Her PS readings have been a little more erratic this week, so I'm wondering if she's having more bounces. On a positive note, she has not had a reading above 400 for a month now.

(Just so people know - during the week I work 40+ hours a week outside the home, so getting data during the day isn't really doable until weekends.)

UPDATE: Her PMPS reading is 314. Currently feeding her, but should I give any insulin?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    Reason for edit: Posted PMPS reading
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

For one thing, you definitely want to reduce her dose!

I don't use Vetsulin, but if she's not over 200, we don't recommend giving any since it's a harsh insulin that hits hard and fast....and especially if she's not eating normally

LaraB and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  3. LaraB

LaraB Member

You posted as I was editing my original post....her PMPS reading is 314. I'm sure the HC Temptations treats are working their "magic." Should I still not give a shot tonight? I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I totally agree - her dose needs to be reduced. I don't think my vets will disagree, thankfully.

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Is Joshi ketone-prone or does she have any history of DKA?

Also are you still transitioning to low carb food (as mentioned in your sig)?

5. LaraB

LaraB Member

Oh, we've transitioned. I should probably change that in my sig. She's never tested positive for ketones or had DKA.

6. Chris & China (GA)

Since she's not eating normally, I'd suggest reducing to 1U or 1.5 U....at least she'd be getting some insulin

If she was eating normally, I might suggest going back to 2U, but since I don't know Vetsulin that well, I'm erring on the side of safety

7. LaraB

LaraB Member

She kind of nibbled at her food tonight - I'm going to be completely safe and forgo the shot (I'm too much of a chicken). She got a lot of extra food and treats shoved at her today, so I'm sure she's full, poor thing. With clocks moving forward, she'll be getting her AM shot an hour earlier than usual, so it'll only be 23 hours since her last shot - hopefully that'll work in her favor even though it's only an hour. In the morning, we'll determine the dose based on her reading and the amount she eats. I'll probably leave a message for the vet on call just to see what they might recommend.

I'm just really, really hoping (to see things on the positive side), that the reason for some her lower readings lately is because her pancreas is kicking into a gear a little more.

8. LaraB

LaraB Member

Today, we cut her dose down to 2u. I was going to do 1.5U if she was picky with her food again, but her appetite was normal, so we felt okay doing 2. At AMPS+4, she was at 56.:( Tested her 30 minutes later after giving some HC treats - 53. Gave her some more with a few dipped in Karo. Tested 15 minutes later - she's at 100. Will keep testing to make sure she doesn't have another drop.

I know last night I skipped her evening dose even though she was at 314, but after digging into some older posts on the board, I realize now I probably should have at least given her a small token dose since she wasn't below 200. Still learning...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    Reason for edit: Added last test result
  9. LaraB

LaraB Member

AMPS+5.5 - 149. I think we'll be okay. It's getting close to normal feeding time, too. So, definitely not as bad as yesterday.

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Chris & China (GA)

You've done good today Lara!!

Hopefully these are signs of something good happening with Joshi's pancreas!

LaraB likes this.
  11. LaraB

LaraB Member

I hope so too. (*antijinx*) It seems like Vetsulin doesn't work for s lot of cats, so I think we've been relatively lucky. So far, she doesn't have any other major health issues (*major antijinx there*). I'm hopeful, but cautious, too. I'm seeing that a few sugar babies on the board who've had past success with Vetsulin are now having problems, so that'll always be at the back of my mind. :(

This whole week has been incredibly stressful for other reasons, so having Joshi at risk of hypo this weekend really only added to it. Thankfully, just reading info on this board has made me much more prepared.

On another positive note - two of our vets (actually husband and wife) attended a vet conference a couple of weeks ago. One of the speakers was an expert on feline diabetes. The husband said he thought about me when the speaker cited research that shows cats whose BG is tested at home have a better chance of going into remission. Not a lot of their clients are willing to home test, so I'm glad they are on board with me doing it. In fact, they have a diabetic cat of their own - I was able to pass on info to him for low carb treats. :cat:

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. Chris & China (GA)

I wonder if the husband/wife vets learned that there are much better insulins than Vetsulin and will start recommending Lantus, Levemir or ProZinc?

Critter Mom likes this.
  13. LaraB

LaraB Member

I'll have to ask about that. See what they've recommended to others.

14. LaraB

LaraB Member

I did talk to the vet today. She definitely agreed that her dose needed to lowered. Her suggestion was 2U, though I may try 1.5U to start and work up to 2 if that seems insufficient. I did 1.5 last night. This morning, her AMPS BG was 171 - so no shot (especially since I'm at work today). My vet seemed encouraged. :) Really hoping this is something good, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.