Hairball/Constipation ideas?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by melinda and talbot, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melinda and talbot

melinda and talbot Member

I am wondering what people are using for hairballs now for their diabetic cats. I used to use Vetbasis and I know that is no longer available.

Talbot seemed to be straining in the litter box and when he finally went it was pretty dry and hard. I gave him some miralax and a 1/2 tsp of olive oil. I've used miralax before but not olive oil. I try to stay away from too much fat due to pancreatitis but I had heard that olive oil could be used. He seemed fine until last night when I had to help him get rid of a very dry piece of poo. It appeared to be mostly hair. Hope this is not too much info!

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I use mineral oil. 3-5cc once a day for maybe 3 days, until things are moving. Too much more, and my Ennis gets too loose.

3. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

plain vaseline will also work. you have to be very careful using mineral oil -- if it is aspirated into the lungs can cause problems.

try adding extra water into food. water is key !

here is another recent post on constipation that might give you other ideas.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12283

btw - not too much information ! we are all expert litter box deposit analysts. ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.