Hairballs... Yuck!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jayleybird, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayleybird

Jayleybird New Member

I have posted previously about my kitty Damian who was on insulin for 2 years and had recently been switched off insulin to a high protein low carb diet. Great News! His insulin levels are staying even! Bad news.... over the last 4 days he has been coughing up very large (and very smelly) hairballs! Something he has never had a problem with. Any suggestions on what I can do to help my poor guy out?

Thank you!

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Is Damian furry or does he have furry friends? Any new changes in the environment?

Brushing can reduce the amount of fur that he eats -- one of my kitties eats carpet fuzz, ribbons, etc -- I have to keep ribbons, rubber bands, etc hidden away. Can't do much about carpet fuzz except vacuum

3. RuBee

RuBee Member

First of all - congratulations Jayleybird! That really is great news - worthy of a kitty party I'd say (just no cake!)

But to your problem... we get hairballs too on occasion, so I "ditto" the brushing. It's really the only advice I can give on the subject other than keeping him shaven all the time. Rufus' fur is long going down the center of his back, and then turns to cotton fluff on the sides and underneath - that cotton fluff fur makes "great barfs". If Damian (or another long-haired cat) is resistant to the idea of brushing, sometimes doing it gently (but persistently) while they're eating helps. Rufus seems to see it as "petting".

P.S. a comb like the Furminator (we use a $3 knock off - works plenty well enough) goes a long way to removing any undercoat that may be causing problems.

P.P.S. You know, some cats really do have strange eating habits. My "nephew", George, goes after plastic (especially grocery bags) like you wouldn't believe. My sister and brother-in-law have to lock up every plastic, or otherwise plastic-like thing in their home (including vinyl shower curtain liners!) so he doesn't get a snack! Holy Intestinal Obstruction, Batman! :eek:

Edited for "Bathman" lol.

4. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Being owned by 3 now 2 long haired cats, hairballs are just part of life or so it seems. One thing that has seemed to help somewhat besides the brushing, is a tiny bit of vaseline on their noses where they can lick it off. Had a long time breeder of Himalayans give me the tip when I first got Muse. Although during major shedding times we are still on hairball alert here. The funny thing is Angel the maine coon and the longer haired of the two doesn't hack up as many hairballs as Onyx who is more plushy than long haired.

But then again Onyx is a furry goat, thus momma has to be an excellent housekeeper...lol His favorite is cellophane, he will find the smallest piece of it regardless of where it is. Bert (blue point siamese) is my paper and plastic chewer. So no grocery bags or shower curtains left in his reach, and surprisely not many hairballs from him either.

Mel & Muse (GA)

5. Jayleybird

Jayleybird New Member

Damain is a short-haired kitty and absolutely hates to be brushed. He sees the brush come out and books it for under the bed! I have tried a few variations of brushes and it is still a no go. He only likes to be touched on his terms lol. Lately I have been having a lot of luck with winter mitten that has a clingy texture to the palm. But i have noticed he has been shedding lot more over the last month even with regular "brushing". I am just a little paranoid that it has something to do with his on-going health struggle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.